The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 1
Not as expensive, but still highly expensive. For example:

Permanent parking space in central London: £130,000
Permanent parking space in central Edinburgh: £20,000

Also, drinks in some of the more up-market places pubs and clubs are expensive, as well as really crap take-away food. But, apparantly on the great scale of things London is the 3rd most expensive city to live in, and Edinburgh is the 15th most expensive city to live in, in the entire world, so I suppose that's a fair gap.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
foxo
Not as expensive, but still highly expensive. For example:

Permanent parking space in central London: £130,000
Permanent parking space in central Edinburgh: £20,000

Also, drinks in some of the more up-market places pubs and clubs are expensive, as well as really crap take-away food. But, apparantly on the great scale of things London is the 3rd most expensive city to live in, and Edinburgh is the 15th most expensive city to live in, in the entire world, so I suppose that's a fair gap.

I live in london now and am moving to edinburgh in august. I have family and friends in edinburgh and they've told me that edinburgh is cheaper...

London is very expensive, especially for going out. Edinburgh is not as bad at all, taxi's cost a 1/4 of what they do in london, food is cheaper and so is drink. Of course there are exceptions, but by and large for a student it's cheaper than london
Reply 3
SamJL
I live in london now and am moving to edinburgh in august. I have family and friends in edinburgh and they've told me that edinburgh is cheaper...

London is very expensive, especially for going out. Edinburgh is not as bad at all, taxi's cost a 1/4 of what they do in london, food is cheaper and so is drink. Of course there are exceptions, but by and large for a student it's cheaper than london

That's what I was saying.

But it's still not "cheap".
Reply 4
foxo
That's what I was saying.

But it's still not "cheap".

Oh sorry!, You're right though, it's not as cheap as some other cities.... but then it's got a lot more going for it than some of the cheaper ones :wink:
Reply 5
I'm at ed uni and its no where near as expensive as london don't know who told u that!! rent averages around 260 a month and for that u can get something really nice. Like any city, drink can be expensive if u go to expensive places like the opal lounge. However if u go to the union pints are 1.35. there are plenty of pubs in newington and on grassmarket where pints are less than 2.00. Buses cost 80p for a single or 2.30 for a day ticket. taxis arent very expensive either. Only problem with the takeaways is that they all shut at 12 during the week but on fri and sat they are open till bout 3 or 4.

Edinburgh u also have the joys of scottish closing times so pubs dont close til 1 or 2 and clubs about 3 some 4
there is also a pub that reopens at 5am if u are that hard core

All in all edinburgh ROCKS! i love it and would not be anywhere else. And if i can offer one peice of advice it is join a society, its a great way to make friends and its so much fun. Go to the sports fairs at the pleasence during freshers week and check out the KORFBALL stand i'll be there!!

Hope that helps people!
good luck with ur results, and see u in september hopefully!
xxx
Reply 6
Heh, korfball. Our school took a trip to Holland and we had to learn korfball for it. When we went to Holland, after spending a fair amount of time having practiced, it turned out korfball had been out of fashion for years and half the kids at the school we visited didn't know how to play it.
Reply 7
i agree about the bus system...its great in edinburgh (even if the daysavers have gone up 30p!!)
Reply 8
foxo
Heh, korfball. Our school took a trip to Holland and we had to learn korfball for it. When we went to Holland, after spending a fair amount of time having practiced, it turned out korfball had been out of fashion for years and half the kids at the school we visited didn't know how to play it.

I had never heard of krofball. I just looked it up. It sounds like a lot of fun. Does this game need much practice?
Reply 9
Well, we only spent 2 hours practicing, from memory it's slightly similar to basketball. It was probably on one of the Edinburgh Uni sports campuses, Fuzzy Duck.
racheld1985
i agree about the bus system...its great in edinburgh (even if the daysavers have gone up 30p!!)

Argh damn Daysavers!!! I remember the days (just a couple of years ago) when they only cost £1.50. On the subject of buses, what's your opinion of the conversion of Princes Street into a major bus route? It's very strange...
it is a bit weird, feels funny having buses/taxis being able to drive over what used to be pavement at the west end of princes street although it makes some of my journeys quicker as i dont have to the loop round charlotte sq/george st. also confusing trying to find the new bus stops...i was on a bus at midnight when the route changed and it turned a corner only to discover the road blocked off. cue an interesting diversion but you would have thought the drivers would know!!
Reply 12
Hello I have recieved a offer from UNi of Edinburgh for MSc in Artificial Intelligence for 2005/2006, I was worried about the Job propectus in the field of AI, Does Fresh Talent Scheme help in reducing our burden in getting job. Please write back to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello I have recieved a offer from UNi of Edinburgh for MSc in Artificial Intelligence for 2005/2006, I was worried about the Job propectus in the field of AI, Does Fresh Talent Scheme help in reducing our burden in getting job. Please write back to me.

Latest