The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

corey
Thugzmansions answer is in relation to the balance of payments and not the govermment budget - do not follow his advice.

I would tackle this question like so;

1) Defiition of a balanced budget (revenue = expenditure)

2) If we mean the budget should be balanced every single year (which is obviously stupid due to economic cycles) or it should be balanced over the economic cycle (which allows for the the flucations)

3) Case for a balanced budget
i) High national debt means higher tax burden for fiuture generations (thus, lower growth etc.)
ii) Stops crowding out (too much government spending limiting private sector)
iii) The automatic stabaliser affect of fiscal policy should mean over the economic cycle the budget is balanced always
iv) Structual vs Cyclical deficits. If you have a permenant deficit it means there is a structual deficieny within the economy requires more spending etc - kinda bad
v) If you have a large deficit, you have more people competing for a limited pool of resoucrs which may push up interest rates - limiting growth.

4) Case against
i) In times of recession its just impossible to balance and also necessay to be unbalanced to push economy forwards
ii) Golden rule within the UK and why spending for investment is actual benficial even if we run a budget deficit (LRA shifts out)
iii) Govermment spending to lure private investors (Public-Private finance intiaitves)
iv) May be necessary for spending on merit goods)
v) UK is credit worthy, and we can easily borrow, as long as our debt to GDP ratio remains reasonable.

Erm...thats off top of my head, i'm sure theres quite a lot of other stuff also.

I'll check the mark scheme, but SURELY the amount of gov. spending encoporates with the BoP!?
Reply 41
ThugzMansion7
I'll check the mark scheme, but SURELY the amount of gov. spending encoporates with the BoP!?

Thats what I used to think...but actually my economics teacher pointed out that the two are not really connected.
Reply 42
Don't understand - how can you think that budget balance is the same as BoP? =s
Reply 43
ThugzMansion7

Our trade in goods/services and capital inflows have nothing directly to do with the government. They may be influenced by how they spend there money (supply side stuff etc) but are *not* the same in any way shape or form as the budget balance of the goverment which is pure tax revenue/government spending.
Reply 44
TheWolf
Anyone got any notes on for and against regulation of marketse.g. OFgem/oftel/ofwat..etc?

Hmm i suppose alot of it is relating back to monopoly =\

for
1. simulation of market forces can lead to:
a lower price, increasing consumer welfare and net welfare gain
b more allocative effeciency as price falls closer to marginal costs
c increase consumer choice by rewarding product differentiation? (I think)
2. regulator can reduce barriers to entry and encpourage real competition as well (better than simulating it)
3. can give incentives to product quality, eg. imposition of fines on rail companies when trains run late

against
1. possible government faliure:
a regulatory capture
b regulator may misjudge firm's costs and cause harm to growth
c too much "red tape" may cause a firm to respond in anticipation of regulation, raising costs
d may simply not be cost effective
2. regulator's job may be done - once competition is established the competition comission can take over

I think thats it..
Reply 45
corey
There is no need to illustrate it at all, only to state what you mean by being more productively efficient.

You are wrong to think that LRAS moves outward due to an increase in productive efficieny. The LRAS supply measures the maximum potential output if we were all productively efficient and utlilising resources to our maximum.

The PPF diagram would be a movement towards operating on our PPF, not an outward shift of it.

I think LRAS which utilises the natural rate of employment is different from full capacity (YFE) where everyone is in employment (ie. maximum potential as you say).

The LRAS measures the maximum potential output in the long run, not just if we were all productively efficient. What does productive efficiency mean, every firm is at the bottom of their ATC curves?

Do you mean something different by productive efficiency and productivity? Because I have been taught that by increasing productivity you can certainly increase the LRAS of an economy.
Reply 46
Can anyone help me out?? I've been reading about restictive practices that oligopolies or monopolies might be guilty of and one of the restrictive practices that text books seem to mention is PRICE DISCRIMINATION. I just don't really understand how price discrimination is a restrictive practice, can anybody shed a bit of light on this?
Reply 47
Schoolboy error to confuse the trade defecit with the budget defecit.

for the question on balancing the budget, I'd say:

for:

maintain constant national debt :
1. non-increasing interest repayments on it
2. easier achievement of Euro convergence criteria (no more than 3% defecit, 60% overall debt)
3. avoid intergenerational inequity associated with larger future debt
4. restraint on use of fiscal policy may prevent monetary accomadation as a reaction to supply-side shocks

against:

1. short run unbalance is nessecary as part of fiscal policy
2. government may make money to pay off national debt by running a long run surplus, leading to even better results than those stated above
3. may be nessecary in a crisis, eg. in the aftermath of a large natural disaster. a sustained defecit due to redevelopment requiring government funding
Reply 48
Restrictive practices restricts competition right. And it does as price discrimination charges higher price than a normal market. It is neither allocatively nor productively efficient. E.g. an extreme form of 1st degree p.d. could lead to no consumer surplus.
Reply 49
TheWolf
Restrictive practices restricts competition right. And it does as price discrimination charges higher price than a normal market. It is neither allocatively nor productively efficient. E.g. an extreme form of 1st degree p.d. could lead to no consumer surplus.

But how does this keep other firms out of the market?
Reply 50
Higher profits --> bigger monopoly power?
Reply 51
I was under the impression price discrimination was a charachteristic of monopoly power, but obviously can happen in an oligopoly as we see it all the time.

think about cars... restrictive practices of volvo, their had selling power over their dealers and so only supplied to dealers who agreed to volvo's RRPs. but these RRPs were much higher in the UK than in the rest of Europe. price discrimination can be used, and enforced by power gained by restrictive practices (as dealers won't sell other cars if you threaten to stop supplying them)
Reply 52
mik1w
I think LRAS which utilises the natural rate of employment is different from full capacity (YFE) where everyone is in employment (ie. maximum potential as you say).

The LRAS measures the maximum potential output in the long run, not just if we were all productively efficient. What does productive efficiency mean, every firm is at the bottom of their ATC curves?

Do you mean something different by productive efficiency and productivity? Because I have been taught that by increasing productivity you can certainly increase the LRAS of an economy.

Productivity - outper per unit
Productive efficiency - producing at lowest point on AC curve

Productivity increase means that we have higher productive potential. I don't think this is the same as productive efficieny because - if for example we consider a firm brings in a capital machine that creates 2 units instead of 1than that is an increase in productivity but not necessarily in productive efficieny (the machine may cost the same amount as 2 units would have cost to make previously but just does it in less time)
Reply 53
if the machine "may cost the same amount as 2 units would have cost to make previously" then has productivity really increased? all you have done is change the defenition of "one unit"
I have currently got the following as the main ECN5 topics...

Externalities
Labour market (supply, demand, wage rates)
Firms (objectives, monopoly, oligopoly, monopsony, perfect competition, Growth, contestible markets, competition policy, privatisation)

Is that about it: -

ECN6: -

International Trade, Comparative and Absolute Advantage
Trade Protection
Shocks (Demand and Supply)
Economic Growth (Costs, Benefits)
Living Standards
Poverty (Relative, Absolute, Redistribution)
Unemployment
Inflation (measuring, phillips curve, types)
Quantity Theory of Money (keynesians and monetarists)
Balance of Payments
Exchange Rates
Globilisation

Think thats pretty much everything.... anything I've missed?
Reply 55
a few... no mention of price discrimination or regulation (small topics)

also poverty is in ECN5, and for ECN6 you might want to emphasise the international economics on the context of the UK within the EU/EMU possibly?
**added to list** thanks :smile:
Reply 57
Poverty (Relative, Absolute, Redistribution)

aint that in ECN5?
Yes, apologies, yes it is. Have no idea why I put it on ECN6 list.... and then stil didn't spot it when Mik1w mentioned it.

Often referred to as the "Economists Toolkit" I was wondering if there is a good list of economic words that can commonly be used when in the exam.

I've already uploaded in a small .zip file which has the terms "Expansionary Fiscal policy", "Contractionary Fiscal policy" etc..

But surely there must be some more out there that will impress the examiner. Could anyone suggest a few terms? (economic growth and terms like that are basic, so those aren't really needed.)

Latest

Trending

Trending