Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I'm new here, and from what I've seen this seems to be a really good website, definetly very helpful

Anyway, now for my question
    I just finished my junior year in high school and have decided I'd like to go to university in the UK for history. Heres my problem: My school doesn't teach any APs and doesn't really teach the content of SAT II's either. I could probably study for some of these myself, but it just seems unfair that UK universities won't even look at (as far as I know) a high school transcript.

Also, I just got back my SAT I results today (CR- 800, Writing- 680, Math- 600) and I was wondering if these are generally good enough or if I'd have to take it again

Any suggestions/ advice would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moloko)
    Hi everyone! I'm new here, and from what I've seen this seems to be a really good website, definetly very helpful

Anyway, now for my question
    I just finished my junior year in high school and have decided I'd like to go to university in the UK for history. Heres my problem: My school doesn't teach any APs and doesn't really teach the content of SAT II's either. I could probably study for some of these myself, but it just seems unfair that UK universities won't even look at (as far as I know) a high school transcript.

Also, I just got back my SAT I results today (CR- 800, Writing- 680, Math- 600) and I was wondering if these are generally good enough or if I'd have to take it again

Any suggestions/ advice would be much appreciated
    Why wouldn't UK universities look at your high school transcript? You don't necessarily have to have AP classes to apply. What they really want to see are strong grades in the field you want to pursue, and then some indication that you're very interested in that field (ie, internships, externships).

I personally applied after I did my bachelors and then applied for a masters. but, i was considering going straight after high school and it wasn't a problem with just my SATs and high school transcript.

p.s - these are the new SAT scores right? I'm familiar only with the old version scoring. 4 years ago, a "competitive SAT score" was 1250. I'm sure it's higher now, and also, on a completely different scoring method.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, these are new SAT scores. I think a 1250 combined score of verbal and math would be good now, but not particularly amazing. Now its out of 2400, so my score would be 2080.

It would be a relief if universities looked at transcripts, but the main reason I had doubts was because there is no where on the UCAS form to fill in that information. Also, on most univeristy websites they only ask for requirements in terms of AP grades, or occasionally in terms of SAT IIs.

Thanks for the info, I hope you are right about transcripts

ReputationRep:
    Or they ask you to do a foundation course, or to do one year at college in the US before arriving. I guess the reason they are so concerned with APs is that the US school system is 12 years, whilst the British is generally 13.

ReputationRep:
    the british one is 13 years?!

well....if you count kindergarden ours is too haha

ReputationRep:
    I applied to British unis this year from the US, and St. Andrew's was the only school that wanted to see a transcript. My school had APs and my offer at Durham was conditional on my AP scores, so I believe they really want them. If your school doesn't offer APs, you should probably write directly to the unis that you want to apply to and ask them about courses. I think it would probably be likely that they would want you to take some sort of foundation course/US college course before going.

ReputationRep:
    Your best bet would be at a Scottish university. The Scottish system is much more similar to the American university system than the English one, and is four years rather than three. Scottish unis, especially St Andrews and Edinburgh, also boast far higher proportions of Americans than any English uni, and as such they are much more flexible and accustomed to typical American standards for admissions (SAT, GPA). Both like to see SAT II's or AP's, but neither are absolutely necessary. This is in contrast to just about any good English uni - two of the London ones - LSE and UCL - don't even consider SAT scores; their criteria is solely AP. The others typically require a couple APs but also consider SATs. I personally don't believe that any good English uni (with your SATs, you deserve good) will give you an offer that doesn't involve APs.

I really would advise you to take the US and World History SAT IIs as soon as you can. I took them without any studying (took a US History class the semester prior, never took a World History course) and got a 710 and 760 respectively on them. I hadn't even thought of doing a history major when I took them and didn't even take them seriously. Judging from your SAT I scores and my assumption that you are already well-versed in the basics of history, you could probably score very well on them and this would both strengthen your Scottish application and possibly allow some good English unis (Durham, Bristol, York, Warwick, KCL) to consider a conditional offer.

APs are essential for getting into an English university, and they need to be relevant. You're going to have to do a lot of self-study if you want to go that route. Going to Scotland seems like a lot more sense for you, though. Your perfect CR (old Verbal) score will really help you, and you could definitely get into Edinburgh, and most likely at St Andrews too, and you wouldn't have to worry about self-studying three or more AP courses.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, very helpful advice, especially from NMiller5a

I think a Scottish university would be the best bet, because studying for an AP by yourself while doing other school work is just a little too scary for me :eek: I'm going to look at St Andrews and Edinburgh over the summer, so if I like them I'll definetly apply. 4 years actually might be beneficial, because I have a feeling that I am going to be behind most UK students in terms of their knowledge of history...

Another question, say theoretically I did 3 SAT IIs in World History, US History and Literature and did well in all of them, what kind of conditional offer do you think English universities would give me? Thanks

BTW NMiller5a, you got amazing scores on your SAT IIs!

ReputationRep:
    The trouble with high school transcripts is that they vary a lot from school to school, some schools give nearly everybody As, some schools being in the top 10% of you class is easy if you're not completely stupid, etc. Universities generally need some sort of externally-assessed indicator to indicate that you actually learned something in school. SAT 1 mainly tests reasoning so doesn't work well for this.

I did IB so I don't really know what offer you're likely to get, and of course it depends on the university.

ReputationRep:
    in the uS wat year do u take the SATs in??

ReputationRep:
    ummm SAT's aren't very important! as long as you have reasonable scores (600+'s on ur SAT IIs, and for ur SAT I at least a 1250 on the old SAT) and a decent gpa (3.33+) its okay, they don't emphasize perfect scores.
    not doing any AP's is a problem... b/c thats how they give offers.

ReputationRep:
    Your school doesn't teach English, US History, or Math? Those are all SAT II subjects right there (but there are only two history SAT IIs, yes?).

ReputationRep:
    Theres an evaluation service run by the british government that gives equivalence to the UK standard of grades.

The url is http://www.naric.org.uk/index.asp. Good luck.

If your a senior next year you should be ok as far as a timeline to complete all this. Its not impossible. Just plan on waking up extra early to make phone calls.

Additionally, you may have to have extra contact with the university your applying to. Having already graduated college 6 years ago, the universities i applied to didnt even ask for much. They just sent me unconditional offers and that was it.

-R

ReputationRep:
    i applied and was accepted to a uni in the UK for a MA program and although they did want my high school transcripts, they didn't even really look at my ACT scores nor seem to know what they were. i had no AP courses either. don't fret on it at all!

also, in regards to checking out scottish unis, the advantage to that is the new "fresh talent" initiative, which will enable you to live and workin scotland for 2 yrs after graduating without having to get a work permit for a specific job. google it

ReputationRep:
    and a decent gpa (3.33+) its okay,
    do english universities calculate the GPA independantly? because some schools here in the US weight them based on honors classes, my school doesn't weight them, so that would be unfair if someone else got the same grades but their GPA was weighted. mine, UNWWIGHTED is a 3.25, and weighted is 3.42, so it's a pretty big difference.

i applied and was accepted to a uni in the UK for a MA program and although they did want my high school transcripts, they didn't even really look at my ACT scores nor seem to know what they were. i had no AP courses either. don't fret on it at all!
    what uni did you get into and to what course?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.