Turn on thread page Beta

When only crazy revision will do! The fuctions of neutrophils and lymphocyte B cells watch

ReputationRep:
    This is a Neutrophil. Neutrophils 'eat' bacteria. First, plasma proteins called opsonins attach to the bacteria, then the neutrophil attaches to the bacteria and identifies it. The neautrophil then engulfs the bacteria, forming a vacuole. The neutrophil's lyosomes release enzymes and acid into the vacuole, which digest the bacteria. The contents are then dispersed into the cytoplasm.

The Story of the Neutrophil

B cells have Ig molecules on their surface, these recognise antigens. When they do, the B cell is activated, and splits myotically into many plasma and memory cells. The plasma cells synthesise specific antibodies which neutralise the toxins. The memory cells have igs just like the irigional cell, so if the antigens return, they can bring about quick production of antibodies (secondary response). This whole response is called the humoral immune response.

The Story of the Lymphocyte B Cell

ReputationRep:
    i do actually need to know this... so basically

neutrophils engulf bacteria

lymphocytes produce antibodies

what about eosinophil and monocytes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    i do actually need to know this... so basically

neutrophils engulf bacteria

lymphocytes produce antibodies

what about eosinophil and monocytes?
    monocytes form macrophages, eosinophils secrete major basic protein which kills parasitic worms

ReputationRep:
    are you revising this for unifying concepts? hopefully it wont come up in too much detail. practice papes show that very few synoptic questions are detailed from AS level. finges crossed anyway, thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    Links fixed, please check them out, they are very important to the revision:P These are based on stuff needed for the edexcel sylabus, not sure what everyone else needs to know..

ReputationRep:
    sorry, i thought it was ocr. my bad! we had to do immunity last year. good luck anyway! sorry

ReputationRep:
    LOL, nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Utlah)
    This is a Neutrophil. Neutrophils 'eat' bacteria. First, plasma proteins called opsonins attach to the bacteria, then the neutrophil attaches to the bacteria and identifies it. The neautrophil then engulfs the bacteria, forming a vacuole. The neutrophil's lyosomes release enzymes and acid into the vacuole, which digest the bacteria. The contents are then dispersed into the cytoplasm.

The Story of the Neutrophil

B cells have Ig molecules on their surface, these recognise antigens. When they do, the B cell is activated, and splits myotically into many plasma and memory cells. The plasma cells synthesise specific antibodies which neutralise the toxins. The memory cells have igs just like the irigional cell, so if the antigens return, they can bring about quick production of antibodies (secondary response). This whole response is called the humoral immune response.

The Story of the Lymphocyte B Cell
    Those are amazing, did you make them?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, made them myself:P Just see if you can forget them, I dare you!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.