The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Rebecca/Becca
I noticed the other day that recently I've been hearing words ending with -ism on a regular basis (eg sexism, racism....) and was wondering whay we feel the need to categorize everything. Is it something to do with the fact that political correctness is becoming increasingly important?

What makes you think it is increasing? I can't think of any new "ism"s...

But yes, of course, people always have and always will categorize. Theres nothing wrong with categorizing people when it comes down to obvious differences, unless it is being used in an offensive way.

The social fabric of the UK has been for a long time, and still is changing, so i guess political correctness will get more powerful through time.
A society of -isms is one riven by schisms. I hate ideologies that create sectarian mentalities.
Reply 3
I can think of a new -ism.

Bushisms!
Reply 4
this thread is full of ism-ism

a-haha
Reply 5
Its how the leftie pro multi-culters try and repress anyone who does not agree with them(by making up scare words) there are also a lot of pathetic "phobic" words.
Ah, you must mean Islamophobia. I think you'll find the BNP invented that, if not by name.
Reply 7
thebucketwoman
Ah, you must mean Islamophobia. I think you'll find the BNP invented that, if not by name.

That word still makes me laugh.
Reply 8
thebucketwoman

Does a phobia automatically mean you want to deport everything that phobia encompasses?

Will masses of spiders snakes and tight spaces be sent to northern africa??
burtch
Does a phobia automatically mean you want to deport everything that phobia encompasses?

Will masses of spiders snakes and tight spaces be sent to northern africa??

Who mentioned deportation?

What's your point?
Reply 10
thebucketwoman
Who mentioned deportation?

What's your point?

:rolleyes:

never mind
burtch
:rolleyes:

never mind

I think you were suggesting that I have said the BNP would deport all Muslims. Which I haven't.
Reply 12
is sarcasm a forbidden fruit nowadays :biggrin:
burtch
is sarcasm a forbidden fruit nowadays :biggrin:

sorry, sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet, even with emoticons!
Reply 14
I detected it quite easily in the post, but I have a sarcasm radar which is permamently on!
Reply 15
The point about 'scarewords' is probably better made here than the -isms thing. Racists don't like being called Racists, for example, simply because it carries negative connotations. Just like a feminist is technically a sexist in the same way that an SNP-member is a Nationalist...
Reply 16
thebucketwoman
Ah, you must mean Islamophobia. .
I think they now call it "anti-Islamicism".
LibertineNorth
The point about 'scarewords' is probably better made here than the -isms thing. Racists don't like being called Racists, for example, simply because it carries negative connotations. Just like a feminist is technically a sexist in the same way that an SNP-member is a Nationalist...

Feminism isn't sexism, it would only be so if it promoted women as being better than men, whereas on thee whole they talk about equality.

Well, I'm not sure about radical feminists... anyone have greater knowledge than me on that?(don't all run up at once)
Reply 18
Douglas
I think they now call it "anti-Islamicism".

Big difference: not all "anti-...s" are phobic. A phobia is an irrational fear and hatred. I think the judaic religions have very bad effects on their believers and- given some of the instructions that believers are given as to their behaviour- unbelievers too. My reasons are- I hope- entirely reasonable and stop well short of hatred.
Reply 19
ayaan
Feminism isn't sexism, it would only be so if it promoted women as being better than men, whereas on thee whole they talk about equality.

Well, I'm not sure about radical feminists... anyone have greater knowledge than me on that?(don't all run up at once)

Like many organisations that aspire to equality some people overshot the mark.

Any theory about the world is an -ism. It is the unrecognised -isms that peoiple accept without thought or examination that are more dangerous.

Latest

Trending

Trending