Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok ppl

Think I got the Action potential bit sorted....

Ok so a resting potential gives the neurone the potential to transmit a nerve impulse...

A resting potential is produced when the AT of Na ions out the nerve fibre..so when this happens the outside of the membrane is more +ve charged so this has polarised.....

then....as Na ions are being pumped out K ions are being pumped in.....Depolarisation occurs when the Na ion channels open up suddenly when there is a higher conc of them outside....so they come bk in by facilitated diffusion....this movement of Na ions bk in give a more +ve than outside causing depolarisation......this change i.e from polarised to delpolarised is called the ACTION POTENTIAL????

suggestion is it correct??? anything to add on???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bond007)
    Ok ppl

Think I got the Action potential bit sorted....

Ok so a resting potential gives the neurone the potential to transmit a nerve impulse...

A resting potential is produced when the AT of Na ions out the nerve fibre..so when this happens the outside of the membrane is more +ve charged so this has polarised.....

then....as Na ions are being pumped out K ions are being pumped in.....Depolarisation occurs when the Na ion channels open up suddenly when there is a higher conc of them outside....so they come bk in by facilitated diffusion....this movement of Na ions bk in give a more +ve than outside causing depolarisation......this change i.e from polarised to delpolarised is called the ACTION POTENTIAL????

suggestion is it correct??? anything to add on???
    Yes that is correct.

Then repolarisation and hyperpolarisation periods occur to get the whole thing back to a normal resting potential of -70mV or so.

ReputationRep:
    Yep you're exactly right
    If you want to check a summary then look at
    http://www.s-cool.co.uk/topic_princi...s=&ebl=&elc=13

ReputationRep:
    Cheerz....so when Na is being pumped out it get to +40mv and then when refactory period occurs it brings it to -70mv......

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.