The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'm doing it :| I like it to a certain extent then they start talking about grammar :p:
I'm worried about Speaking too, especially since last year my teacher more or less made us cheat and told us what we'd be asked, and this year.... :frown:
Yea I'm sort of worried about the speaking. We get the French assistant once a week though which helps.

And, whilst it's actually a lot harder than Higher, we're the same in that, because we haven't really done much work, it doesn't feel like it.
Reply 3
it's really difficult!!!! :frown:

i found higher really easy but AH is definitely not like this. not really considered speaking yet, to be honest. it's all quite tricky.
namedeprived
Yea I'm sort of worried about the speaking. We get the French assistant once a week though which helps.

And, whilst it's actually a lot harder than Higher, we're the same in that, because we haven't really done much work, it doesn't feel like it.

It's annoying actually. I at least feel as though I'm making some kind of progress in AH English, but not in French. I don't like who teaches it at our school though, he's a batty old man, and our school doesn't about Advanced Highers in anything other than sciences, which is irritating as well. My school has 2 AH Biology classes with more than 15 in each, and our French class is struggling to reach 6, our minimum.
TimmyVermicelli
It's annoying actually. I at least feel as though I'm making some kind of progress in AH English, but not in French. I don't like who teaches it at our school though, he's a batty old man, and our school doesn't about Advanced Highers in anything other than sciences, which is irritating as well. My school has 2 AH Biology classes with more than 15 in each, and our French class is struggling to reach 6, our minimum.

For AH classes with less than 10 people in it our school only designates four teaching periods as opposed to the usual six. French has nine, so we only get four, Chemistry has around 15 to 16, and Maths, luckily has exactly 10. Fortunatley our teacher is quite nice, but usually doesn't bother to do much teaching.

I quite enjoy the subject, but feel like we're left to our own devices far too much. I was aware that that was going to sort of be the case, but not to this extent.
Reply 6
I feel like I've come on quite a bit grammar-wise since Higher, but we've hardly done any listening and haven't written an essay since starting the AH. We did last year's prelim under exam conditions and I somehow managed to get 40/50 so was quite chuffed.
The teacher's really good though, I must admit I'm really enjoying the course.
Crapping it about the Speaking though :p:

AH Spanish is atrocious, I feel like I've not learned a thing.
Reply 7
i'm doing AH French this year and it is soooo hard/boring. it's soo different from H and the teacher doesn't give you half as much help as last year. absolutely crapping it for the speaking assessment as my teacher has chosen the worst play in history to study - its called huis clos ( no exit ) and its set in hell...most boring thing on the planet and soo confusing to understand!
KrazyKate
i'm doing AH French this year and it is soooo hard/boring. it's soo different from H and the teacher doesn't give you half as much help as last year. absolutely crapping it for the speaking assessment as my teacher has chosen the worst play in history to study - its called huis clos ( no exit ) and its set in hell...most boring thing on the planet and soo confusing to understand!

I'm doing Huis Clos as well, but I don't find it as bad :smile: our teacher said it was the best of a bad bunch on the syllabus.
Reply 9
TimmyVermicelli
I'm doing Huis Clos as well, but I don't find it as bad :smile: our teacher said it was the best of a bad bunch on the syllabus.

yeah, how you finding it? i'm nearly ready to submit my folio now, cant wait to get it away! silly thing! :p:
I'm doing AH Spanish this year and we have to do our folio essay for next week. Have no idea what to do. We've been reading "The Motorcycle Diaries" by Che Guevara and all the teacher said was it's to be a maximum of 750 words and we can choose the question.

I'm confused about the format, is it a critical essay??? etc.

I'd really appreciate some help.
Reply 11
I did Advanced French last year and came out with an A, so I could try to help if anyone has any questions? :smile:

As far as the orals go, they aren't too bad. You choose your topic areas and basically brainstorm all the questions you think you'll be asked. So, for example, if you choose Europe, expect them to ask you questions about the Euro, European integration, immigration, advantages and disadvantages of the EU etc. There were a lot of advantages/disadvantage questions, IIRC. Here's a list of some of the questions I thought I might be asked for immigration, which I put down as a separate topic:

Spoiler

There are a lot of questions you can prepare for, like questions about the future, about French, whether you've been to France and what you think of it, if you'd ever move abroad, if you speak/want to learn other languages, subjects you study.... Remember, the more you ramble, the less questions they ask which you haven't prepared :wink: I actually enjoyed all the speaking stuff, but I'm weird that way. :biggrin:

StellaBella05
I'm confused about the format, is it a critical essay??? etc.

I'd really appreciate some help.

Yeah, it's basically a critical essay. You set your own question - for example, "how does (author) use characterisation to enhance (theme) in (name of book)." Have you asked your teacher if they have examples from previous years which you could have a look at? Or I could PM you one of my French ones from last year, if you want. (It's all in English, except the quotes.)
Thanks for your reply. So all the quotes are to be in Spanish then??? Do you have to explain what the quotes means in English, or just, as with English, in the context of the question.

I'm doing it now, have no idea if I'm doing it right but better to hand something in than nothing at all.

Any idea when the folio is due in??

Latest

Trending

Trending