Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piggy)
    Lol that's exactly why I don't love physics - it requires too much logic which I don't have! And easy?! I get so confused when it comes to electric circuits and crap and also interference and reasonance i dont understand one bit! Any help would be vraiment appreciated.
    Not sure how much i can help cos i do double award and a different syllabus...but generally i get circuits- what don't u understand? Can't help with interference and reasonance cos not on our syllabus..

ReputationRep:
    Argh stupid school. If only we didn't do OCR. With circuits it's just all the different values of voltage and current at different parts of the circuit depending on whether its series or parallel, and all the diode and thermistor stuff...eek!

ReputationRep:
    The thing with Phusics, was that it wasn't exactly taught as well as it could have been, although it was taught better than Biology where we had appalling teaching.

My Physics teahcre also gave me a crap mark on my coursework. He gave me 14/30, when out of all coursework I actually did for my GCSEs, that was the coursework i put the most effort into. I helped someone get full marks on it by wasting time in my summer holidays by writing out all my results for this person as they were not there at the time. The teacher claimed I had lost the plot, but i think that was just an excuse as he has never liked me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xlouisedoll)
    Same for me - that's why I'm very glad my school makes us do the Triple Science award!
    only the top sets get to do the triple award at my school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niaya)
    only the top sets get to do the triple award at my school
    Not even the top sets at my school do it, and it's a grammar school. Well actually i think the top set in yr 10 does it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piggy)
    Argh stupid school. If only we didn't do OCR. With circuits it's just all the different values of voltage and current at different parts of the circuit depending on whether its series or parallel, and all the diode and thermistor stuff...eek!
    Basically in a series circuit the current is the same across each component but the voltage is divided up in a ratio depending on the resisistance of each component...in parallel the voltage is the same across each component and the sum of the currents across the components is equal to the total current (less across components with more resistance).....thermistors have more restance in the cold than in the heat so the graph looks like a hyperbola (think that's the right word!) Diodes only allow current to flow in one direction when the voltage is high enough so the graph goes along the x axis until a certain point (voltage) when it shoots up as a straight line but NOT thru origin!The diode has too much resistance in other direction so no current flows. not sure if that's what u were after but hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilko_777)
    Not even the top sets at my school do it, and it's a grammar school. Well actually i think the top set in yr 10 does it.
    top set sciences do triple science
    and top set maths do statistics in year 10 abd naths in year 11

they were going to let top set english take media studies in year 10 but the media teachers left grr

oh im at a state school

ReputationRep:
    So am I, but they don't do anything that extreme

ReputationRep:
    everyone in my school does triple science

ReputationRep:
    physics i think is the second easiest sience well possibly the hardest lol nvm,anyhows it isnt that hard...i just cannot do electricity i was taught some of it this year by a teacher who doesnt even know how to put a circuit together....now i have to rely on cramming it through today with a textbook....COMON 2MO!END IS NEAR!

rgrds

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this is my first post
    Sorry in advance if I repeat what others have put forward, I have skipped reading many posts. Anyway, I was talking with some of my mates and one of them said that the double award grade is determined via this method: Chemistry + Biology exam grades added together and then a grade is scaled from that - This seems logical as there are overlaps between Chemistry and Biology. And, apparently the Physics grade is isolated (i.e. It is determined by performance in the Physics paper only). If this is the case I am well chuffed as I got A* in the coursework, and am hoping for a B in the Physics exam . Weirdly enough though, Biology, which is my strongest and the science which I hope to persue further, seemed to go quite badly, therefore I am hoping my Chemistry grade will bump that up to A/B and I will get A/B for the Physics... If this method of deterniming the grade is wrong, then I guess its all grades added, plus coursework and that gives the grade, and you get two of them... In that case I'll be looking at a B/C

ReputationRep:
    I think the grade is decided by averaging all 3 grades, not just chemistry and biology and then physics separately.....cos it's impossible to get two different grades for double award i.e either A*A* AA BB etc. I hope so anyway cos i need physics to bring up biology...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Corleone)
    Hi, this is my first post
    Sorry in advance if I repeat what others have put forward, I have skipped reading many posts. Anyway, I was talking with some of my mates and one of them said that the double award grade is determined via this method: Chemistry + Biology exam grades added together and then a grade is scaled from that - This seems logical as there are overlaps between Chemistry and Biology. And, apparently the Physics grade is isolated (i.e. It is determined by performance in the Physics paper only). If this is the case I am well chuffed as I got A* in the coursework, and am hoping for a B in the Physics exam . Weirdly enough though, Biology, which is my strongest and the science which I hope to persue further, seemed to go quite badly, therefore I am hoping my Chemistry grade will bump that up to A/B and I will get A/B for the Physics... If this method of deterniming the grade is wrong, then I guess its all grades added, plus coursework and that gives the grade, and you get two of them... In that case I'll be looking at a B/C
    That's not how it works lol. All three science marks + coursework (each paper is out of 100) are added together to get a total out of 360. The grade boundaries are then set from there. So for instance if 257/360 is an A8, then you get A*A* for double award science. I think that's correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gothic pixie)
    I think the grade is decided by averaging all 3 grades, not just chemistry and biology and then physics separately.....cos it's impossible to get two different grades for double award i.e either A*A* AA BB etc. I hope so anyway cos i need physics to bring up biology...
    Good, so I'm not the only one who didn't do that well on Biology... Grr it was the last few questions which I found hard, like themicrobial respiration and purification via micro-organisms... Oh well, shall not drown in my regreat and instead do extra well on this physics paper. thanks for replying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeerHS)
    That's not how it works lol. All three science marks + coursework (each paper is out of 100) are added together to get a total out of 360. The grade boundaries are then set from there. So for instance if 257/360 is an A8, then you get A*A* for double award science. I think that's correct.
    Well my examining body is AQA for Double Science, and I'm pretty sure that the paper maximums are 90... Thanks anyway for correcting me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it's 90 marks on each paper for edexcel aswell.

ReputationRep:
    **** I cant concentrate on revision, because I am a big fan of tennis and watching Wimbledon tourtament.what an idiot me!!!lol

ReputationRep:
    on ocr each papers is out of 100...

ReputationRep:
    veerhs did you know that the actual AQA Co-ordinated science boundaries for A* were 257/360!!

did you just pick the figure 257 out of thin air, if so you're gifted!

Regards
    Tom Lowes

ReputationRep:
    I hate physics i think its def gonna bring me down because a lot of people have been saying that they found Chem and Bio easy and recon that Physics is gonna be the trciky one. I personally think the hardest bit about physics is all the formulas!!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.