Turn on thread page Beta

Don't rub your results in our faces please ? when they come out watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amlea)
    I do agree with what you say. Some people just rub it in tohers faces just for a mere ego boost.

Just chill and relax. You will be OK when results come out. GCSE's aren't half as important as A levels, believe me you will realise that when you start thinking of applying to uni!
    Actually without decent GCSE grades you can't get into a decent Uni and that's nearly always the case. Sorry to sound stubborn here. GCSEs are just as important as A-Levels for many reasons, to name a few:

1) If you work hard at GCSEs, you will get into a work flow and will find it easier to adopt a similar discipline at A-Level where there needs to be self-discipline.

2) GCSEs teach you the fundamentals and necessities which are required for success in A-Level.

3) GCSEs compliment A-Levels and give Universities a greater understanding of a candidates cognitive ability. I've known people with AAAA at A2, who have been rejected because they did not have good enough GCSE grades. Universities are highly competitive nowadays so it is important to have the edge with proficient GCSEs.

There are many more reasons why GCSEs are not "half as important as A-Levels" but I can't be bothered to go into them.

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs compliment A-Levels and give Universities a greater understanding of a candidates cognitive ability. I've known people with AAAA at A2, who have been rejected because they did not have good enough GCSE grades. Universities are highly competitive nowadays so it is important to have the edge with proficient GCSEs.
    Yeah, but I've heard of more people, a lot more people, who have been accepted with AAA, and have crap grades at GCSE, than people who have been accepted with AAA, and 10 A*s at GCSE. In fact, the majority of people whom I know who go to Oxbridge, have got 'decent' GCSE grades, not excellent. So they're not everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Yeah, but I've heard of more people, a lot more people, who have been accepted with AAA, and have crap grades at GCSE, than people who have been accepted with AAA, and 10 A*s at GCSE. In fact, the majority of people whom I know who go to Oxbridge, have got 'decent' GCSE grades, not excellent. So they're not everything.
    Yeah - I guess the deciding factors are the University and the degree you want to take... Actually, some Universities even take personal statements and work experience into very close consideration, so it's a variety of things which Universities are after.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - I guess the deciding factors are the University and the degree you want to take... Actually, some Universities even take personal statements and work experience into very close consideration, so it's a variety of things which Universities are after.
    Yeah I agree entirely with that. The Oxford tutors I've spoken to all say that THE most important thing is INTERVIEW. Seriously, above all else - even results. But obviously, you have to get to the interview stage! And it is in this respect, that personal statement is also imperative. At least that's what I've been led to believe. So don't mess up on your PS, it really could be a deciding factor. And yep, work experience is also highly sought after, but it has to have a very close relationship with your degree subject, so it shows your enthusiasm and passion for the subject in question. I dunno...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree entirely with that. The Oxford tutors I've spoken to all say that THE most important thing is INTERVIEW. Seriously, above all else - even results. But obviously, you have to get to the interview stage! And it is in this respect, that personal statement is also imperative. At least that's what I've been led to believe. So don't mess up on your PS, it really could be a deciding factor. And yep, work experience is also highly sought after, but it has to have a very close relationship with your degree subject, so it shows your enthusiasm and passion for the subject in question. I dunno...
    I was roaming www.ox.ac.uk earlier and was browsing their Biochemistry section; I couldn't find any GCSE requirements apart from (the standard University requirements) and they stated there was no need for any written test for admission. So on that I guess they must highly regard WE/PS/Interview.

ReputationRep:
    zhivago, are you considering Oxford or something?

ReputationRep:
    zhivago, are you considering Oxford or something?
    I dunno, I used to be considering it. My Head of Year ships me off to Oxford lectures and meetings and what not, and a few Cambridge ones (which I missed out on because I was doing stupid Duke of Edinburgh!!). And my predictions used to insinuate that I could be a possible student there. And my father went to Cambridge. But after the exams, my gut feeling is that I didn't do nearly as well as I should/could, so the subject is closed at the moment. My family keep asking me still if I want to go, and I'm squirming inside because I'm thinking 'shutup...shutup', incase I've got crap results! But I think it looks very nice, yes, and the standard of education is amazing. I'd want to study either English or Law, which are both exceedingly competitive subjects, (those two and Medicine). I know all this might come as a shock to you because I flew off the handle earlier, and went a bit pyscho, so I may have given the impression that I'm as thick as two planks....:p: But I'm not really that thick, I just haven't done as well as I'd have hoped...what about yourself?

Thanks for the link anyway. All it says in the prospectus is that for some degrees you should have C or above in certain subjects at GCSE level. Seriously, it just mentions C or above! Which is good, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, I used to be considering it. My Head of Year ships me off to Oxford lectures and meetings and what not, and a few Cambridge ones (which I missed out on because I was doing stupid Duke of Edinburgh!!). And my predictions used to insinuate that I could be a possible student there. And my father went to Cambridge. But after the exams, my gut feeling is that I didn't do nearly as well as I should/could, so the subject is closed at the moment. My family keep asking me still if I want to go, and I'm squirming inside because I'm thinking 'shutup...shutup', incase I've got crap results! But I think it looks very nice, yes, and the standard of education is amazing. I'd want to study either English or Law, which are both exceedingly competitive subjects, (those two and Medicine). I know all this might come as a shock to you because I flew off the handle earlier, and went a bit pyscho, so I may have given the impression that I'm as thick as two planks....:p: But I'm not really that thick, I just haven't done as well as I'd have hoped...what about yourself?
    I think you've made a good decision to study English, if you go to Uni; I think you've got great natural ability in it (lol) !
    If you're feeling the added pressure from family concerning oxbridge, visit this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t128034.html (there are loads of people in the same position as you, share some techniques with dealing with the stress etc.)
    I don't think you're dumb (even though I might've said it, thats just spare of the moment, argument type talk though innit I suppose).
    Hmm, how well do I think I've done? Um... Not great if the truth be told; I reckon I cocked up the English papers which is a shame, but I never did enjoy English much anyway, I enjoy writing novels but I can't be doing with the ridiculous exam questions you get, i.e. "Describe a room" or "Argue that students should be taught how to drive whilst at school"... It's like, do me a favour examiners!! I also think I done badly on my Maths non calc paper (although I reckon I killed the Calc paper and got an A in coursework)... Don't think there's much chance of me getting into oxbridge, but I hope that GCSEs aren't my limiting factor when it comes to getting offers for decent Unis.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy writing novels
    Really? What have you written along those lines? I've only written one; it's quite meaty 87,000 words, I'd like to think it's quite funny, but a bit flimsy! I was hoping to write a more poignant one this summer, and really make the effort with it. But as yet, I've only done research, haven't actually started. I will next week. (If I get bored of lazing around and re-reading the Harry Potter series).

Thanks again for the link, I'll go there now. I agree about cocking up the English papers. Ordinarily, they should have been my best, but I didn't think I did all that well either. Maths is probably my worst subject; I have a bit of a hatred for it, but only because I disliked my teacher! I used to be quite good at it, but during Secondary school my ability for it went downhill considerably. I presume by "killed it" you mean you did well in it? (Not familiar with that term!). I'm hoping and praying on my coursework for Maths (I got 100%), but I didn't do that well in the exams, well I did well for me, but overall, that's not well! They were easier than last year also, so the grade boundaries will rise probably. What exam board did you do? I'm worried a lot of my workings won't be marked, because they won't get scanned.

ReputationRep:
    Really? What have you written along those lines? I've only written one; it's quite meaty 87,000 words, I'd like to think it's quite funny, but a bit flimsy! I was hoping to write a more poignant one this summer, and really make the effort with it. But as yet, I've only done research, haven't actually started. I will next week. (If I get bored of lazing around and re-reading the Harry Potter series).
    Well, up until this point, I've not really written anything worth mentioning; a few short stories with macabre-ridden endings. Much like you, I am starting a novel fairly soon; mainly because I am bored, and also to keep my thinking brain active, so that when I go to college I'm not too zombified. :p: I am hoping to create a dectective ( no luck with any names as of yet ) and maybe even make a series upon them. The purpose is not to get it published, but really just because it's something I've looked upon quite tastefully for a while now, and think it would be a challange for myself, to see if I can produce a 'decent' story.

Thanks again for the link, I'll go there now. I agree about cocking up the English papers. Ordinarily, they should have been my best, but I didn't think I did all that well either. Maths is probably my worst subject; I have a bit of a hatred for it, but only because I disliked my teacher! I used to be quite good at it, but during Secondary school my ability for it went downhill considerably. I presume by "killed it" you mean you did well in it? (Not familiar with that term!). I'm hoping and praying on my coursework for Maths (I got 100%), but I didn't do that well in the exams, well I did well for me, but overall, that's not well! They were easier than last year also, so the grade boundaries will rise probably. What exam board did you do? I'm worried a lot of my workings won't be marked, because they won't get scanned.
    Okay, hope the link is useful! Sorry for the colloquial language, I'm not usually one to use such 'profanities' (lol joking - I'd never use that word, I'm not that arrogant!) but it does come and go on me, what with the area I'm from (quite a few 'chav-like' people are always using ridiculous slang terms). Yeah, "Killed it" means done well on it. I hope you do well in your maths, try not consider the possibilities too much, although sometimes over-thinking something can tire your mind so much that you start to show a big lack of interest! Mine was Edexcel, and I think I wrote some workings outside of the margain - not really bothered though, what's done is done. I wonder what will happen though, I mean, if they do scan the papers and I the scanner has missed some of my workings, yet I arrive at a correct answer, surely they must think, "Well most of his working is correct up until this point, and then he does arrive at the correct answer, so shall we give him BOD and think he got all the workings correct?". Dunno, just don't worry that's my advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    but I hope that GCSEs aren't my limiting factor when it comes to getting offers for decent Unis.
    Nah, they shouldn't be! I got 6 offers, including ones from Bath, Cardiff and Royal Holloway and my GCSE's were rubbish. Actually, even my AS's were rubbish, and Bath gave me an offer of BBB instead of the typical AAB for my course! So I imagine if you manage to get a really good teacher reference, A2 predictions and write a wicked PS, you'll be just fine

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for that amie.

Shamen, I too was on EdExcel. I guess you're right about the scanning thing. We'll just have to wait and see...good luck with your detective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    Nah, they shouldn't be! I got 6 offers, including ones from Bath, Cardiff and Royal Holloway and my GCSE's were rubbish. Actually, even my AS's were rubbish, and Bath gave me an offer of BBB instead of the typical AAB for my course! So I imagine if you manage to get a really good teacher reference, A2 predictions and write a wicked PS, you'll be just fine
    You rock! Thanks alot, that's put my mind at ease.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.