Turn on thread page Beta

Don't rub your results in our faces please ? when they come out watch

ReputationRep:
    i'm much calmer now since my last post....

okay, people who do get the grades.....WELL DONE....if your naturally clever....WELL DONE.....if you dont revise.....YOUR FAULT......if you do revise and still get bad....REVISE HARDER...YOU must have a wrong method of revising or something.....SOMEONE WHO REVISES as much as you and still doesn't get the grades...WELL THAT MEANS THAT your probably revising the wrong way or perhaps need extra help..............

now, telling people not to show off about their grade...i think, personally is selfish. When i mean showing off...i dont mean....running into the street....and shouting:

"yey!!!!! i got A********** ....nanananananaaaaa...you are all thick.....i'm better you..."

that is wrong OBVIOUSLY...........are you telling us that if SOME people get the grades.....then they should keep quiet??? they should have the opportunity to discuss their grades.
    Those people should be proud of themselves because they deserved to get those grades..if they are naturally clever then they still deserve it...why????? because obviously those people did not just land on earth and be granted with that extra power of being clever than other people........they probably just listen in class...and remember everything they heard. Perhaps they dont do as much revision as you or other people (which is a good thing, dont get me wrong) but they still remember the work...they listen "extra" hard in lessons.

Going around and telling everyone your whole story again is a little selfish. I mean, why are you telling us? Are you trying to justify the reason why you "think" you got the bad grade? dont try to make us feel sorry for you...you might have had a hard life..and i respect that....but dont make us feel guilty for that. Its almost like your trying to say that if you had this hard life then we dont deserve to get the grades. Again that is being selfish.

I could have easily got a D...C......B....A...or an A* for all i know. I want to get the grades that i deserve...! yeah, obviously i will feel dissapointed if i dont achieve that grade but everything happens for a reason and this might teach me a lesson for the next big exams.

:tsr:

peace all......The past is in the past. The best we can do is look to the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Corleone)
    Look: GCSEs are not really a measure of intelligence/academic ability/academic potential... GCSEs are a measure of how hard a candidate works... This is true for the majority of candidates, there are some however who are academically challanged and "less able." So I agree with the dude who started this thread - It annoys me too when people say "I got A*s" and basically try and intimidate you and insinuate through that, that they are cleverer than you... *******s (excuse my french) - I am smart, but I didn't put the work in these past two years and I'm probably going to walk out of school with B's and C's as opposed to A*'s and A's which is what I'd get if I had bloody well got my arse into gear... Anyway just to say, a candidate who achieves an A* is not necessarily more able than a candidate who achieves a C or a D, it just means that the candidate has bothered to put in more work. This is true as we are taught everything we need to know and let's be honest, if the truth be told the content of most syllabuses is not hard, it just takes a candidate to be able to remember methods and information to gain a high grade... Lecture over,
    i dont agree with that, because some people may have worked to the best of their ability, and achieved a C, this doesn't mean that they havn't worked hard, some people probably did entirely the opposite, if people didn't work over the years then they deserve to get a lower grade. all i'm really trying to say is that, stereotyping people who got Bs and Cs as non-workers is wrong, because they could have been working their a***s off, and deserve the best they could have got. also they may have been restricted to a foundation paper because of a set they were in - this happened to a mate of mine in maths, but her parents put up a massive fight (digressing here - sorry!) so again its NOT THEIR FAULT!!!!!!
    my rants over now - carry on a usual!!!

ReputationRep:
    well maybe your just not very good at academic subjects, dont worry about it so much, concentrate on something you are good at (like drama) and stick with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trish xx)
    i dont agree with that, because some people may have worked to the best of their ability, and achieved a C, this doesn't mean that they havn't worked hard, some people probably did entirely the opposite, if people didn't work over the years then they deserve to get a lower grade. all i'm really trying to say is that, stereotyping people who got Bs and Cs as non-workers is wrong, because they could have been working their a***s off, and deserve the best they could have got. also they may have been restricted to a foundation paper because of a set they were in - this happened to a mate of mine in maths, but her parents put up a massive fight (digressing here - sorry!) so again its NOT THEIR FAULT!!!!!!
    my rants over now - carry on a usual!!!
    I agree, but not meaning to be mean or anything, its a very small percentage of people who work to the best of their ability and gain a C... I think the majority of people can fairly comfortablly understand the syllabus, it just takes a fair bit of work to apply that in coursework and exams So in general, GCSEs are indicative of a candidates work tendencies, in the sense of how hard or little they work.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ That arouses the question: Why were they in a foundation tier set in the first place? So many variables come into it, but really and truely, if what I say is correct, and I believe it to be mostly correct, then an averagely intelligent student who works hard should not be put into a foundation tier set.

ReputationRep:
    I got an E and a C in my English papers last year.

And im set 1.

Exams dont mean ****... purely how you feel on the day, whether you get the right questons, whether you interprate them correctly, whether you DO remember that FINE detail Mr Phillips told you in year 7 or not.

They're a load of poo otherwise. I with things were actually based on knowledge rather than... i don't know what. But exams arent fair at all. I swear, if everybody took their i dunno, german reading on a cold rainy friday rather than a hot sunny monday... the whole grade boundaries would be different.

see what im saying? anyway, at the end of the day... nobody feel bad. gcse's are seriously nothing if you're carrying on with a levels. and if you dont do a levels, all you need to do is pass for a gcse. and most people do better than they think

as long as you know in your heart you have tried your best, you are ok.

i hope i havent gotten myself a reputation for bein a ***** in the little time ive been here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Corleone)
    ^^ That arouses the question: Why were they in a foundation tier set in the first place? So many variables come into it, but really and truely, if what I say is correct, and I believe it to be mostly correct, then an averagely intelligent student who works hard should not be put into a foundation tier set.
    the school didnt have enough room in the higher sets, so they ended up doin a lottery to see who got into the top set if they were hovering between As and Bs etc

ReputationRep:
    trust me Sona....GCSE's and A levels are probably the hardest exams we will ever have.

You might not be aware how GCSE are important but trust me once you go to university, get a job and so on, people would want to see wot GCSE's you've got. GCSE's are based on knowledge...and i dont really see the reason why they are a 'load of poo'

The reason why some people are not getting good grades is because they dont see how important and serious GCSE's actually are. They just think its another exam....and even if they get D's and E's its okay, as long as a college accepts you. Oh, and then they could get more D's and E's and U's but no worries unless a university accepts them. A very bad university as a matter of fact...... Oh and then they could get an awful, awful degree and its okay as long as you get a job....at the end of the day AS A RESULT they end up being dustbinmen or working in mcdonals for the rest of their lives...oh i guess thats okay as long as they get money....3 pound a week whereas if they put that EXTRA effort they would be earning a 1000 a week with an excellent reputation.

Think about that!

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milli)
    trust me Sona....GCSE's and A levels are probably the hardest exams we will ever have.

You might not be aware how GCSE are important but trust me once you go to university, get a job and so on, people would want to see wot GCSE's you've got. GCSE's are based on knowledge...and i dont really see the reason why they are a 'load of poo'

The reason why some people are not getting good grades is because they dont see how important and serious GCSE's actually are. They just think its another exam....and even if they get D's and E's its okay, as long as a college accepts you. Oh, and then they could get more D's and E's and U's but no worries unless a university accepts them. A very bad university as a matter of fact...... Oh and then they could get an awful, awful degree and its okay as long as you get a job....at the end of the day AS A RESULT they end up being dustbinmen or working in mcdonals for the rest of their lives...oh i guess thats okay as long as they get money....3 pound a week whereas if they put that EXTRA effort they would be earning a 1000 a week with an excellent reputation.

Think about that!

:cool:

damn right...what she said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by axle05)

i swear if i see anyone in essex on the news open it live and **** us off i'll find em hunt them down and kick the crap out of them errrrr
    know exactly how ya feel there!! we gotta stick together!

regardfing your first message, i don't think its fair when people say gcse's are getting easier... theyare perhaps the hardest period of time in our lives, they are the foundation to which we learn how to cope with future exams. plus i think grades aren't really indicative of an individual's success... a person may work damn hard and only get a D. To this person, this is a success, compared to the people who do work as hard as others, but are lucky enough to get higher grades.

anyway, enough of my babble, enjoy tsr and chill!

ReputationRep:
    I still think that that's slightly over exaggerated. But yeah i see what your point is.

And anyone who does at least try should get themselves by in life. Anyone who tries; good people; people who set standards and strive to achieve goals.

But there ARE more important things than a bad GCSE...
    there really are...
    e.g. youre bad at maths, get a bad maths grade. youre good at english. get a bad english grade too... however you take english a level and because you ARE a hard worker, you improve where you went wrong and get an A at english a level. its the a level they look at, not the gcse.

ReputationRep:
    p.s. it was my maths teacher who told me at the end of the day, the gcses are just letter grades... the actual work you do to achieve them, well the majority of info you dont use in life

ReputationRep:
    lol..i'm not saying if someone is good at english should STOP doing english just because they got bad for their GCSE's. What i am saying is that we should put that EXTRA effort ALL THE TIME so we get the grades ALL THE TIME. Instead of saying "A levels is much more important than GCSE's" we should put the same effort on them both.

Obviously if someone is a hard worker they would improve but going around and telling everyone that GCSE's are 'poo' is not right. How do you know? i mean how old are you? have you lived up to that age to actually know whether they are important? neither have i, but i know soooo many people who never took their GCSE's too seriously and as a result got bad. They then went onto A levels and did better. They learned from their mistakes. They now regret they never learned it earlier because everytime they go for a job, the manager looks at his records and see's F'S AND e's in GCSE and then A's and B's in A levels. Another person asks for the same job...so there's competition. This person got B's and C's for his GCSE...and B's for his A levels. Who would they consider. The second person because he has a better GCSE.

Its all about being the best and if you have to work hard and cut back on some tv and music for 2 months, just to get that advantage for the future, well then i THINK ITS WORTH IT.

peace all... :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milli)
    lol..i'm not saying if someone is good at english should STOP doing english just because they got bad for their GCSE's. What i am saying is that we should put that EXTRA effort ALL THE TIME so we get the grades ALL THE TIME. Instead of saying "A levels is much more important than GCSE's" we should put the same effort on them both.

Obviously if someone is a hard worker they would improve but going around and telling everyone that GCSE's are 'poo' is not right. How do you know? i mean how old are you? have you lived up to that age to actually know whether they are important? neither have i, but i know soooo many people who never took their GCSE's too seriously and as a result got bad. They then went onto A levels and did better. They learned from their mistakes. They now regret they never learned it earlier because everytime they go for a job, the manager looks at his records and see's F'S AND e's in GCSE and then A's and B's in A levels. Another person asks for the same job...so there's competition. This person got B's and C's for his GCSE...and B's for his A levels. Who would they consider. The second person because he has a better GCSE.

Its all about being the best and if you have to work hard and cut back on some tv and music for 2 months, just to get that advantage for the future, well then i THINK ITS WORTH IT.
    :ditto: good point

ReputationRep:
    I've already expressed my viewpoint on this issue, but to be concise, no-one need ought to bother about any results but their own. Really. I mean, be happy for your friends if they do well, console them if they don't do as well as they'd like. But it's ****ing harsh to limit people who get As and A*s on their happiness at achieving such grades, most of the time it's down to hard work, and even if it's down to natural intelligence, they can ****ing celebrate like everybody else. Just as people who are chuffed with Cs and Bs can celebrate. Really, jealousy is a terrible thing. People who get distressed about other people's grades need to pull themselves together, get over it if other people get better than you. Only you know what you can achieve. There's no use being pissed off when your best mate gets all A*s, if they're generally cleverer than you, and you've been predicted all Cs and Ds for the duration of your life. God, just be happy, or dissapointed, with what you get as opposed to everybody else. But don't give people a hard time if they get good grades, or higher than you. Seriously, it just looks pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    In life there are no failures.... only outcomes

If you do bad in a subject in comparison to another person, then use it as a way of improving yourself. Learn from any mistakes.. Dont waste time on Jealousy...

ReputationRep:
    It is hard to be focused on your own when people with better grades undermine you though. I've known quite a few people who have made me feel like crap over the years by telling me how stupid I am if they get more than me in a test (however low its significance).

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree with Sona when she says that most people forget what they ever learnt for GCSE, 10, 15 years down the line. Thats why A-Levels are of a much higher regard to employers and universities, as they are more specific and they portray a more accurate measure of your capability to cope with independant study. After all, whilst studying GCSEs you have high pressure from teachers, constantly on your back, reminding, reminding, REMINDING. When it comes to A-Level, the new prospect of independant study means that students have to exercise a high level of self-disipline and have to carry out their own study of sections of the syllabus in their leisure time. I'm sick of sounding like someone who is jelous, so I'll say it and end it here. At the end of the day, its down to your own morals and views; If you find GCSEs important, thats your view and your intitled to it. I however do not find them of a great importance, that's just me. THE END.

ReputationRep:
    I don't find them to be of great importance either, but that's not to say I don't mind doing **** in them. I'll still be a bit gutted if I get crap grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    I don't find them to be of great importance either, but that's not to say I don't mind doing **** in them. I'll still be a bit gutted if I get crap grades.
    Zhivago you're so funky darling.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.