Turn on thread page Beta

Don't rub your results in our faces please ? when they come out watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    In life there are no failures.... only outcomes

If you do bad in a subject in comparison to another person, then use it as a way of improving yourself. Learn from any mistakes.. Dont waste time on Jealousy...
    i agree, but sometimes u get really caught up in comparing yourself to another person and you mess up yourself. i think you should only compare yourslef with people working at your level. deres no point in comparing yourself with einsteien, cos then ull have to kill yourself

ReputationRep:
    Zhivago you're so funky darling.
    Well, I try....*jokes* As are you my friend, as are you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Well, I try....*jokes* As are you my friend, as are you.
    I feel so special now, so special.

ReputationRep:
    Tis true my friend, tis true. (*pisses self at repetition thing going on here!*)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trish xx)
    i dont agree with that, because some people may have worked to the best of their ability, and achieved a C, this doesn't mean that they havn't worked hard, some people probably did entirely the opposite, if people didn't work over the years then they deserve to get a lower grade. all i'm really trying to say is that, stereotyping people who got Bs and Cs as non-workers is wrong, because they could have been working their a***s off, and deserve the best they could have got.
    I would have to agree. I know I'm an acception but I was not in school in year 10 because of health problems. I am predicted mainly Cs - but for me that is a huge achievement. It doesnt mean I'm stupid, or I havent worked. Its means that I have done the best of my ability (which in my case is that best I could have done in 1 year)

For some people Cs and Ds are a huge achievement - and its not only the people who get A*s and As who should be proud and praised - everyone should be prasied for their efforts. However thats not to say that getting A*s is not an achievement because it is. But I think there should be more equal praise and acceptance for peoples results.

I think its wrong to say that people that get Cs and Ds are write offs - and shouldnt be at university or wont get a job. Not everyone is academic. I personally am far better at things like music and drama than at english and maths. Maybe these people can take a vocational route into good employment and a good job. University is not the only route to success.

I think we should all praise eachother what ever we get. Because each persons circumstances are differnt. And for some people getting a C would be tragically awful - and others would think it was fantastic. We should respect peoples opinions on their own grades.

Good luck getting your results. I cant wait!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I cant wait!!!!
    That's weird and fu cked up!!

But I agree with the C/D thing, like I said before, Cs are an achievement for some people, they shouldn't feel bad that others get A*s, they should be pleased if they acieve what they wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    hehe no its not. Not everyone wories about there results. I'm really looking forward to it. Ok I'm a little anxious. But I know that I've done ok. I know that I'm not going to get all Es so theres nothing to worry about!

ReputationRep:
    Dude... if you have worked as hard as you say you have, then I think you may be pleasantly suprised come results day.

Boasting about grades and rubbing other people's face's in it is wrong, very wrong, and totally pathetic. Those that do it are sad little cretins anyway. At the end of the day as you say, it's a piece of paper, ok a qualification can be a ticket to many things, but it is not a ticket to life and at the end of the day that is all we are here for, to live life.

ReputationRep:
    well said!

ReputationRep:
    /me takes his hat off to stratomaster

ReputationRep:
    Harmony has been restored!

ReputationRep:
    For now atleast. Its the people that stay up till midnight that have the most sense!

ReputationRep:
    Its the people that stay up till midnight that have the most sense!
    So true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheepgirl)
    For now atleast. Its the people that stay up till midnight that have the most sense!
    Night time people rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheepgirl)
    I think its wrong to say that people that get Cs and Ds are write offs - and shouldnt be at university or wont get a job. Not everyone is academic. I personally am far better at things like music and drama than at english and maths. Maybe these people can take a vocational route into good employment and a good job. University is not the only route to success.
    i agree. after all, gcse's are crap indicators as to how intelligent a person is, its the a levels where youre doing what you WANT to do. gcse's are what youre forced to do. and no one works because theyre so sick of being told what to do when

college will be MUCH better and more relaxed. well, sixth form for me. but at least the teachers are nicer then. apparently the way lessons are are much more different. more relaxed. coz compulsory education is over. im looking forward to it!!!

on a side note, i got my hair cut today. its perdy.

EDIT: also. btw, axle05... you seem like a very debateful young chap! i hope youre doing some a levels where you can have a good old debate and express your own strong-minded viewpoint

ReputationRep:
    perdy
    Heh.

ReputationRep:
    I do not think for one instance that intelligence is a measure of academic ability. There are, however, many forms of intelligence.

In my opinion, GCSE's and A levels show the amount of effort one has put in to his/her studies.

I'd like to remind you all that around 50% of people nationwide achieve 5 A*-C grades. Of these 50 %, some will go into full time employment, narrowing down the percentage that go into further education. Thus after further education, the percentage is narrowed down to a lesser extent for those going into higher education.

The people that whine with regards to achieving 15A* and 1A are the sad individuals with no life.

ReputationRep:
    I do not think for one instance that intelligence is a measure of academic ability
    Hmm...disagree. I agree that, to some extent, examination results are down to how hard a person works, and how much effort they put in; but also how good they are at examination technique etc. However, intelligence is obviously linked with academic ability. I think it's a little silly to assume it isn't; for example if person A does no work, and gets really nervous in exams but is generally cleverer than person B, who also does no work and also is crap at exams, then person A is obviously going to fare better, because they have greater natural intelligence. This is why really naturally clever people get As and A*s without putting any effort in whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Hmm...disagree. I agree that, to some extent, examination results are down to how hard a person works, and how much effort they put in; but also how good they are at examination technique etc. However, intelligence is obviously linked with academic ability. I think it's a little silly to assume it isn't; for example if person A does no work, and gets really nervous in exams but is generally cleverer than person B, who also does no work and also is crap at exams, then person A is obviously going to fare better, because they have greater natural intelligence. This is why really naturally clever people get As and A*s without putting any effort in whatsoever.
    I'll reiterate what I was trying to say as you seem to have slightly misinterpreted the meaning of the underlying message.

Just because one can pass exams, does not mean to say, that he or she is "intelligent".

I do agree that academic ability plays a small part of one's intelligence, but no way is intelligence purely based on someones academic performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnimalLover)
    I'll reiterate what I was trying to say as you seem to have slightly misinterpreted the meaning of the underlying message.

Just because one can pass exams, does not mean to say, that he or she is "intelligent".

I do agree that academic ability plays a small part of one's intelligence, but no way is intelligence purely based on someones academic performance.
    Does it matter? At the end of the day, having a good academic ability will get you into further education and then hopefully into an undergraduate course. I also agree about GCSEs not being an accurate measure of natural aptitude; - but one won't get into Medical School by simply being "intelligent". People have to show initiative and that they are willing to learn and study parts of a course which may not be appealing to them, naturally.

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.