Turn on thread page Beta

Don't rub your results in our faces please ? when they come out watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Corleone)
    Does it matter?
    Well of course.
    At the end of the day, having a good academic ability will get you into further education and then hopefully into an undergraduate course.
    If you had been reading, the point I raised had nothing to do with whether or not someone gets a place on an undergraduate degree scheme. I was simply implying that just because someone is academic, does not mean they are intelligent; there are many forms of intelligence.
    People have to show initiative and that they are willing to learn and study parts of a course which may not be appealing to them, naturally
    Are you sure about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnimalLover)
    Well of course.
    Arguable.

(Original post by AnimalLover[If you had been reading, the point I raised had [i)
    nothing[/i] to do with whether or not someone gets a place on an undergraduate degree scheme.
    I was using this as an example as to how it doesn't matter what your intelectual calibre is like, mainly a candidate with academic potential can achieve in good employment, being intelligent is futile unless you have academic ability. Which is also like saying your post was pointless on a student forum.

I was simply implying that just because someone is academic, does not mean they are intelligent; there are many forms of intelligence.
    Again, I ask, does this matter?

Are you sure about that?
    Why wouldn't I be? Of course to do well in life you need to show initiave, take control and apply yourself, being intelligent just isn't enough. I suppose I'm saying why post such a silly opinion on a studen forum where people are not interested in being intelligent, but making something of themselves.

ReputationRep:
    There are only really 2 forms of intelligence; being wise, although maybe not academically intellectual; academic intellectual, this links with high IQ etc etc

With any kind of intelligence, comes power.

ReputationRep:
    I was using this as an example as to how it doesn't matter what your intelectual calibre is like, mainly a candidate with academic potential can achieve in good employment, being intelligent is futile unless you have academic ability. Which is also like saying your post was pointless on a student forum.
    Why are you bringing employment into this? The main point I raised, states that just because someone is academically gifted, doesn't necessarily mean they are intelligent! I don't recall mentioning employability anywhere.

Again, I ask, does this matter?
    Conveying a point.

Why wouldn't I be? Of course to do well in life you need to show initiave, take control and apply yourself, being intelligent just isn't enough. I suppose I'm saying why post such a silly opinion on a studen forum where people are not interested in being intelligent, but making something of themselves.
    I don't care what people are interested in; i'm making points which i'm allowed to do.
    What does doing well in life, have any relevance or bearing to what I just said?

People rubbed their results in my face at GCSE. It just made me work harder for A2's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagician)
    People rubbed their results in my face at GCSE. It just made me work harder for A2's.
    and did it help?

(Original post by saiyamana)
    and did it help?
    yeah totally! I've been predicted A's for my subject .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagician)
    yeah totally! I've been predicted A's for my subject .
    oooh well done

So this is a good thing then?! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    The main point I raised, states that just because someone is academically gifted, doesn't necessarily mean they are intelligent!
    Um, that's stupid; in my opinion. I can see the point you are trying to convey, but in all honesty, you're not putting it across too well. A person who is academically gifted is bloody obviously intelligent!! Are you trying to tell me that the people who gain 10 A*s at GCSE level, As at A-Level - those who are academically gifted - are not intelligent? If so, I think it is you, who is not all that intelligent. But whatever...I can't be arsed with you to be honest.

Mathemagician, what GCSE grades did you get? And what were the grades that people rubbed in?! Well done with your predictions.

ReputationRep:
    im pred 7/8/9 A* (lol -- i wish!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Um, that's stupid; in my opinion. I can see the point you are trying to convey,
    First it's stupid, and now you acknowledge the point I conveyed? Bit of a contradiction, wouldn't you say? :rolleyes:
    but in all honesty, you're not putting it across too well. A person who is academically gifted is bloody obviously intelligent!! Are you trying to tell me that the people who gain 10 A*s at GCSE level, As at A-Level - those who are academically gifted - are not intelligent?
    No i'm not saying that at all; you're basing weak assumptions with regards to the points raised. Anyone can obtain top grades providing they put work and effort into the subjects concerned.

Are you trying to say that the only form of intelligence comes from being academic?

If so, I think it is you, who is not all that intelligent. But whatever...I can't be arsed with you to be honest.
    I'm not the one who is intelligent? Oh, I take it you can form ridiculous judgements from a few messages? If anyone here lacks intelligence, it's you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus)
    There are only really 2 forms of intelligence; being wise, although maybe not academically intellectual; academic intellectual, this links with high IQ etc etc
    Actually, there are lots of components to 'intelligence'. One psychologist defined it as 'the ability to cope successfully with life', so read into that what you will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    Actually, there are lots of components to 'intelligence'. One psychologist defined it as 'the ability to cope successfully with life', so read into that what you will.
    Ah finally, someone justifies my opinionated views towards the subject matter concerned.

Amen to you, amie!

ReputationRep:
    AnimalLover, seen as you seem to take pleasure in dissecting people's opinions, in a very, very irritating manner, I'll do the same to you.

First of all:

Um, that's stupid; in my opinion. I can see the point you are trying to convey
    First it's stupid, and now you acknowledge the point I conveyed? Bit of a contradiction, wouldn't you say?
    This is a ****ing stupid thing to say, seen as I originally stated:

Um, that's stupid; in my opinion. I can see the point you are trying to convey, but in all honesty, you're not putting it across too well
    Dumbass, it's convenient how you, um, mislaid the second part to that sentence isn't it?

Secondly, this:

Anyone can obtain top grades providing they put work and effort into the subjects concerned.
    If by "top" you refer to grades such as A and A*, then this is clearly not the case. I doubt very much whether people who are not naturally intelligent could gain A* grades at GCSE with mere hard work, yes, Bs, but no not A*s and As, not without some degree of natural intelligence. If this were the case, then GCSEs and other academic examinations would be a joke, you prick. GCSEs and A-Levels especially, aren't supposed to be a little grade you can take home to prove how hard you work, if it were the case that people with no natural intelligence whatsoever could gain As at A-Level, then I think they'd be a little futile wouldn't they? As how would top universities etc distinguish between candidates' intelligence?

Are you trying to say that the only form of intelligence comes from being academic?
    Maybe I am actually. It's what I believe. People can have a wordly sort of "intelligence" about them, but no, in my opinion, intelligence is an academic factor, and there's no point you arguing this point with me, as it is simply my belief and I am fully entitled to it.

If anyone here lacks intelligence, it's you.
    I beg to differ. My teachers, friends, other people on this board, anyone who knows me etc, would beg to differ. I've been predicted 9 A*s and 1 A, and whilst I believe that I probably will not achieve those grades, I do not lack intelligence. And you can **** off to be frank because you've been here all of five minutes and as of yet, I believe, have a grand total of nil supporters, so I'd stop with the arrogant ******* act. It's funny how you join TSR after the exams are over, and the summer holidays begin...probably because you have no real friends and thus, will be spending the whole summer cocooned in a virtual reality whereby you have friends and an inate sense of intelligence.

Don't speak to me, you cocky ****. Go and shag a sheep seen as you're such an animal lover.

I swear a lot, and become very immature, when I'm pissed off, other users, please forgive me.

ReputationRep:
    How you 'define' intelligence depends on you and your outlook on life. Intelligence is such a varied attribute in people. I mean, would you say someone with Asperger's Syndrome who can read and understand 800 words a minute but cannot distinguish when someone is happy or sad is unintelligent or intelligent? Its all down to what your individual outlook on life.

ReputationRep:
    I've been predicted 9 A*s and 1 A, and whilst I believe that I probably will not achieve those grades, I do not lack intelligence.
    That's not necessarily true.

Taking Sternberg's definition of intelligence that I posted earlier, although you might be highly abled in the cognitive component, its quite possible that you might be at an early stage of moral development, or you might not be particularly 'streetwise'.

It appears to me that you consider cognitive ability to be the only indicator of intelligence, but this is simply not true. You're too focussed on measured intelligence in my opinion, and not thinking about intelligence holistically.

I'm not saying that you're not streetwise or morally developed, I haven't a clue, I've never met you. But I felt it important to point out that these are parts of intelligence that can't be ignored. Although, given your outburst towards Animal Lover, I get the overall impression that you lack maturity and thus lack an important part of intelligence...but feel free to prove me wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I actually feel that academic ability is a measure of some intelligence. A natural aptitude in a subject such as maths will make it easier to absorb what is being taught. I know someone who worked herself to exhaustion and achieved C and D grades at GCSE. She said she felt good when she came out of her exams and when she recieved her results she just stated that she had done her best. She may not be suited for an academic future, however she is very pretty and has a great eye for fashion. If she has the ability to notice which materials/colours work well together, this is an intelligence in fashion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamen)
    I actually feel that academic ability is a measure of some intelligence.
    Yes, its a measure of cognitive ability, which is a part of intelligence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    Yes, its a measure of cognitive ability, which is a part of intelligence
    Yep. Intelligence is so vast it's quite amazing actually. We are all unique and all have special traits / talents which can all be thought of as intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    AnimalLover, seen as you seem to take pleasure in dissecting people's opinions, in a very, very irritating manner, I'll do the same to you.
    I can hardly wait.
    First of all:

This is a ****ing stupid thing to say, seen as I originally stated:

Dumbass, it's convenient how you, um, mislaid the second part to that sentence isn't it?
    It's convenient how I , "um", what?

If by "top" you refer to grades such as A and A*, then this is clearly not the case. I doubt very much whether people who are not naturally intelligent could gain A* grades at GCSE with mere hard work, yes, Bs, but no not A*s and As, not without some degree of natural intelligence. If this were the case, then GCSEs and other academic examinations would be a joke, you prick.
    I mentioned top grades as in A and B grades at GCSE level. Of course some intelligence is required, but not all! I think the emphasis is purely based on how hard one works during the course of their study.
    GCSEs and A-Levels especially, aren't supposed to be a little grade you can take home to prove how hard you work
    Well of course they are, as well as for other obvious things such as entering further or higher education.

As how would top universities etc distinguish between candidates' intelligence?
    Well if you had been keeping abreast of current situations, you'd know that universities have introduced additional examinations to distinguish between the good and the best candidates.

Maybe I am actually. It's what I believe. People can have a wordly sort of "intelligence" about them, but no, in my opinion, intelligence is an academic factor, and there's no point you arguing this point with me, as it is simply my belief and I am fully entitled to it.
    Intelligence is purely based on academia you say? LOL! Okay

I beg to differ. My teachers, friends, other people on this board, anyone who knows me etc, would beg to differ. I've been predicted 9 A*s and 1 A, and whilst I believe that I probably will not achieve those grades, I do not lack intelligence.
    And? When you get a place at the University College in London please come back to me.
    And you can **** off to be frank
    I think i'll stay.
    because you've been here all of five minutes and as of yet,
    I used to use another name, much before you knew about the existance of this place.
    I believe, have a grand total of nil supporters,
    I tend to disagree.
    Just raising my points.
    It's funny how you join TSR after the exams are over, and the summer holidays begin...probably because you have no real friends and thus, will be spending the whole summer cocooned in a virtual reality whereby you have friends and an inate sense of intelligence.
    I think you should stop resorting to random hate to compensate for your insecurities. It's usually the ones that try to put others down, are the real low self asteem people.
    Don't speak to me, you cocky ****.
    I can do what I like, chav. =)
    I swear a lot, and become very immature, when I'm pissed off, other users, please forgive me.
    You get pissed off? Over the internet? I feel sorry for you.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.