Turn on thread page Beta

Don't rub your results in our faces please ? when they come out watch

ReputationRep:
    I haven't a clue, I've never met you
    That's all there is to it. I live in Liverpool for ****s sake, I am ****ing street wise, I go to a pretty dire state school. I AM NOT one of these people who has no friends and who works their asses of for their grades. In fact I've posted about one hundred times that I wish I'd do more revision. There are personal aspects of my life that I'm not even going to go into...I suggest you **** off to be honest because you've really just wound me up to the point where I'm not even able to communicate with you in a coherent and civilised manner. You don't know me, and I don't care whether your presumptions are "possibilities" or whatever. But I can bet I'm a lot more morally inclined than a lot of ****ing people, I've had a ****ing **** life actually, but I'm still here and I'm going to ****ing make something of myself. I don't give a **** anymore about this argument to be honest...I need to cool off. People like you guys are watering intelligence down...I have respect for people who can make fancy clothes, and fix cars, but I wouldn't say that they are the most intelligent people out there. Once again, stop arguing my point, because I'm not arguing yours, this is my opinion, and I am entitled to it.

And if you even insinuate that I'm morally inept again, I'll ****ing get really pissed off.

I swear too much, apologies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    AnimalLover, seen as you seem to take pleasure in dissecting people's opinions, in a very, very irritating manner, I'll do the same to you.
    I can hardly wait.
    First of all:

This is a ****ing stupid thing to say, seen as I originally stated:

Dumbass, it's convenient how you, um, mislaid the second part to that sentence isn't it?
    It's convenient how I , "um", what?

If by "top" you refer to grades such as A and A*, then this is clearly not the case. I doubt very much whether people who are not naturally intelligent could gain A* grades at GCSE with mere hard work, yes, Bs, but no not A*s and As, not without some degree of natural intelligence. If this were the case, then GCSEs and other academic examinations would be a joke, you prick.
    I mentioned top grades as in A and B grades at GCSE level. Of course some intelligence is required, but not all! I think the emphasis is purely based on how hard one works during the course of their study.
    GCSEs and A-Levels especially, aren't supposed to be a little grade you can take home to prove how hard you work
    Well of course they are, as well as for other obvious things such as entering further or higher education.

As how would top universities etc distinguish between candidates' intelligence?
    Well if you had been keeping abreast of current situations, you'd know that universities have introduced additional examinations to distinguish between the good and the best candidates.

Maybe I am actually. It's what I believe. People can have a wordly sort of "intelligence" about them, but no, in my opinion, intelligence is an academic factor, and there's no point you arguing this point with me, as it is simply my belief and I am fully entitled to it.
    Intelligence is purely based on academia you say? LOL! Okay

I beg to differ. My teachers, friends, other people on this board, anyone who knows me etc, would beg to differ. I've been predicted 9 A*s and 1 A, and whilst I believe that I probably will not achieve those grades, I do not lack intelligence.
    And? When you get a place at the University College in London please come back to me.
    And you can **** off to be frank
    I think i'll stay.
    because you've been here all of five minutes and as of yet,
    I used to use another name, much before you knew about the existance of this place.
    I believe, have a grand total of nil supporters,
    I tend to disagree.
    Just raising my points.
    It's funny how you join TSR after the exams are over, and the summer holidays begin...probably because you have no real friends and thus, will be spending the whole summer cocooned in a virtual reality whereby you have friends and an inate sense of intelligence.
    I think you should stop resorting to random hate to compensate for your insecurities. It's usually the ones that try to put others down, are the real low self asteem people.
    Don't speak to me, you cocky ****.
    I can do what I like, chav. =)
    I swear a lot, and become very immature, when I'm pissed off, other users, please forgive me.
    You get pissed off? Over the internet? I feel sorry for you.

ReputationRep:
    Did you not read my post?

I believe it went something along the lines of, "I'm not saying you're not streetwise, or morally developed".

You see, the point I am making is that cognitive ability is just one part of intelligence. A person might be highly cognitively abled, but lack morals, maturity, or a streetwise attitude. Not you personally.

I think you have your labels mixed up...intelligence has been defined by various people as the ability to cope successfully with life. Cognitive ability is akin to academic ability (although, that is disregarding important factors such as organisation, motivation etc etc).

ReputationRep:
    I can do what I like, chav. =)
    AHA!! I AM NOT A CHAV. What, because I get annoyed when people wind me up and use, ooooh, bad language? Does not make me a chav. To you, I may appear chav-like, because you've pissed me off you little prick. To everybody else on these boards, I'm sure I come across as a perfectly normal person. You're just a complete little ****, and right now I could ******* kick your fat arrogant head in because you've done mine in so much. Oh...maybe I am a chav. No, I feel sorry for youanimallover.

ReputationRep:
    AHA!! I AM NOT A CHAV. What, because I get annoyed when people wind me up and use, ooooh, bad language? Does not make me a chav. To you, I may appear chav-like, because you've pissed me off you little prick. To everybody else on these boards, I'm sure I come across as a perfectly normal person. You're just a complete little ****, and right now I could ******* kick your fat arrogant head in because you've done mine in so much. Oh...maybe I am a chav. No, I feel sorry for youanimallover.
    It made me chortle how you picked out the least significant point.

I've done yours in? Sorry, would you like a kiss? x

ReputationRep:
    chortle
    Once again, I feel sorry for you.

ReputationRep:
    I think animallover's mistaking talent for intelligence. The best guy at art and DT in my year can barely used joined up handwriting. Is he intelligent? Hell no. Is he talented? Yes. There's a big difference, and intelligence, in the real world, is based on how clever you are, not how talented.

ReputationRep:
    I think animallover's mistaking talent for intelligence. The best guy at art and DT in my year can barely used joined up handwriting. Is he intelligent? Hell no. Is he talented? Yes. There's a big difference, and intelligence, in the real world, is based on how clever you are, not how talented.
    EXACTLY. There's talent and then there's intelligence, that's basically what I've been saying. And I've actually just defined it in exactly those terms in a post with amie. Bravo, NSiky, you describe it brilliantly (without getting wound up! lol).

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence is usually said to to involve mental capabilities such as the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend ideas and language, and learn. Although laymen generally regard the concept of intelligence as having much broader scope, in psychology, the study of intelligence generally regards this personality trait as distinct from creativity, personality, character, or wisdom.

Definition from Wikipedia - Intelligence.

I hope this helps this wierd situation............where people with intelligence (in the most generalised term) are fighting over an idea where there are many facets. Both are valid, and wouldn't it be better if people accepted it without being confrontational about it. But, I know a lot of people are loving this drama at the moment....

Hope it helps,

Rudy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NSiky)
    This guy you are talking about is intelligent. He can think creatively and can think up a picture in his head before putting it on paper, so it is accurate... How dare you say that people are unintelligent just because they cannot use joined-up handwriting, which actually has nothing to do with intelligence, its a form of creativity.

ReputationRep:
    This guy you are talking about is intelligent. He can think creatively and can think up a picture in his head before putting it on paper, so it is accurate... How dare you say that people are unintelligent just because they cannot use joined-up handwriting, which actually has nothing to do with intelligence, its a form of creativity.
    Well, you don't really know the guy who's good at DT, so I don't see how you can pass judgement on that to be honest...although I will say that one does not have to be intelligent to think. Anybody can think! ("He can think up a picture in his head...").

I think there are too many pyschology students in this discussion! Who are, basically, sticking to what they've learned in class. And, with all due respect, I'm not sure how much Pyschology is respected at A-Level and GCSE level in the academic world. *waits for torrent of abuse*. Although it does seem sort of interesting...

ReputationRep:
    Well, you don't really know the guy who's good at DT, so I don't see how you can pass judgement on that to be honest...although I will say that one does not have to be intelligent to think. Anybody can think! ("He can think up a picture in his head...").

I think there are too many pyschology students in this discussion! Who are, basically, sticking to what they've learned in class. And, with all due respect, I'm not sure how much Pyschology is respected at A-Level and GCSE level in the academic world. *waits for torrent of abuse*. Although it does seem sort of interesting...
    Hmm... You left a nice comment about my avatar on another thread and I thought "Actually, despite her ranting and foul language on the other thread, she's quite a nice young girl". But you seem very confrontational and critical. Give everyone a break, we may not say the perfect things in your view, but that doesn't mean that what we say should be instantly demined by you.

ReputationRep:
    hahahahaha lol zhivago nice comment. ur gna get stick for that by a lot of college students.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you don't really know the guy who's good at DT, so I don't see how you can pass judgement on that to be honest...
    Well, I can actually. Artists have creative minds and somehow have a nack for choosing the right colours, tone, pattern, material etc... I don't know what goes through the mind of an artist, all I know is that I can't draw to save my life and thats because I do not have a creative mind... I believe creativity is not just a talent, but it is a form of intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence is usually said to to involve mental capabilities such as the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend ideas and language, and learn. Although laymen generally regard the concept of intelligence as having much broader scope, in psychology, the study of intelligence generally regards this personality trait as distinct from creativity, personality, character, or wisdom.
    Actually, in psychology the study of measured intelligence - ie. cognitive ability - regards this trait as distinct from others. There isn't really any study of intelligence as a whole, since it is too complicated to combine all the factors of it. For example, how on earth do you measure streetwise-ness?! Hence why cognition is studied; its easily quantified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    Actually, in psychology the study of measured intelligence - ie. cognitive ability - regards this trait as distinct from others. There isn't really any study of intelligence as a whole, since it is too complicated to combine all the factors of it. For example, how on earth do you measure streetwise-ness?! Hence why cognition is studied; its easily quantified.
    Well said.

ReputationRep:
    I think there are too many pyschology students in this discussion! Who are, basically, sticking to what they've learned in class.
    Actually, although the experimental work I've referred to I did learn from my psychology text book, I've used it to come to my own conclusions and opinions, which are what I am posting about. So I'm not just sticking to what I've learned in class :p:

ReputationRep:
    probably because you have no real friends and thus, will be spending the whole summer cocooned in a virtual reality whereby you have friends and an inate sense of intelligence.
    I think this is a tad extroverted; Re-evaluate your life. Why are you here? To argue with everyone? Find something more productive to do and stop filling your time by futile online debate...

ReputationRep:
    I think this is a tad extroverted; Re-evaluate your life. Why are you here? To argue with everyone? Find something more productive to do and stop filling your time by futile online debate...
    I don't need to re-evaluate my life. Seriously, why would I need to re-evaluate my life? I have wonderful friends, I have wonderful hobbies which I enjoy immensely, I have really good predicted grades, I'm hoping I have a good future ahead of me. It makes me angry that you would tell me to "re-evaluate (my) life", when you so clearly do not know me as a person. I think that is exceedingly harsh, and a bit intrusive of you. I'm not going to tell you to "re-evaluate" your life because you post a few different opinions, that I may disagree with.

I'm here because I enjoy the debate and discussion. I love it. I've been to the European Parliament in Strasbourg, I'm chairperson of my School Council and it's fabulous. I'm sure if you searched around for my posts you'd see that I am actually an intelligent, and intiative person, who often enjoys debate and discussion. I guess I've let myself down here today because I've become really angry at trivial matters, but I don't like to think I'm being personally attacked. I think it's rather rich of you to ask me why I'm here, and to tell me to stop arguing when you have 13 posts to your name, and thus, do not entirely have an extensive background knowledge of who I am, and my role in this forum. In fact, I rarely argue. Mainly I have a bit of a laugh, convey my opinions, and chip in with advice where I can.

Actually, although the experimental work I've referred to I did learn from my psychology text book, I've used it to come to my own conclusions and opinions, which are what I am posting about. So I'm not just sticking to what I've learned in class
    I'm not necessarily "dissing" Pyschology by any means. I personally think it looks rather interesting. But I have been told by peers, such as 3 Oxford tutors, that Pyschology, and other subjects such as Sociology, are not all that regarded at A-Level or GCSE level; neither is Law or Politics I believe. Apparently they're much more in-depth at degree level. But that's not to say Pyschology does not appeal to me, I would never take it, but it certainly seems interesting enough. I didn't mean to offend, I'm just going by what others have told me here.

ReputationRep:
    Find something more productive to do and stop filling your time by futile online debate...
    Lets be honest...the same could be said for you if you're going to throw that one at me! :p:

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.