Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what do u think about under age sex?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou*)
    what do u think about under age sex?
    Hiya lou, no matter what we do to prevent it, its going to happen regardless. If anything I think under 16s need to be made more aware of what being sexually active from an early age can mean to them in the long term, also making contraception for them more easily available. Surely its better to have such things accessible and prevent unwanted pregnancy and hopefully encourage safe sex so keeping std's to a minimal, than scaring the younger ones away and making sex a seedy thing. Dont get me wrong Im not condoning under age sex, but ive been there, done that, have kids of my own, its same as underage drinking, we know it happens, we try and prevent it by placing obstacles in the way and all that does is make the determined teen adamant on breaking the rules. Offer support, guidance, information, I still think there is a slight taboo on sex and sexuality, its still a giggling point to many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DevilsDoor)
    Hiya lou, no matter what we do to prevent it, its going to happen regardless. If anything I think under 16s need to be made more aware of what being sexually active from an early age can mean to them in the long term, also making contraception for them more easily available. Surely its better to have such things accessible and prevent unwanted pregnancy and hopefully encourage safe sex so keeping std's to a minimal, than scaring the younger ones away and making sex a seedy thing. Dont get me wrong Im not condoning under age sex, but ive been there, done that, have kids of my own, its same as underage drinking, we know it happens, we try and prevent it by placing obstacles in the way and all that does is make the determined teen adamant on breaking the rules. Offer support, guidance, information, I still think there is a slight taboo on sex and sexuality, its still a giggling point to many.

ditto!

ReputationRep:
    i think ur right!

ReputationRep:
    She usually is.

ReputationRep:
    It should only be legal under the supervision of a parent / guardian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't that be classified as paedophilia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Wouldn't that be classified as paedophilia?
    I would classify it as a joke.

ReputationRep:
    I would classify it as a joke.
    Its official, I really need that cigarette. brb

ReputationRep:
    There was a program on channel four recently with a woman advocating the lowering of the age of consent. Her arguement was that these children do it and therfore it would be better to make it legal and help them with contreception and advice. However she did miss one point that lowering the age of consent would attract older men and women to younger people. We have a situation in this country where by if you have sex with anyone under 16 it is considered rape because the younger person (in the eyes of the law) cannot not consent to sex. I feel that if you lower the age of consent, you remove this safeguard against predatory older people.

ReputationRep:
    ah had my cancer stick now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neogandalf)
    There was a program on channel four recently with a woman advocating the lowering of the age of consent. Her arguement was that these children do it and therfore it would be better to make it legal and help them with contreception and advice. However she did miss one point that lowering the age of consent would attract older men and women to younger people. We have a situation in this country where by if you have sex with anyone under 16 it is considered rape because the younger person (in the eyes of the law) cannot not consent to sex. I feel that if you lower the age of consent, you remove this safeguard against predatory older people.
    Well then, the ideal solution would be to lower the legal age of consent, but leave the safeguard (16+) against paedophila in place.

ReputationRep:
    Well then, the ideal solution would be to lower the legal age of consent, but leave the safeguard (16+) against paedophila in place.
    If only it was so easy. Bloody good point though. Sadly all influential politicians are too old to understand such wise suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    Because it wouldn't win them votes!

ReputationRep:
    At 16 some people still act like little kids others may not. Some people may be responsible enough to think about what they are doing but not everyone. There has to be a limit and 16 is when you leave school and can take on the responsibility of a job. At this age you realise that you are in charge of your future and developing relationships and careers is part of this.

Having said that, are you really a different person after exactly 5844 days of being alive than you were when you had only been alive 5800?

I suppose there has to be a limit.

I think going to an all boys school, as I did, keeps this problem away from you (unless you were a pufter!) because you wouldnt be around the opposite sex just as much. Most of my friends from school were 16 and it would be the talk of the playground if someone got lucky!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Because it wouldn't win them votes!
    Yup yup. Old and gutless. Always willing to jump on a band wagon before making a sensible stance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Yup yup. Old and gutless. Always willing to jump on a band wagon before making a sensible stance.
    The thing is, it is hardly their fault, if they stand for election with a policy as said above, they will NOT be elected due to people moaning about morality etc. They are hardly gutless not to do it, because even if they did, they wouldn't be elected, hence could not impliment the changes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    The thing is, it is hardly their fault, if they stand for election with a policy as said above, they will NOT be elected due to people moaning about morality etc. They are hardly gutless not to do it, because even if they did, they wouldn't be elected, hence could not impliment the changes.
    Adolph Hitler managed it. Sure he was a monster, yet he was admired for many reasons, one of which was the ability to make a stance.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, good girl must be a virgin until she marries. Or until she finds the one she loves and want to live with him for whole life.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2003
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.