Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if you're automatically given 0 marks if you swear on a paper? Something quite simple like, "**** question".

ReputationRep:
    lol =o Did you do it?

ReputationRep:
    they'll mark what they can.. if its in the correct context then no problem but if its a random insult to the exam board such as that ^^ then probably you wont get any marks on that question

ReputationRep:
    Last year my teacher told us about a GCSE candidate who was describing possible events that could form the distance-time graph shown in the question. His answer ended with something like, "He promptly returned home and ****** his mum" and either that paper or all of his papers got ripped up.

Even something very minor (like leaving a phone switched on in a bag at the side of the hall) can get your entire exam season cancelled (it happened to a girl in my school), so I'd be surprised if they only held off marking that question and didn't ruin their year.

Obviously if it's in the right context then it's OK, but I can't think of an example of when that's been the case. Anyone sworn on an exam paper? I probably said 'damn' a few times in my GCSE English...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverjonny)
    Last year my teacher told us about a GCSE candidate who was describing possible events that could form the distance-time graph shown in the question. His answer ended with something like, "He promptly returned home and ****** his mum" and either that paper or all of his papers got ripped up.

Even something very minor (like leaving a phone switched on in a bag at the side of the hall) can get your entire exam season cancelled (it happened to a girl in my school), so I'd be surprised if they only held off marking that question and didn't ruin their year.
    Hmm I'd say it depends on the marker really. We had one person in our class whos phone went off IN THEIR POCKET during the exam. But the teacher was just like... give me that dont bring it in again... etc

ReputationRep:
    My mate did...in the context of his answer etc...got a G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    My mate did...in the context of his answer etc...got a G
    :rofl: maybe it was just a poor answer

ReputationRep:
    yeah, woudlnt risk it if i was you especially proper offensive stuff - why give them the ammuntion - if the examiner has had a **** day whats to say he/she wont take it out on you!

ReputationRep:
    it is not up to the teacher to pick and choose what to do if somebody's phone goes off in their pocket - a report of the occurance should have been sent to the exam board!!!

smiler

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't swear no matter what context it is in. I would just use another word that is not a swear word to substitute the swear word.

ReputationRep:
    lol, i wouldnt recommend swearing in a exam lol!

ReputationRep:
    i did it on my GCSE Science paper.

My mind went blank for the question "where are sperm produced" so i put *******s/balls. Not sure if that is swearing though.

ReputationRep:
    Planning on swearing in the biology exam endeavour?? I was, but I didn't, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    i did it on my GCSE Science paper.

My mind went blank for the question "where are sperm produced" so i put *******s/balls. Not sure if that is swearing though.
    :rofl: I think they would prefere the scientific version

ReputationRep:
    If you swear AT the examiner, probably. If it's directed at a question, they'll mark what you've done. If you swear in context then they won't mark you down.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt unless its a General Studies exam.

ReputationRep:
    Actually - you know if you're doing English and it's ina quote? I'm always tempted to write f*** instead of writing the word, just because I think it looks nasty (I swear a hell of a lot when I'm talking btw, it's really bad) but I was wondering if the examiners would think you were some kind of a prude for doing it? It's not the direct quotation if you put 8's as well so do you think that would count against you?

ReputationRep:
    I remember during my GCSE exam there was a question regarding some sort of interpretation thing and your own view, and you had to write an essay. In relation to the question I portrayed my view of sitting in the exam hall writing this paper and describing what I felt. I got an A Even my teacher who predicted me a B was shocked.

ReputationRep:
    Not about swearing but still about writing dumb things;

Last year someone at my boyfriend's school got a D in citizenship by writing just Korn and Slipknot lyrics as answers. That's what he said, anyway! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Heh, I doubt it. Probably just quoted them :P.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.