Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know a guy hu got board in his General Studies exam and drew a penis on his paper - got a U for the paper!

ReputationRep:
    erm... everyone who's saying it gets destroyed .etc and your paper is unmarked is wrong, i got an A* at English GCSE with numerous swear words in the paper, agreed they were in context but they can't destroy it on those grounds its not allowed.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think it matters if the swearing's a quotation, i've had that before and its ok if its in the proper context

ReputationRep:
    .. did anyone getthe awesome gcse english involving jamie oliver and how he had sexed up cooking?

ReputationRep:
    I swore like a trooper all the way through a couple of general studies essays coz I got so riled up about them! Got full UMS in both so it musta been pretty good context.. or the examiner couldnt read my writing

ReputationRep:
    yeah... apparently its okay in context. Like in my politics exam im allowed to quote some radical feminist saying "giving birth is like s***ing a pumpking"

ReputationRep:
    lol..yeah i had to write in 1 of my history exams that one of the kings was a ''B*****d'' child ..of course i could easily have said ''illegitimate''. but it didnt occur to me at the time.

ReputationRep:
    I had to swear in my english exam today. I was pointing out that the narrator had a colloquial idiolect, which was shown when she used the words "birds sh*t". Last year i used the F word :eek: . Oooh- thats what you call extreme/action packed examinations- not! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    A possible future General studies question could ask about poverty and third world debt, in which case the quote (or misquote) "Just give us your ****ing money", would be acceptable I think. My teacher told me that examiners (especially for General Studies) have some sort of abuse report sheet. Slightly off-topic, one of my friends wrote her entire General studies AS Level in German and got a D I think (or perhaps an E).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammi_k)
    lol..yeah i had to write in 1 of my history exams that one of the kings was a ''B*****d'' child ..of course i could easily have said ''illegitimate''. but it didnt occur to me at the time.
    I don't think ******* is a swearword, its just an archaic and perhaps un-PC term for an illegitimate child. Marking you down for that would have been contestable.

ReputationRep:
    I swore in GCSE English, but in context. Was no problem at all.
    If you comment about the question or, worse, direct something at the examiner, it's likely to be noted. If it's just "**** question", they're probably just going to be not favouring you (they'll think you're a bit of a prat, probably), rather than complalining. If you direct something at the examiner, frankly you deserve to get no marks.

They cannot mark you down if it's relevant, though.
    Epitome xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    I believe I did, yes.
    :ditto:

more pertinent to this thread - was it the other paper or that paper where you also had to describe a place you hated? well, whichever it was i wrote a blinding narrative about getting stoned in some woods somewhere. all language used was fully in context, but come the end of the exam, i was very worried because i had included more than the odd anglo-saxon term. moreso i also realised that i hadn't actually answered the question, ie described a place i hated. the intention was there, the whole being stoned experience was only meant to be at the most a page intro that lead into describing the woods. i thought the colourful experience of being stoned would lead go well with all the description of the woods. i could use the being stoned as a metaphor? (simile? i dunno what its called) all the way through with poppies and mushrooms and vivid random colour and the feelings they both induced. unfortunately the "intro" became 8 pages of psychedelia and colourful language and i never got round to describing the woods. however, it was the first time i've got an A* in english.. so make of that what you will...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.