Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok Guys How Did U Find The Exam???

ReputationRep:
    wot exam?

ReputationRep:
    Hey r u talking about the unit 5B edexcel biology exam......how was it? wat all questions came up....im preparing for unit 6... i want to have an idea?

ReputationRep:
    Hehe unless you're in somewhere that isn't the UK then the exam doesn't start for another 2 hours!!

ReputationRep:
    Just about to drive off to take mine now! EEK!!! (And I'm still trying to learn things this morning! heh heh!)

ReputationRep:
    just done it....wasnt too bad

ReputationRep:
    Unit 5 was quite nice.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i agree, it wasn't too bad at all.

ReputationRep:
    was good, not sure about the primer, and what did you guys right for the other causes of transpiration. Also what causes the movement of absic acid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BLUREMI)
    was good, not sure about the primer, and what did you guys right for the other causes of transpiration. Also what causes the movement of absic acid
    Other causes of transpiration? I dont remeber a question like that at all. Was it not about describing the graph and explaining it. It said the weather remains the same therefore wind temperture etc are tuled out on the question anyways.

For Absic acid I said the transpiration stream would move it up through the xylem?? Just a guess.

ReputationRep:
    i said through the phloem...lol....again just a guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poh87)
    Other causes of transpiration? I dont remeber a question like that at all. Was it not about describing the graph and explaining it. It said the weather remains the same therefore wind temperture etc are tuled out on the question anyways.

For Absic acid I said the transpiration stream would move it up through the xylem?? Just a guess.
    yeh because the distance was too far for diffusion. The question was to explain why transpiration decreased in days 2 and 3. It cant be to do with weather. I just said that leaves may have been lost, the stem broken, not sure about it though

ReputationRep:
    yeah ur right!! i said it will move in the xylem with water! thats what i said...

what about the paragraph thingie about pesticides and the use of fertilizers? i said fertilizers leached bla bla bla... and the pesticides are not specific so they killed other crops..

wt about the specition question ? the second part how can u prove its from the wtever? i said fingerprinting... the nuncelotides squence of the dna is the same for both is that right?!?!

the pcr question... the disadvantage is cuz takes time?

what did u guys think about unit 4?! what is the similarty between chemical and hormoal coordination ? what is the enzyme resop[lbile for the anitcation of the physical thing?!

(Original post by poh87)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BLUREMI)
    yeh because the distance was too far for diffusion. The question was to explain why transpiration decreased in days 2 and 3. It cant be to do with weather. I just said that leaves may have been lost, the stem broken, not sure about it though
    Thats true altho I wrote about stomatal closure.

(Original post by ossoss87)
    wt about the specition question ? the second part how can u prove its from the wtever? i said fingerprinting... the nuncelotides squence of the dna is the same for both is that right?!?!
    I wrote 'something' about DNA fingerprinting too although that was not a easy question, atleast it was only 2 marks. But I think its to do with cutting up the DNA and then comparing the like stripes on the DNA. Its not actually in the book whidh is stupid but I heard about it before so

ReputationRep:
    I thought it went ok
    We kinda agreed that Unit 5 was a bit of a beeatch but the synoptic was better
    For the primers i basically described the structure of DNA nucleotides, because i only remember DNA nucleotides being added to the solution nothing else

For the movement of abscisic acid i put translocation in the phloem because i remember revising the things transported in the phloem and it included plant growth substances. Only water and mineral ions go in the xylem

The transpiration question, it stated in the question that water loss is minimised by reducing transpiration.
    Describing the graph you talk about how the plant photosynthesises when light intensity is highest so stomata are open during the day, and how in the middle of the day it's hottest so the plant needs to cool down most

Pesticides and dehedgin and everything it's all about insects dying, and reduction in habitats etc

ReputationRep:
    i just did the unit 5 exam, thought it was the nicest exam ive seen from all the past papers. For the acid, I said it moved up the xylem as if it was present in the leafs, it could be a soluable organic product and so move with water up the xylem during transpiration

the pesticides are not specific so they killed other crops..
    You mean other organisms like the insects which the birds fed off of?

I came out very happy with the exam, which for bio, is rare! Might have failed it miserably, but I think I did very well, so yay!

Good luck on your results everyone!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    I thought it went ok
    For the movement of abscisic acid i put translocation in the phloem because i remember revising the things transported in the phloem and it included plant growth substances. Only water and mineral ions go in the xylem
    Hmm confusing, I put xylem because I thought that phloem transports the products of photosynthesis away fromt he leaves to sinks/other parts of the plant for storage etc. Whereas it specifically said ABA was produced in the roots therefore that led me to assume the most logical answer would be the xylem which transports substances in solution up to the leaves. But could I be wrong?? Ahh so which is is.......Phloem vs Xylem.

ReputationRep:
    ...........'blink'..hm i duno how to describe....the exam wasn't HARD...but the questions they asked were quite..'apllication' like and its hard to say whether you are rite or wrong. I'm kidna disapointed that none of the synoptic stuff i revsied came up >< boohooo

primers..yeh I did the same bekaboo..said they were short syrangs of single stranded DNA and did a little bit on the nucleotides ribose etc

why was this better than using bacteria? at first i said it was faster..but THEN ir eebered that abcteria replciate pretty fast too..so i said dat it was more 'reliable' coz some vectors may not take up the desired gene in bacteria.......shrugs...

OMG b4 i go n e further can i stress how UGLY the fishes were, i felt really freaked out....they looked scarey.........(i have a weird phobia with fishes)
    anyways..it asked hwo to use the DNA/protein etc to prove they had common ancestors....this i found puzzling..coz..'genetic finger printing' came to mind..but..ive neverheard of n e 1 doin a genetic fingering test on a fish -_-!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i didnt put it...i rote sumtin similar 'compare the DNA constitutes of the 2 fishes they should be similar'...looking back.,.,that does not even make sense...
    The abscisic acid..i said the phloem and everythign else i cud remeber bekaboo telling me (loading etc ><) THANKS!

the graph on transpiration...i said that the soil got drier...and so by thr 2nd n 3rd day the water potentil in plant is lower than atmosphere...n the stomatat closes due to the lack of water n to aviod further water loss?..(n it peaks around noon due to the heat) ..god i guessed this 1....

the adaptations i scribbed down last minute.....n they were the 1st 2 things that came to mind : 'little stomatas' omg...and 'thicker cuticles'....................... .............

ooo i was very intriged by the cellulase question..on stonewashed jeans..LOL
    i said to stop the reaction.......heat the mixture to denature the enzymes WUAHAH evil..

ok im gona stop before i go crazy!
    i personally found ti a tricky paper.....=/..n msot pple in my skool did..so lets all hope for low boudaries..YAY

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm that is a good point...
    Oh well

ReputationRep:
    After a quick google I think its actually transported in both the Phloem and Xylem....maybe we are all right ^_^! I hope so!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 21, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.