The Student Room Group
Make sure you've read the books quite a few times before the exam - best advice
In the exam, if you can't remember a quote perfectly, just allude to it. Examiners aren't completely evil, and do realise that you don't have the text in front of you. I'd say that, for Othello, I know about twenty quotes perfectly, plus a few phrases ('honest Iago' etc) and some critical opinions. I will probably know more by this afternoon. However, there are some things which I don't know perfectly, and as such I'll just make a reference in my own words. Try also, remembering key words that are repeated; I'm doing Keats and in the Eve of St. Agnes, there is repitition on the image of the rose - I'm hoping beauty comes up as I know I can use it!
I agree, and if you can't remember a quote make one up, call it Jones, like the examiner's are going to know if its real or not as long as you make it credible, i.e not Jones says Othello is a bit of a tw*t. In our philosophy exam we all quoted eachother, like me and my best friend, Anderson argues that..... It isnt best practice to do tihs at all, in fact i know loads of critics, but if you get stuck there are ways to work around.

Good luck to everyone doing this exam - which i consider to be so demanding! I spent the year getting straight As like 19/20 or 20/20 and it hasn't helped because I'm fretting now about not getting them marks. My advice would be that they are looking for an informed critical argument so begin your essays with the prefix: 'In this essay I shall argue/demonstrate that....' to set your premise out.

Steve
That's a good last ditch tip actually. My English teacher always tells us to quote the critic 'James'... that's her. She goes by, well, she did a Masters in Shakespearian studies, and she's written many essays, so where's the problem? Heh.
LondonSteve181
My advice would be that they are looking for an informed critical argument so begin your essays with the prefix: 'In this essay I shall argue/demonstrate that....' to set your premise out.

Steve

We've been told not to use first person though... :redface:
Reply 6
Make sure you know the books well, just reread them, do a few practice questions etc. I had a closed text on 'Frankenstein' last year and ended up getting a good A in it! I was really suprised, and i got a much worse mark in my open text exams :eek:

I've got a closed text today on 'The Tempest' and 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf'. I've just learn a few quotations, examiners don't expect you to quote as much because its closed text. Our teacher gave us a model answer (50/50) and the person who wrote it hardely used any quotations, showing you that you don't have to quote in every sentance to get a good grade. Also you can just quote one word, thats ok.
You were told not to use the first person? I could be wrong but i think that's bad advice. The exam mark scheme states that you need to show opinions of others alongside with your own opinion. With Othello they always have two critical opinions and then 'How do you think Shakespeare presents....'. I'd always add in a 'I argue that' obviously using other critics opinions, but hey whatever is best for you. Far be it for me to claim my way is better than anyone elses, so good luck whatever way you do it x
Reply 8
opinions can be done with impersonal expressions such as: "it seems that..." "one might expect that..." "it should be considered that..."
Oh totally, i just prefer to be explicit in what I'm trying to say, our history teacher for AS totally inhibited us from saying 'I think that...' and it so annoyed me as I have opinions and I will voice them damn it lol
Reply 10
i'm definately of the no first person in essays school of thought! if i do use it i just feel like i'm writing a rubbish geog essay! i just prefer voicing my opinions in a more formal/implicit manner but you're right - it's totally up to personal preferance!
To be honest, all English exams, including GCSEs, should be closed book. It's really not hard and means, for once, that students actually need to revise the subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending