Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    The only problem is Spanish speakers in countries outside of Spain seem to be not the same case.
    What problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    And as a bonus its mutually intelligable with Hindi so thats another Billion+ people you can talk to .
    Indeed. Very similar spoken, though different in writing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Indeed. Very similar spoken, though different in writing.
    Yup. One of things which always fascinates me with regard to languages is the way identical/almost identical languages can have completely unrelated scripts. Often with tragic consequences - see the balkans conflict for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    Urdu anyone? With over 500 million speakers worldwide (conservative estimate), one of the most spoken languages in the world.
    You should also take into account the geographic spread of where a language is spoken, not just the number of speakers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    You should also take into account the geographic spread of where a language is spoken, not just the number of speakers.
    I beat you to it with that point . For example learning German wouldnt really be of any great use other than in Europe while learning Spanish would open up the entirity of the Americas as well as a significant part of Europe. Another factor to consider is how many languages are mutually intelligable or nearly so . For example Spanish and Italian are quite close to each other and if you speak one its supposed to be quite easy to understand/learn the other and to a lesser extent this will be true for other Romance languages as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    34 countries from Afghanistan to Zambia sounds a pretty good geographical spread to me.

ReputationRep:
    Yup. One of things which always fascinates me with regard to languages is the way identical/almost identical languages can have completely unrelated scripts. Often with tragic consequences - see the balkans conflict for example.
    In fact, Punjabi, a variant of Urdu, is written in two different scripts: a Urdu-like one in Pakistan and a Hindi-like one in India. Same language, two different scripts. Weird.

ReputationRep:
    I beat you to it with that point .
    That's what I get for skimming

ReputationRep:
    What problem?
    Too many Spanish speakers. Could overtake English in a not too far distant problem. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Too many Spanish speakers. Could overtake English in a not too far distant problem. :eek:
    To my knowledge Spanish already has more mother tongue speakers than English but realistically it will not overtake English as the world language as Spanish speaking nations are not powerful or important enough nor is it very likely that they will become so in the near future. The major danger with Spanish is the splintering of the USA - a prospect which has given rise to a campaign to make English the official language of the USA to try and counter the rapidly inreasing prominence of Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    To my knowledge Spanish already has more mother tongue speakers than English but realistically it will not overtake English as the world language as Spanish speaking nations are not powerful or important enough nor is it very likely that they will become so in the near future. The major danger with Spanish is the splintering of the USA - a prospect which has given rise to a campaign to make English the official language of the USA to try and counter the rapidly inreasing prominence of Spanish.
    I'm very curious as to how the Northeast will react as Spanish becomes a greater issue in the US.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 24, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.