Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

Well I hope this thread will be beneficial to all those students who just entered Yr 13. I just wanted to ask advices from the student who have already done A2 and are doing further studies.
    I have finished my AS and im predicting ....
    Biology A
    Math A
    Chemistry A
    Physics B

I actually wanted advice on the study tips, books to use and other things that u guys want to share as you'll mus have experienced them...
    Advice on :
    * Study tips
    *Amount of work.. and how to organize..
    *Dropping a subject
    *Study guides.. collin and "Make the Grade" for bio chem and phy are good enough .. or do I need other resources
    *Any special studyguide? or books
    *Choice between M2 or S1
    *Any link u'll can pass concerning solomon papers Answer schemes and n e thing else
    *advice on n e thng general.

Well i know this thread will be useful to all others hu will start their A2 year... So u can post advice on any other subject as well....
    I will be waiting for ur replys...
    I know u guys r always there.... to help and suggest....thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you want to drop something, wait until results day to decide. I would recommend CGP, phillip allans, and letts revision guides. It depends what you want to do at university too. AQA past papers are here if you need them: http://www.aqa.org.uk/admin/qp-ms_gce.html I don't think you follow all the subjects are related to solomon... You could also order exam papers from other exam boards (i.e. OCR, Edexcel), as they don't have them for free online. When you need the exam papers for OCR and/or Edexcel, tell me, I will find it for you.

The workload will be a lot if you do 4 A-levels next year. I would recommend dropping one and doing 3 A-levels. Most universities want 3 A-levels for entry.

ReputationRep:
    Aright thanks .... man... well.. ur right bout .. to wait for the result day to decide .. what to drop.. but .. the problem.. that im facing is something like this...I really like and i do well in Bio and chem.. so i will def not drop them.. the choice i have is between Math and physics.. and the universities.. i will apply.. here require Physics more than Math.. i cant drop physics.. when it comes to .. dropping math.. i really like math.. its interesting.. and i dun want to drop it.. im confused...
    and can u plz pass me the ISBN or.. websites.. of the books u specified...CGP .. phillip Alans........................... .................
    thanks.. again for replying... lookind forward...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usman_s)
    Aright thanks .... man... well.. ur right bout .. to wait for the result day to decide .. what to drop.. but .. the problem.. that im facing is something like this...I really like and i do well in Bio and chem.. so i will def not drop them.. the choice i have is between Math and physics.. and the universities.. i will apply.. here require Physics more than Math.. i cant drop physics.. when it comes to .. dropping math.. i really like math.. its interesting.. and i dun want to drop it.. im confused...
    and can u plz pass me the ISBN or.. websites.. of the books u specified...CGP .. phillip Alans........................... .................
    thanks.. again for replying... lookind forward...
    You're welcome.

Here are the books:

Biology - http://www.philipallan.co.uk/content.aspx?Page=SUB2: (look under the AS/A2 level sections)

Chemistry - http://www.philipallan.co.uk/content.aspx?Page=SUB4:

Maths - http://www.philipallan.co.uk/content.aspx?Page=SUB14:

Physics - http://www.philipallan.co.uk/content.aspx?Page=SUB17:

CGP biology - http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/bookdetail...w=true&c=BHR61

CGP maths - http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/booksearch...,299&level=130

Letts Maths - http://www.onestopeducation.co.uk/icat/posmaths

Letts Science subjects - http://www.onestopeducation.co.uk/icat/posscience

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't drop chemistry cos the A2 content is not hard... It just involves a lot of learning particularly organic equations. Maths a level is not too hard if you do the practice. I found M2 easier to do and understand than S1 but i scored 4 marks higher in S1 so not sure really.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the advice already given, I would think that you need to consider what you want to do at university. You say that the universities (and, I assume courses) require/prefer physics. If so, then I would think that they may well like/require maths as well. The two go together very well. I would think that you will actually need maths if you wish to continue with a physics based subject beyond A level eg some form of engineering?

Good luck with your choice.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for those links Trev. well ive jus decided to do all 4.. then later on when i feel after sometime.. that i cant handle.. i will drop that one.
    Well one more thing can n e one compare the phillip Alans, CGP books with the .. Collins and Make the grade books..though the chemistry author is the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usman_s)
    Hello everyone,

Well I hope this thread will be beneficial to all those students who just entered Yr 13. I just wanted to ask advices from the student who have already done A2 and are doing further studies.
    I have finished my AS and im predicting ....
    Biology A
    Math A
    Chemistry A
    Physics B

I actually wanted advice on the study tips, books to use and other things that u guys want to share as you'll mus have experienced them...
    Advice on :
    * Study tips
    *Dropping a subject
    *Study guides.. collin and "Make the Grade" for bio chem and phy are good enough .. or do I need other resources
    *Any special studyguide? or books
    *Choice between M2 or S1
    *Any link u'll can pass concerning solomon papers Answer schemes and n e thing else
    *advice on n e thng general.

Well i know this thread will be useful to all others hu will start their A2 year... So u can post advice on any other subject as well....
    I will be waiting for ur replys...
    I know u guys r always there.... to help and suggest....thanks
    i think as some people have said wait untill results day to decide to drop anything unless there is something you don't like

From my experience I had to do the most work for Chemistry and physics and maths were about the same, mainly because chemistry has a synoptic module which is so tough. For this I used the collins revision guides just to go over what i had already learned in class, you can get them from amazon
    (aqa) these are good as they are smaller than A4 and they tell you everything you need to know, they are written by the examiners and stick exactly to the syllabus so you get it all. For physcis (aqa b)i used 'success at aqa physics b' by oxford university press there are two books one for each year, these were given to us by our teacher and he uses them every year, so he thinkd they are good and so do I. Also i have done both m2 and s1 i found m2 linked alot with physics, circular motion and just genral newtons laws of motion, it was alot more fun that s1. But i got a better mark in S1 cos it is easier but less fun.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm.. thanks for all those advices..Well i jus wanted to ask u one question. Im doing Edexcel Chem bio math n phy.. I wanted to Collins guides.. for my A2.. but they dun issue for edexcel.. only AQA... would it be worth reading AQA guides even if im doing edexcel?

One more thing.. is n e one from Oman or Dubai can tell me .. where do i get these Collins books.. Phillip Alans and CGP books.. i cant find them in Oman...
    N e pakistanis... who can tell me.. if they get these books from pakistan...
    Do reply..
    ~usman

ReputationRep:
    * Study tips
    The obvious one is to work harder than you really need to if you want to achieve the same grades at A2 level.
    If the teachers at your school don't work people hard enough to secure A grades then it might be a good idea to just use lessons as introduction/revision and do some work at home.

Make notes from your books and as exams come closer start removing the stuff that you already know by heart. Rewriting notes in sciences helps you to remember facts. With maths however you shouldn't other with notes much, just do questions.

*Dropping a subject
    If you're motivated and haven't felt too pushed in your AS year then there's no real need to. While most universities generally make offers on 3 complete A-Levels and possibly plus the AS it's true that another a-level will distinguish you from other applicants.

From my experience the collins guides are excellent for biology and so probably will also be for other the other sciences. With maths you should get the syllabus specific module books.

*Choice between M2 or S1
    M2 if you liked M1 and didn't feel it was particuarly difficult. S1 if you hated M1 and so want to have a go at 'number bashing'.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm.. i started with S1.. its boring... but seems easy..... well can n e one answer my question......Im doing Edexcel Chem bio math n phy.. I wanted the Collins guides.. for my A2.. but they dun issue for edexcel.. only AQA... would it be worth reading AQA guides even if im doing edexcel?

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose m2 over s1 as i hate statistics....

S1 is supposed to be one of the easiest modules so it might be an idea to do it for that reason. But m2 is pretty good if you liked m1 and also do physics.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.