Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    following ramroffs thread, these 2 seem to wither be 3/4 or 8/9 so im wondering which people think r better, n why they think there better.... i mean i reaserched both of them and turned down ucl for warwick, but thats bout it, so vote on

ReputationRep:
    It depsnds on the degree you wish to study really, for example, i want to do law so UCL is by far the best for me, but I would say that generally Warwick have a slight edge on most degree course, but the ones that UCL do do better, they do significantly better.

ReputationRep:
    Economics- UCL (but close between the two)
    Law- UCL
    Medicine- UCL
    Computer Science- UCL
    Mathematics- UCL
    Physics- UCL
    Engineering (not sure)
    PPE- Warwick (had to let them win something, seeng as thought UCL doesnt do PPE lol)
    Politics- Warwick (UCL doesnt do Politics i dont think lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melbourne)
    Economics- UCL (but close between the two)
    Law- UCL
    Medicine- UCL
    Computer Science- UCL
    Mathematics- UCL
    Physics- UCL
    Engineering (not sure)
    PPE- Warwick (had to let them win something, seeng as thought UCL doesnt do PPE lol)
    Politics- Warwick (UCL doesnt do Politics i dont think lol)
    I'm assuming this is all your own opinion...and I suspect you've favoured UCL so much because you're choosing between UCL and City....

IMHO:

Maths- the fact that you've put UCL, shows you have NO idea what you're talking about. Warwick is generally thought of as second only to cambridge when it comes to maths. Their maths department really is supposed to be amazing.

Computer Science in particular is much stronger at Warwick than UCL...Warwick I feel has a much more established Comp Sci dept....

Economics, well although UCL asks for AAA, and Warwick AAB, I've always felt Econ at Warwick was slightly better...I think this is to do with Warwick's great business school influencing me perhaps. However, generally Warwick does have quite a strong rep for social sciences (again this might be from the good business school, and though I don't know how the faculties are structured, I wouldn't be surprised if the biz school influenced other social science subjects).

Law and Medicine I agree UCL win.

For Physics and Engineering...not sure about this one.

Overall, I feel UCL is very strong in humanities (and other random things e.g medicine) ...whereas Warwick is very strong for social sciences and maths.

edit: That's for individual subjects though. For some reason UCL is thought of as slightly stronger than Warwick by the general public, when considering reputation as a whole. In my opinion, niether one is greater, it's more dependant on the subject and I think the reason why the most think UCL is a little better is because UCL is MUCH MUCH older than warwick, and therefore more established in that sense. Also it could stem from the G5 group thing, and the fact that UCL is part of UoL perhaps(?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    I'm assuming this is all your own opinion...and I suspect you've favoured UCL so much because you're choosing between UCL and City....

IMHO:

Maths- the fact that you've put UCL, shows you have NO idea what you're talking about. Warwick is generally thought of as second only to cambridge when it comes to maths. Their maths department really is supposed to be amazing.

Computer Science in particular is much stronger at Warwick than UCL...Warwick I feel has a much more established Comp Sci dept....

Economics, well although UCL asks for AAA, and Warwick AAB, I've always felt Econ at Warwick was slightly better...I think this is to do with Warwick's great business school influencing me perhaps. However, generally Warwick does have quite a strong rep for social sciences (again this might be from the good business school, and though I don't know how the faculties are structured, I wouldn't be surprised if the biz school influenced other social science subjects).

Overall, I feel UCL is very strong in humanities (and other random things e.g medicine) ...whereas Warwick is very strong for social sciences and maths.

edit: That's for individual subjects though. For some reason UCL is thought of as slightly stronger than Warwick by the general public, when considering reputation as a whole. In my opinion, niether one is greater, it's more dependant on the subject and I think the reason why the most think UCL is a little better is because UCL is MUCH MUCH older than warwick, and therefore more established in that sense. Also it could stem from the G5 group thing, and the fact that UCL is part of UoL perhaps(?)
    Agree with that except economics...ucl has better links with companies that recruit people with L100 degrees. I know people at both unis doing economics and overall i heard that ucl has better teaching qualities => more of a chance to get a 1st.

Depends on subjects really, overall more subjects favour ucl imo.

ReputationRep:
    For medicine the courses are completely different. UCL is a 5yr course aimed primarily at undergraduates and Warwick is a 4yr graduate only medical course aimed at people with first degrees in some sort of biological science.

ReputationRep:

IMHO:

No i went by this

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/good...05/20maths.pdf

and this

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/good...2005/20law.pdf

and this

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/good...20medicine.pdf

and this

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/good...0computing.pdf

Looks like i was wrong about Physics, Economics and Engineering though

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of people respect UCL because not only are they're departments pretty good, they possibly teach the widest range of subjects- even more than oxbridge. Yet they dont let the quality go downhill- is that fair to say?

ReputationRep:
    Btw, we're talking about how good it is for getting IB jobs, not the course itself. Warwick's econ is at least on par with UCL's in that respect. I remember Jools saying that there were far more Warwick graduates in IBs than UCL.

ReputationRep:
    physics i would go warwick

ReputationRep:
    No i went by this

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/good...05/20maths.pdf

and this

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/good...2005/20law.pdf

and this

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/good...20medicine.pdf

and this

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/good...0computing.pdf

Looks like i was wrong about Physics, Economics and Engineering though
    Only a naive fool would base his/her choice on the EXACT position of the times rankings lol. The rankings are only an indicator of the vicinity in which a university lies, not their exact position as they fluctuate too much for this.

ReputationRep:
    Only a naive fool would base his/her choice on the EXACT position of the times rankings lol. The rankings are only an indicator of the vicinity in which a university lies, not their exact position as they fluctuate too much for this.
    Im sure you wasnt implying im a fool lol

ReputationRep:
    To be honest you are never going to get turned down for your choice of university if you went to either UCL or Warwick and I would have thought that any decision would be made upon who had a) the better degree result or perhaps more importantly b) who made the most of their time at uni regarding societies and extra curic stuff - how will you fare with both a) and b) are going to be largely dependent on where you enjoy your time the most, my advice to everyone deciding between 2-3 very good unis is to: decide where you wanna be for 3 years and then go there.

ReputationRep:
    Bosslady, Are you a complete loser? You dont need to neg rep people simply because you slightly disagree with what they say. Am i not allowed a choice? You say that im not in a potion to say yet you aren't at UCL or Warwick either (Imperial), how hypocritical is that??

This shows that you have a personality that cannot listen to what others have to say and you are very ignorant. I admitted when i believed i was wrong, shame you cant.............

ReputationRep:
    Bosslady, Are you a complete loser? You dont need to neg rep people simply because you slightly disagree with what they say. Am i not allowed a choice? You say that im not in a potion to say yet you aren't at UCL or Warwick either (Imperial), how hypocritical is that??

This shows that you have a personality that cannot listen to what others have to say and you are very ignorant. I admitted when i believed i was wrong, shame you cant.............
    Get over yourself dear. The neg rep tool is there to be used when you feel someone is spouting crap (as in your case). Seems like I'm not the only one who thinks this, judging by the amount of neg rep you have at the moment.

And seeing as you seem quite stupid, I'll make it even clearer as to why I was neg repping you...your opinion basically had very little basing apart from a quick browse in the times university guide. If you're going to help people, try not to give them such skewed advice, it's better to just not say a thing. I never suggested you had to be at either university in question to have an opinion (stop making things up, otherwise you're just highlighting your stupidity even more).

Ah yes and one more thing, I'm not actually wrong, so why would I "admit" I am? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Get over yourself dear. The neg rep tool is there to be used when you feel someone is spouting crap (as in your case). Seems like I'm not the only one who thinks this, judging by the amount of neg rep you have at the moment.

And seeing as you seem quite stupid, I'll make it even clearer as to why I was neg repping you...your opinion basically had very little basing apart from a quick browse in the times university guide. If you're going to help people, try not to give them such skewed advice, it's better to just not say a thing. I never suggested you had to be at either university in question to have an opinion (stop making things up, otherwise you're just highlighting your stupidity even more).

Ah yes and one more thing, I'm not actually wrong, so why would I "admit" I am? :rolleyes:
    How was i wrong, i stated something, backed up with evidence and then admitted what i had got wrong.

As for my neg rep- i cant stand islam and the labour party (funny how the two get along) and im not afraid to tell that to people!

ReputationRep:
    Calm Down Ladies. This forum is here to give advice from everyone, so lets put the neg rep buttons away...

ReputationRep:
    Yes you are, you've got in a stroppy mood over nothing! What the hell are those tables complied for, if not to be looked at?

I bet you are one of those seriously depressing, boring, moody losers who people cant stand in life! You really sound it! All your posts in this thread have a moaning droan to them! As well as in other threads where iv just been told that you sound like a man. No wonder you fit into imperial so well!

ReputationRep:
    Yes you are, you've got in a stroppy mood over nothing! What the hell are those tables complied for, if not to be looked at?

I bet you are one of those seriously depressing, boring, moody losers who people cant stand in life! You really sound it! All your posts in this thread have a moaning droan to them! As well as in other threads where iv just been told that you sound like a man. No wonder you fit into imperial so well!
    lol, are those supposed to be insults? cuz they're pathetic. Now perhaps you want to grow up and stop acting about 9 years old. This is a place where people debate, and yes neg rep also, if you can't handle that and are so offended by the neg rep, you might want to switch the computer off. I wouldn't like to know how you handle real life. Though to be fair, you probably don't socially interact with people by the sounds of it.

Ah yes, and you were the one getting "stroppy" over the negative rep, dear. Someone has a short memory eh?

Edit: Now can we get back to the topic in hand, or are you going to carry on acting like a spoilt brat?

ReputationRep:
    I think Warwick is ace for engineering. I'd put them on an even footing, though some guy at Warwick did speak out against MBAs a couple of years back, I don't know if this shows a lack of enterprise culture?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.