Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, im fairly new to TSR but find it exciting it also has helped me with revision etc.
    I am a fairly bright student studying As and have just recently finished my exams - My predicted Grades
    Accounting B/C
    Maths B/C
    English C
    Business Studies A

However i am very concerned about my handwriting even though i found all the papers fairly easy and i felt that i have done very well and can exceed my predicted grades. The fact that im worried that the examiners wont be able to read my writing speciall with English and Business as i ended up writing 16pages. I have to admit my handwriting is terrible.
    The question is how are the papers marked, i was told that they are scanned by computer, but this honestly sounds fake, what if the examiner cant read my writing, will my work be passed on to another examiner or scraped.
    Is their anyone else that is concerned aswell.
    Thanks for you help

ReputationRep:
    Ditto. I write like a demented octopus when taking an exam.

Last week I had 3 in a row - philosophy 1,2 &3, halfway through the last exam I realised that I had no memory of the last 5 miniutes, I looked at what I had been writing and it was almost a scribble. I think we have to hope for a patient marker.

ReputationRep:
    Well, my friend's writing is truly terrible, and he gets extra time in humanity exams, just like those with dyslexia do. It's so not fair because he's so intelligent too. To get extra time though, the school has to deem it bad enough to write to the exam board for 25% extra time.
    I know in some exams, they give SPAG marks - spelling, punctuation, accuracy and grammar, which encompasses handwriting. I think this is only an OCR thing - I have it in Classics.
    And although it sounds awful, if they can't read it, it just wont be read. They'll skip over it and go to the next legible sentence. Of course, examiners aren't totally evil and so will try their damnedest to read it. Plus, when you consider that everyone is in the same position, writing for 2 hours, give or take, most people's handwriting deteriorates and so not only are you probably the same, but the examiners will be used to reading scrawl.
    Just look at doctor's handwriting - they're infamous for straight A's and scrawling and it hasn't stopped their success, so don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it! my writing is awful but no examiner has had a problem with it yet! touch wood....in saying that my economics and business paper has the worst writing on it yet, I hope they can read it *fingers crossed*

ReputationRep:
    The examiners would try to read your handwriting. If you have bad handwriting, you could talk to the examinations officer about that issue. Perhaps he/she can let you type up the answers for the exam. My friend's handwriting is bad, and the teacher told the examinations officer that he could type up the answers for his exam instead of writing it.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know markers have an obligation to make every effort to read what you have wrote.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the post guys, Feel much better now.
    Now all we can do is wait and see

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, they have been marking exams for years and are used to reading difficult handwriting. And the computer thing is nonsense! :p: It's all done byt humans! :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by feefifofum)
    Don't worry about it, they have been marking exams for years and are used to reading difficult handwriting. And the computer thing is nonsense! :p: It's all done byt humans! :p:
    Nope, some papers are scanned! That's why you're not supposed to write outside the margins and have to write in blue or black.

ReputationRep:
    My friend gets extra time doe to his appalling handwriting.

A little story:

My friend, let's call him Yann, (not that that's his name - but ya know) and he has teeny tiny handwrting. Yann takes History and in one of his AS modules he received a U! Yann is a good student so the school requested that a copy be sent back to them it was concluded that the examiner could not read Yann's teeny tiny writing so he retook the exam this year and focused on keeping his handwriting legible. He got 88/90. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Nope, some papers are scanned! That's why you're not supposed to write outside the margins and have to write in blue or black.
    How could computers scan someone's handwriting that is not clear? Would they mark it wrong? Would it be marked by humans again after scanning as a double check?

Which exam boards have their papers scanned?

I only know that multiple choice exams get scanned (e.g. level 2 communication key skills).

ReputationRep:
    it's scanned into a computer and then emailed to examiners, the computer doesn't try to read the paper!

i'm assuming it's done that way so that the papers can get moved around and marked quicker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlytabitha)
    it's scanned into a computer and then emailed to examiners, the computer doesn't try to read the paper!

i'm assuming it's done that way so that the papers can get moved around and marked quicker
    That's good then. :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by carlytabitha)

But if it's unclear/written on tippex etc then it might not be able to be read after being scanned

ReputationRep:
    I have heard from a seniorish examiner that they plan to scan all the papers onto a network so they can be accessed by examiners at a computer anywhere without mountains of work. ie they are being scanned but its still a human recognising ure handwriting not a bot, so you should be fine. However, I know some1 last year who had ****e handwriting and they refused to mark his papers, but the school got them remarked and it was all ok. Fingers crossed for u.

ReputationRep:
    omg, that above post has just scared me

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry as I suppose the examiners have had much experience in reading different types of handwriting and hopefully they should be experts in reading scribbles! *touches wood*

I hope that this is the case, since many people complain my handwriting is hard to read since it "flows" together too much. (I can't really describe it so you will have to imagine it lol)

Stefan

ReputationRep:
    Someone in my school got Us for their ASs because the examiners couldn't read thier handwriting. It was bloody awful though.

ReputationRep:
    just to let you know many boards do scan papers now. My psychology teacher is a marker for Edexcel and the papers get scanned, hence why you have to write with blue or black ink and within the border. This way it prevents papers having to be moved about and less chance of them being lost.

so you must makesure that you keep within the lines!

ReputationRep:
    edexcel have started to scan them, none of the other boards have started, I dont think.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.