Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what about equations? do we have to learn them all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zee German)
    for those of you who were confused by the pre release. this is for OCR PHYSICS B (ADVANCING PHYSICS) Unit 6 Synoptic, NOT EDEXCEL OR AQA
    Thank you for clearing that up. Im edexcel - was a bit worried there for a moment that I had no idea what was going on.

Nice that you guys get a pre-release.

<<< screwed totally for the synoptic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    not true!!!!

I have done plenty of questions on the electromagnetic spectrum in phy6 edexcel. So you need to know everything, questions i have done on the phy6 paper included questions from

phy1
    phy2
    phy4
    phy5

more likely to get phy4/phy5 questions.

You dont need to revise phy1/2 inside out though, you should already recall some of it and you probablly only need a quick recap and work on concepts and knowledge to answer the questions.
    what do u mean by questions on electromagnetic spectrum in phy6 , what type of questions :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HollyJa)
    1. Suggest why a geometric view would have seemed natural to early asronomers.
    2. Why did Ptoleny have to introduce complicated arrangements of circle of circle?
    3. What evidence is there for Copernicus heliocentre model?
    4. In what wat were neither Ptolemys nor Copernicus models based on sound physical foundations?
    Anyone know the answers to these ones, they're pretty tough! And they're not mentioned in the book either...

1. Suggest why a geometric view would have seemed natural to early asronomers.
    The heavens are perfect. Earth is centre of universe. Everything orbits around the Earth

2. Why did Ptolemy have to introduce complicated arrangements of circle of circle?
    To account for retrogade motion

3. What evidence is there for Copernicus heliocentre model?
    Sun spots-> Earth rotating around the Sun

4. In what way were neither Ptolemys nor Copernicus models based on sound physical foundations?
    umm....well, no one had actually visited the 'heavens'...not sure about this one :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagician)

To account for retrogade motion
    Sun spots-> Earth rotating around the Sun
    wot is retrogade motion and sun spots?

(Original post by amo1)
    wot is retrogade motion and sun spots?
    google it

ReputationRep:
    I went through the pre-release and wrote down areas that I thought might come up rather than specific questions. I don't have the text book with me right now so it might not all be perfect, but you get the idea.

Models and Metaphors - water clocks, capacitors, flux paths (they only mention them briefly, there must be a reason for it), a question will probably be what does the kink in the pipe in the diagram represent.

Describing the Universe - retrograde motion, all the waffley bit at the start of the space chapter if you know what I mean by that.

Mathematical Modeling and Truimph of Mechanics - gravity in space, elliptical geometry (will probably have to use the equation they give you).

Atoms, Electrons and Nuclei - Rutherfords scattering experiment, electron scattering.

Mathematical Modelling with Computers - might be asked to find the orbit of the moon or a comet, what are the disadvantages of this sort of modeling.

Radioactive decay - just that chapter in general really!

Weather - I'm really not sure where they're going with this one.

I don't know why I am offering this information, I want the grade boundaries to be low!

(Original post by SammyD)

I don't know why I am offering this information, I want the grade boundaries to be low!
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    pre-release????

Whats this/where can i get it

ReputationRep:
    You should have been given it by your teachers, or you can get it from www.ocr.org.uk. It's also called the advance notice article, if you're just more used to that name.

It's an 8 page booklet containing an article about physics, two thirds of the exam questions will be based on it.

(Original post by sequence123)
    pre-release????

Whats this/where can i get it
    you are doing OCR B? and you didnt know about a prereleased?

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite worried for you, are you doing OCR B Advancing physics? The exam is on monday, get the information from the website if you need it, then go and slap your physics teacher.

It's quite nice to worry about someone else, I have been so worried about my own grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SammyD)
    I'm quite worried for you, are you doing OCR B Advancing physics? The exam is on monday, get the information from the website if you need it, then go and slap your physics teacher.

It's quite nice to worry about someone else, I have been so worried about my own grades.
    im on edexcel and even i know that!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah this is only for the ADVANCING PHYSICS OCR B. Dont come on here looking for questions that might be in Edexcel, AQA or even OCR A. We were given a pre released booklet to study and most of the questions in the paper are taken from this. So go elsewhere to discuss other exam boards as we need to keep this strictly on the things that may come out of that booklet.

If i can find it, my teachers compiled a list of things that could potentially be asked. I will put some of the main ones on.

to make it more clear:

PRE-RELEASED FOR OCR B SYNOPTIC PAPER ONLY...NOT OTHER EXAM BOARDS

ReputationRep:
    Can we get back to talking about the pre release then? I think I'm going to read the end of chapter summaries in the AS textbook just in case any of that stuff comes up. I know it's a waste of time really, if I get a question on it I still won't remember it, I'll just be able to say "Damn, I remember reading that, now what was it?" rather than "What? We never did that did we?".

Unfortunately we didn't go over the pre release at all in class so I can't offer much more to this thread, but if I have any ideas I'll post them.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone found that website yet?

ReputationRep:
    is there any other fourms on this wesite about this topic?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 28, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.