Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HollyJa)
    sorry, last few questions i promise!
    1. Suggest why spacial distribution is 11km?
    2.Estimate the number cells above rutland
    3.In what way is Ptolemys and Copernicus models not based on sound physical foundations?
    4.The sun lies at one focus of the ellipse, what lies at teh other focus? ( that has been bugging me so much!)

Thank you so so much!
    1. the met office model of the UK has a resolution that streches across 0.11° latitude and 0.11° longitude (i presume that is why anyway - donno if that makes sense?)
    2. 4

donno about the other two? i presume no. 4 is just nothing as the ellipse is due to the speed and direction of the travel of the planet, not that it is affected by another mass. (i presume anyway :s: )

ReputationRep:
    http://www.metoffice.com/research/nw...nal/index.html

ReputationRep:
    I don't know any of those lol.

Guesses...

Resolution of Weather Satellite

Cells?

Maybe the models weren't based on physical foundations as the centre of the epicentic circle was not the centre of gravity, but merely another circle to account for retrograde motion.

Not sure what lies at the other focus, didn't think anything does.

ReputationRep:
    sorry, last few questions i promise!
    1. Suggest why spacial distribution is 11km?
    3.In what way is Ptolemys and Copernicus models not based on sound physical foundations?
    4.The sun lies at one focus of the ellipse, what lies at teh other focus? ( that has been bugging me so much!)

Thank you so so much!
    according to my notes, the other focus is 'empty'

Their models were based on observations.

Thank you so so much!
    nothing. Just a property of ellipses.

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by HollyJa

This is an ambigous question. It could be 4 or 20 depending on how it is interpreted.

(Original post by thatsthebadger)
    Originally Posted by HollyJa

This is an ambigous question. It could be 4 or 20 depending on how it is interpreted.
    how could it be 4? please explain

ReputationRep:
    id have said "dozens"

ReputationRep:
    Think 20's correct though.

(Original post by JamieB)
    id have said "dozens"
    ohh...thats the thing I dont understand!.....why did they say dozens?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagician)
    how could it be 4? please explain
    if its taken by the 11km squares then it'd be 4 cos thats what the map shows. if you're talking about the layers of atmospheric cells then it'd be 20.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, this is crazy - I've the same set of questions as you two

(Original post by Ardent)
    Okay, this is crazy - I've the same set of questions as you two
    I have em too....alot of people do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagician)
    I have em too....alot of people do
    Meh, we weren't given them

But I'm working through some of the stuff that's been posted..

ReputationRep:
    If you got them off your teachers, its likely that they got them off the Advancing Physics Community, a collection of teachers where material is discussed and posted between them, im guessing your college or whatever is also a member.

ReputationRep:
    If you got them off your teachers, its likely that they got them off the Advancing Physics Community, a collection of teachers where material is discussed and posted between them, im guessing your college or whatever is also a member.
    Yes, I think we are. Bit late now anyway. My teacher did give us his ideas for questions, but they were far far harder than any of the stuff posted on here. I think he just wanted to get us thinking about the concepts that could be brought up as opposed to actual questions..

Hehe, we asked him the other day if any of the really tough questions he'd given us would come up and someone said "I hope we don't get lots of questions this hard" and he smiled and said "yes, you'd be screwed". Which just filled us with confidence :p:

hah...its all underground, i see.

ReputationRep:
    These are for all the people who didnt go those set of questions....thought i would post some more for you since everybody has been so great and helped me with my questions. These should hopefully get you thinking a bit more, and hopefully help you out with the real thing.

1.Thomson produced electrons by thermionic emission. What is this?
    2. Outline how electric field/and or magnetic filds could be used to ding a value of tge specific charge of the electron.
    3.What is radioactivity?Why does it occur?
    4.Draw illustare alpha particle paths for the Geiger Marsden Rutherford experiment.
    5. If the alpha particle has an initial kinectic energy of 5eV, calculate the distance of closest approach, and therefore estimate the size of the nucleus.
    6.Compare the electrostatic force and the gravitational force on an elctron orbiting a hydrogen approach, and therefore estimate the size of the nucleus.
    7.What role do neutrons play in the stabilty of the nucleus.

Most of the answers you can search for on the internet.
    Thanks everyone for helping me with all my questions. Good luck!

Just gotta clear this up for me:
    5. If the alpha particle has an initial kinectic energy of 5eV, calculate the distance of closest approach, and therefore estimate the size of the nucleus.
    5*10^6=2*79*1.6*10^-19*k/d
    d = whatever... so by how much will the nucleus be smaller than this? And is this value for d between the centre of the nucleus to the point of closest approach?

6.Compare the electrostatic force and the gravitational force on an elctron orbiting a hydrogen approach, and therefore estimate the size of the nucleus.
    The gravitational force is TINY! is that supposed to be so?

(Original post by meamoto)
    does anyone know what the grade boundaries are. I'm doing edexcel synoptic.

no.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 28, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.