Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is the OCR synoptic. There's an edexcel thread somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    i just had a flash of inspiration, if any of you are still online.

You can use models to find the critical density of trees to catch fire (chp 10)
    They might ask about using them to find the critical mass for a nuclear reaction to become self sustaining (chp 18).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SammyD)
    i just had a flash of inspiration, if any of you are still online.

You can use models to find the critical density of trees to catch fire (chp 10)
    They might ask about using them to find the critical mass for a nuclear reaction to become self sustaining (chp 18).
    which part of the article would that be related to btw? i'm a little lost? :confused: sorry :s:

ReputationRep:
    I've not got the article with me but I know that the whole thing is about modelling, and they mention radioactive decay. It just seemed like a subtle link between the two, most people will probably be expecting decay constants and they do like to catch you out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SammyD)
    I've not got the article with me but I know that the whole thing is about modelling, and they mention radioactive decay. It just seemed like a subtle link between the two, most people will probably be expecting decay constants and they do like to catch you out.
    oh ok, i see where you're coming from now thankyou :p: sorry its a bit too late now for me to think straight :s: must sleep
    night night all and good luck :ciao:

I suppose. !

ReputationRep:
    I have done a few past papers on this, and the score I get fluctuates like crazy, from 90% down to 50%. Although I hate to admit it, luck plays a part in this exam.

Martin

(Original post by pumpkinstein)
    I have done a few past papers on this, and the score I get fluctuates like crazy, from 90% down to 50%. Although I hate to admit it, luck plays a part in this exam.

Martin

but do you actually need to read the pre-released inorder to answer all the questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagician)
    but do you actually need to read the pre-released inorder to answer all the questions?

No, not really. you should be able to answer the questions without ever having seen the pre.

the original idea of this was that they give you a scientific article, something like new scientist, scientific american, etc. and you were supposed to understand this article and work things out (nb much like Pure III/Core III)

now the pre is jus a kind of prompt as to what they can ask you n looking at the article i could really be anything as everything is mentioned somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    anyone know where i can get the pre release booklet?? ive just realized that i lost mine and cant find it on the ocr site!

ReputationRep:
    "What flows in a magnetic circuit? What is the analogue of the pump that generates its flow?"

I'm a bit stuck with the second part of this one.. anyone got any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toad)
    anyone know where i can get the pre release booklet?? ive just realized that i lost mine and cant find it on the ocr site!
    Eep, no I don't know I'm sorry.. OCR have a habit of not putting their stuff up on the web.. You'll get a fresh copy in your exam though, but I guess you want to read through it now to prepare a bit?

ReputationRep:
    yeh. balls. should have thought ahead really. oh well.

(Original post by spin)
    "What flows in a magnetic circuit? What is the analogue of the pump that generates its flow?"

I'm a bit stuck with the second part of this one.. anyone got any ideas?
    nothing flows in the magnetic circuit.I suppose the analogue would be the coil of wire wound around the magnet.

ReputationRep:
    nothing flows in the magnetic circuit.I suppose the analogue would be the coil of wire wound around the magnet.
    Oh, well if we're talking electromagnets then that's fine. The coiled wire generates the flux, so it's like the battery / pump / whatever! But with just a magnet I guess there is no pump.

And I suppose the only thing that flows is flux? Which means flow.. *slaps self*.. so yeh, nothing actually flows, cheers

(Original post by spin)
    And I suppose the only thing that flows is flux? Which means flow.. *slaps self*.. so yeh, nothing actually flows, cheers

nooo flux doesnt flow .

okai, im off....good luck all!

ReputationRep:
    okai, im off....good luck all!
    gluck

ReputationRep:
    good luck guys. i dont think this exam will be too bad!

ReputationRep:
    I'm pleased for your optimism, Badger, but I don't share it =)
    I think only need about 60% for an A overall, but it depends on the weighting. I'm guessing this paper is weighted 110 UMS?

Martin

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 28, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.