Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    also for source A, i m wondering if i did it right. I put that source A can imply two things. Firstly it impplies how greatly the elderly appreciated the old age pensions and saw it a significant free gift. However it may also imply that old age pensions are ridiculous, because it is shown in kida satirical way, since the boy symbolizes the elf and therefore new year, suggesting that the poor did nothing but received these old age pensions. Then i linked to historical evidence, that some people thought that elderly will become more lazy and wont work, because they wont have to make any contributions. Is it right?

ReputationRep:
    what about the second from last, q5
    was a little stuck for what to say and rambled on a little
    what was the question asking again?

ReputationRep:
    i think it was about comparing 2 last sources. It asked something like why these sources give different views?

ReputationRep:
    didnt notice it was an elf
    just said that the cartoonist believed the old age pensions to be good as he called them a gift and they were all smiling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mullabc.02)
    didnt notice it was an elf
    just said that the cartoonist believed the old age pensions to be good as he called them a gift and they were all smiling
    He looked kinda like elf.lol. I knew this source well, because we analysed it in class.

ReputationRep:
    P.S. there is no way that source B is reliable really, because from our knowledge we know that poor are not to blame for the poverty.
    thank you, someone who agrees lol.

and as for source a, i added that it was a little kid with a little bag, which tells us that the pension is not much, but it's a start, it might not seem alot but it means a lot to the old couple. oh and using a little kid or even elf shows that it's almost like a blessing to the old people, bring them joy, dont ask why lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonscape)
    thank you, someone who agrees lol.

and as for source a, i added that it was a little kid with a little bag, which tells us that the pension is not much, but it's a start, it might not seem alot but it means a lot to the old couple. oh and using a little kid or even elf shows that it's almost like a blessing to the old people, bring them joy, dont ask why lol
    lol, this stuff is true.

ReputationRep:
    this is gonna sound stupid but for sum reason i started talking about how this little, what is obviously an elf, in source A was also dressed like what could be a little robin hood- so rambled on about taking from rich and giving to the poor. Also dyou think there was a finite answer to the 'compare sources b and c question (trustworthiness) coz alot of people seem to hav put different things and i suppose in a trustworthiness question, it is diffrerent for each individual who is writing about it because there were clearly things that made each source either trustworthy or untrustworthy and different people might trust different things more than others....if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazzinio)
    this is gonna sound stupid but for sum reason i started talking about how this little, what is obviously an elf, in source A was also dressed like what could be a little robin hood- so rambled on about taking from rich and giving to the poor. Also dyou think there was a finite answer to the 'compare sources b and c question (trustworthiness) coz alot of people seem to hav put different things and i suppose in a trustworthiness question, it is diffrerent for each individual who is writing about it because there were clearly things that made each source either trustworthy or untrustworthy and different people might trust different things more than others....if that makes sense.
    i think different points may get high marks, as long as it backed up by the facts and good explanation as well as interpretations. the robin hood bit is funny.lol. but may seem relevant, because to provide old age pensions, only the rich ones were taxed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    i think different points may get high marks, as long as it backed up by the facts and good explanation as well as interpretations. the robin hood bit is funny.lol. but may seem relevant, because to provide old age pensions, only the rich ones were taxed.
    yeh. i mean if u havnt studied tht before, it can be interpreted in numerous ways, and i thought it could possibly be....a mini robin hood. yeh when i wrote i was thinkin this is lookin a bit strange (because he was quite small), so i started goin onbout how if this is a child robin hood, maybe it is symbolizing the innocence in what he is doing- taking money from the rich and giving it to the poor is a nice thing to do. As outrageous a statement as it was, i think i may get marks for it. None of the questions were hugely challenging, but when u put a time limit in there, things got a bit rushed towards the end. i think that exam should have been 1h 45m like the medecine one, so then the examiners would not have to watch my writing skills deteriorate to ***** as i rush to finish

ReputationRep:
    talking of writing, i just couldn't read at all what i wrote in the last 5 mins, i honestly thought i'd probably set my paper on fire for writing soo fast, nothing made sense and some of my letters turned into russian alphabets, ah well

ReputationRep:
    when comparing source b and c i said that source c is more reliable but only in describing the poverty. However it doesnt refers to the cause of it, whereas source b does refer to the cause of it, but it says poor are the ones to be to blame for their own poverty. This completely contradicts the historical knowledge, since booth and rowntree found that poor are forced in these conditions by other factors, such as industrial revolution and etc. Both sources argue about different points. Source B and C also show some similarity because they both suggest that poverty is very extreme and source B even calls it 'disgrace'
    P.S. there is no way that source B is reliable really, because from our knowledge we know that poor are not to blame for the poverty
    I hate to break it to all these people, but source B did not say that it was the poor people's fault!!! It said some of the poor people were poor possibly due to their own failures. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but that is not blaming the poor, that is blaming possibly some of the poor!

Anyway, for Source A. I kind of said the opposite to what some people here are saying. I said that the couple in the picture were obviously aged over 70, were British citizens, and had lived in Britain for the past 20 years, earned less than £31 per year, and that they had worked to the maximum of their ability throughout life. I said I knew this because of my "background knowledge". I said I could also tell that the couple were impoverished by their dirty, ragged clothes and simple surroundings.

To be honest, I could see both an angle of support for the Old Age Pension Act, and one of against it. However, I didn't want to sit on the fence on the very first question so I went with 'for', I wanted to go back and put both sides of my argument but I didn't have time.

I said that the old people looked suprised at the pension, and happy, which reflected well on the Liberals; they were pleased at the pension. I then rambled about how it meant poor elders were free of dependancy for their last years, and how much it meant to them. I also said that the cartoon was supportive of the OAP Act, 1909, because it showed the OAP as quite big. To me, it looked as though the child was struggling to hold the bag up, which conveyed that it was heavier than it really is, and I said that the mere fact that the illustrator had chosen to have a child carrying the pension, made it appear bigger than it really was, and this exaggerating of its size was obviously a supportive notion. I said the cartoon generally exaggerated, as cartoons are often prone. For example, obviously a child didn't deliver the OAP to the elderly poor; they had to go and collect it. Um, I said that the kid had "1909" on his chest to represent the year the pension was first put into practice, although it was confirmed in 1908 - David Lloyd George's first budget, as Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Um, I said that the title; "New Year's Gift" conveyed that the Liberals were generous, kind etc, showed them in a positive light, so basically I said it was pro-OAP act.

However, I also wanted to show that it could be against the Liberals, and the pension. The "Gift" could insiniuate something for nothing, the becoming of a 'nanny state' (as the Conservatives used to say)...etc, but I didn't go for this angle. Oops.

ReputationRep:
    Question one wasn't a for/against Liberals question was it? If it was I've lost a lotta marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NSiky)
    Question one wasn't a for/against Liberals question was it? If it was I've lost a lotta marks.
    the question was, 'what is the message of the cartoon in source A?'

ReputationRep:
    no it was " wat does this message show u "

ReputationRep:
    im pretty sure it was 'what is the message...'

ReputationRep:
    It was "what is the message of this cartoon." I remember clearly. Don't argue with me puny ones, for I know all! Muahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it was "what is the message" as well, but what I'm trying to convey is that the message was either for/or against the OAP, 1909. No? Oh well, I've done crap on that paper, it'll drag my mark down no doubt!! Grr..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    I hate to break it to all these people, but source B did not say that it was the poor people's fault!!! It said some of the poor people were poor possibly due to their own failures. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but that is not blaming the poor, that is blaming possibly some of the poor!

Anyway, for Source A. I kind of said the opposite to what some people here are saying. I said that the couple in the picture were obviously aged over 70, were British citizens, and had lived in Britain for the past 20 years, earned less than £31 per year, and that they had worked to the maximum of their ability throughout life. I said I knew this because of my "background knowledge". I said I could also tell that the couple were impoverished by their dirty, ragged clothes and simple surroundings.

To be honest, I could see both an angle of support for the Old Age Pension Act, and one of against it. However, I didn't want to sit on the fence on the very first question so I went with 'for', I wanted to go back and put both sides of my argument but I didn't have time.

I said that the old people looked suprised at the pension, and happy, which reflected well on the Liberals; they were pleased at the pension. I then rambled about how it meant poor elders were free of dependancy for their last years, and how much it meant to them. I also said that the cartoon was supportive of the OAP Act, 1909, because it showed the OAP as quite big. To me, it looked as though the child was struggling to hold the bag up, which conveyed that it was heavier than it really is, and I said that the mere fact that the illustrator had chosen to have a child carrying the pension, made it appear bigger than it really was, and this exaggerating of its size was obviously a supportive notion. I said the cartoon generally exaggerated, as cartoons are often prone. For example, obviously a child didn't deliver the OAP to the elderly poor; they had to go and collect it. Um, I said that the kid had "1909" on his chest to represent the year the pension was first put into practice, although it was confirmed in 1908 - David Lloyd George's first budget, as Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Um, I said that the title; "New Year's Gift" conveyed that the Liberals were generous, kind etc, showed them in a positive light, so basically I said it was pro-OAP act.

However, I also wanted to show that it could be against the Liberals, and the pension. The "Gift" could insiniuate something for nothing, the becoming of a 'nanny state' (as the Conservatives used to say)...etc, but I didn't go for this angle. Oops.
    exactly, whereas source C was merely mocking the conditions of the british, and blamed the poor for the countries risk of falling back industraly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Yeah I think it was "what is the message" as well, but what I'm trying to convey is that the message was either for/or against the OAP, 1909. No? Oh well, I've done crap on that paper, it'll drag my mark down no doubt!! Grr..
    That paper wasnt too hard though, did you mention in source A that the boy with the OAP money in represented th young liberals at the time and their fresh ideas to give OAPs money.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.