Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it was "what is the message" as well, but what I'm trying to convey is that the message was either for/or against the OAP, 1909. No? Oh well, I've done crap on that paper, it'll drag my mark down no doubt!! Grr..

No, you're right! You had to make a judgement on whether it was for or against the OAP based on the cartoonist's take on things. The fact that it was a small "pixie" bringing a bag of money to some old people in a shack in patched up clothes tended to make me think the cartoonist was in favour of it. Also the fact that the first pensions were paid on the 1st January 1909, hence the "new year's gift". I'm sure you did great don't worry! I thought it wasn't too bad, I'm hoping for an A*, I got 100% in the c/w so hopefully... I had to cut short the last 9 mark Q though, so that I left myself enough time to do the 12 mark one. It was time pressure that brought my grade down, not lack of things to say! I wrote 9 pages in total but didn't get the chance to check any of it! Oh well. The advertisement was a bit weird. I just said that it couldn't be taken as a true representation of all children because this girl was obviously the daughter of very wealthy people who fed and dressed her properly and gave her toys, whereas for the majority of children this was not the case etc etc lol
    I'm sure everyone did better than they thought. Hey, my history marks on practise Qs have ranged from A*s to Fs, so I don't have a clue what I'll get!

ReputationRep:
    the thing about the kid in source A tho is that he could have represented so many things to do with the liberal reforms and the government, so any valid interpretations of it that link to the message of the cartoon should be accepted, i hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazzinio)
    the thing about the kid in source A tho is that he could have represented so many things to do with the liberal reforms and the government, so any valid interpretations of it that link to the message of the cartoon should be accepted, i hope.
    Yeah, well you could have said he represented 1909, represented the young Liberals. Or you could even have said that the old are know relying on the younger generation to look after them.

ReputationRep:
    exactly, whereas source C was merely mocking the conditions of the british, and blamed the poor for the countries risk of falling back industraly
    im certain it blamed those peoples conditions on the government. source b blamed it on the poor themselves! but both shows that proverty was a situation and something had to be done. hmm.. i don't actually know what point im trying to make, can't remember the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonscape)
    im certain it blamed those peoples conditions on the government. source b blamed it on the poor themselves! but both shows that proverty was a situation and something had to be done. hmm.. i don't actually know what point im trying to make, can't remember the question
    B and C both state that to a certain extent its the poor people's fault that they're poor, but C is the worst making it all their fault, B seemed to make it obvious that the source writer knew it was the government fault but tried to dull it down a bit and stated possibly its sometimes their fault. Source B was mainly more trustworthy because of its source creator

ReputationRep:
    However this Commission who published source B comes from middle class and therefore dont like the idea of being taxed for national insurance they didnt need. perhaps they were trying to oppose the reforms and suggest that poor are the ones to blame. For me it seemed clearly that Source B suggested that poor are to blame for their own poverty.Hence not rly trustworthy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    However this Commission who published source B comes from middle class and therefore dont like the idea of being taxed for national insurance they didnt need. perhaps they were trying to oppose the reforms and suggest that poor are the ones to blame. For me it seemed clearly that Source B suggested that poor are to blame for their own poverty.Hence not rly trustworthy
    I know this is irrelevant to the exam but the middle - high classes mock the poor, when the higher class inherit most of their statley homes and money etc, whereas the poor worked their grubby socks off at coal mines etc. Sickening

Aaaanyway back the the point, yeah middle class did resent it and many opposed, house of lords also opposed which took power away from them to a certain extent.

ReputationRep:
    I found the questions easy but there was so much to write seemed longer than the first one lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arowe16)
    I found the questions easy but there was so much to write seemed longer than the first one lol
    I promised myself i'd leave enough time (20 mins or so) to do last question worth 12 marks, only got 10 :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got about 15 minutes; not time to check! I'm glad you agree about the "to a certain extent" thing for sources B and C. It's kind of annoying me now that people keep going on about how source B blatantly said it was the poor people's fault. How is possibly at the hands of their own failures, properly blaming them? Possible...Possible....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    Yeah I got about 15 minutes; not time to check! I'm glad you agree about the "to a certain extent" thing for sources B and C. It's kind of annoying me now that people keep going on about how source B blatantly said it was the poor people's fault. How is possibly at the hands of their own failures, properly blaming them? Possible...Possible....
    ja, you could also argue that source B wasnt really sure who was too blame, maybe the source writer thought better say possibly its the porpers fault rather than the government. I mean it's either the porpers' fault or the governments, that fact that the source didnt seem sure of what they were really arguing made me think, still chose B over C as the source writier was American and mocked us

ReputationRep:
    well people view 'possible' differently, i said it meant that the majority report had no real evidence in saying the poors were poor cos of there own fault, therefore they can only say possible, proving it's unreliability. but both the majority and minority report supported the reform because britain needed a strong workforce and army, but only the minority report realized the moral responsibility aswell where the other thought it as a burdern..but thats straying away from the topic lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonscape)
    well people view 'possible' differently, i said it meant that the majority report had no real evidence in saying the poors were poor cos of there own fault, therefore they can only say possible, proving it's unreliability. but both the majority and minority report supported the reform because britain needed a strong workforce and army, but only the minority report realized the moral responsibility aswell where the other thought it as a burdern..but thats straying away from the topic lol
    It annoyed me because i knew all the facts to argue why it wasnt the poors' fault but there was nothing to suggest anything in the source. All you could say was, that booth and rowntree proved wrong, but that could only be as a side comment, all you could mention was the tone, source writer, the fact in B especially they were unsure about the point they were making and C created nothing more than an observation with no reasoning behind it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.