Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    It said to the nearest µm, didn't it?
    :eek:
    £$&hd%&a£da&%HG!!!!!
    Well, I may be the only one but I found the exam a devil of a paper and don't think I can get even 50%. Hope my coursework mark can boost it up... :afraid: what sort of marks should we be getting if one has good coursework marks and in want of an A?

ReputationRep:
    You had to rearrange the equation for calculating magnification, so it was size of image / maginifcation.

ReputationRep:
    89 raw marks got 96/120 UMS last year.

ReputationRep:
    What was the paper out of?

ReputationRep:
    60 raw marks and 60 UMS too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Sian-)
    89 raw marks got 96/120 UMS last year.
    Oh dear...
    96/120 is great then

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys all know your coursework mark? I don't, but I'm guessing it was 42/60 (not brilliant, I know) as that was the rough mark my teacher told me but last year some got moderated down..

ReputationRep:
    Soo.. does anyone want to analyse this paper question by question?

ReputationRep:
    Not really, I'm too scared I'll find out I put all the wrong answers!

ReputationRep:
    I thought Central Concepts was ok, but that Unifying Concepts was hard and weird. What the hell are you supposed to put for 'explain why food chains are essential to the stability of an ecosystem?' or whatever that question was? I got 2.3 but forgot to round it too, argh!

Coupled with my crappy practical exam I think I can expect to do shockingly in that module. Unifying concepts isnt about knowing the biology, its about answering how the examiners want you to answer and deciphering the questions, which isn't the way that it should be. Hopefully I can get reasonable As in Mam phs and CC for an overall A...

ReputationRep:
    lol mine went so bad! iv never seen a harder paper - i started writin about active transport for the glycoprotein bit. i put 41000 µm lol erm the rest of the paper was even worse - i think i did ok on central tho

ReputationRep:
    i hated uc, i couldnt get half the question and i didnt the the dna and non coding base question that was pure evil

ReputationRep:
    I think it went ok but im not sure if I wrote what the examiners want. For the last question about phosphate ions did you have to write about eutriphicication? I though it was just nitrates that caused it but now im not sure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffee)
    I thought Central Concepts was ok, but that Unifying Concepts was hard and weird. What the hell are you supposed to put for 'explain why food chains are essential to the stability of an ecosystem?' or whatever that question was?

Unifying concepts isnt about knowing the biology, its about answering how the examiners want you to answer and deciphering the questions, which isn't the way that it should be. Hopefully I can get reasonable As in Mam phs and CC for an overall A...
    Yeh, it's soo, soo annoying.
    Hope you do get your A
    I need a very high mark on Friday to get an A now! But I've always been a "B" student anyway, lol.
    On the ecosystems question i just wrote a load of crap, as I did for most questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meeesch)
    I think it went ok but im not sure if I wrote what the examiners want. For the last question about phosphate ions did you have to write about eutriphicication? I though it was just nitrates that caused it but now im not sure!
    I hope excess phosphates also cause eutrophication, 'cause that's what I wrote about. Hope it's right!

ReputationRep:
    i think i did ok in that paper
    thank god u put 2.25 or 2.3
    some people measured the golgi the other way and got 0.3 (as in not between p and q)...silly rabbits

but yea it wasnt too bad, on the secretion question i went mad and started saying the secretion might also be caused by ato closing k+ channels and aas a result ca2+ flood in and push out vesicles full of the glycoproteins

but a lot of poepl found ti a bit hard so hopefully itll go up, which means even more marks for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Sian-)
    I hope excess phosphates also cause eutrophication, 'cause that's what I wrote about. Hope it's right!
    thats pretty much what i said

ReputationRep:
    same. i wrote about eutrophication and BOD.

ReputationRep:
    heh i got stuck on the easiest question, at the end where it asked what else has a phosphate after a couple minutes i wrote phospholipids in membrane, then i thought that was crap crossd it out n write phophocreatine, then i jus realised theres ATP!

i did that exam in 45 mins though :s madness

ReputationRep:
    ohh yeah i cant believe there was no kidney or mieosis!!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.