Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amoeba)
    in CC on the first Q in what letter did decarboxylation occur.. the mitochondria Qs... i wasnt too sure abt that . and was "T" a ribosome.. tho they dint really ask for that.

also what did we hafta write abt for the 7 mark Qs on nerve impulses.. did it have anything to do with the voltage gate, Na+ K+, depolarisation etc ???

or was it to do with the nodes/ schwann cells... etc ... i was quite lost on that Qs .. dint know what exactly they wantd
    I put letter S for decarboxylation. For the nerve impulses question, I also wasn't quite sure what they were after. I ended up writing about how receptor potentials, action potentials and then about saltatory conduction in myelinated axons, conduction in non-myelinated axons and conduction in thick axons. I just wrote everything, pretty much, because I didn't know what they wanted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternal Fantasy)
    Yeah, I also thought this. Phosphates are needed for the nucleotides, whether the DNA is useful or not, so surely it was a positive correlation for the graph?
    That's what I thought at first...but it was 'percentage of DNA that was junk' on the y axis, wasn't it? So doesn't this mean that it wouldn't be positive correlation? At first I was just tempted to put a horizontal line then I put negative correlation because I thought that less RNA would have to be synthesised if more was junk. I'm probably wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I put letter S for decarboxylation. For the nerve impulses question, I also wasn't quite sure what they were after. I ended up writing about how receptor potentials, action potentials and then about saltatory conduction in myelinated axons, conduction in non-myelinated axons and conduction in thick axons. I just wrote everything, pretty much, because I didn't know what they wanted!
    even i put S.. i said pretty much the same things as u did for the nerve impulses Q.. but i dint write abt action potential and how they r generated !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffee)
    That's what I thought at first...but it was 'percentage of DNA that was junk' on the y axis, wasn't it? So doesn't this mean that it wouldn't be positive correlation? At first I was just tempted to put a horizontal line then I put negative correlation because I thought that less RNA would have to be synthesised if less was junk. I'm probably wrong.
    I put negative correlation at first, then changed my mind! I'm not sure what the y-axis was labelled as, I can't really remember. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I think we're think about this too hard! I'm supposed to be concentrating on Chemistry now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nixta)
    what did everyone put for the qst just before the long essay qst on felling? It was a 1 MARK QST - sorry cnt remember it but it was summin about a mechanism or summin. My answer was succession.
    Any one else get that?
    Can't remember the question either but I put succession as well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mirwelsh87)
    Can't remember the question either but I put succession as well...
    I think it was something like "What ecological process were this biologist investigating..?" Or something like that anyway!

ReputationRep:
    where did s point to? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    The matrix.. I think.

ReputationRep:
    good good - thought decarboxylation occurred during link reaction which happens in the matrix.. just checking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violet)
    The matrix.. I think.
    Yeah, the matrix.

ReputationRep:
    Because the chromosomes in older animals have been replicated many times, so their telomeres are shorter.
    Everyone always complain that my teacher goes of on tangents but this time im happy, several months ago he told us all about telomeres and thats what he said the right answer was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violet)
    I think it was something like "What ecological process were this biologist investigating..?" Or something like that anyway!
    Thats the one! Was it succession?

ReputationRep:
    i think i put secondary succession

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrGouldie)
    i think i put secondary succession
    i put primary succession because they cleared the forest by burning or something didn't they?

ReputationRep:
    i think they just removed the trees... but they left the soil & allowed smaller plants to grow....so wldnt that b secondary succession ?.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffee)
    That's what I thought at first...but it was 'percentage of DNA that was junk' on the y axis, wasn't it? So doesn't this mean that it wouldn't be positive correlation? At first I was just tempted to put a horizontal line then I put negative correlation because I thought that less RNA would have to be synthesised if more was junk. I'm probably wrong.
    That was my thinking too. And it did say "minimum phosphate required for growth" or soemthing - ie I think we can assume that it can survive without the 'junk DNA'.

ReputationRep:
    I put for the junk DNA question that it is NOT junk because it protects against mutation. By this i mean that should there be a mutation having loooooads of the junk dna which codes for nothing means that the mutation will have no effect however if it was to occur in a part which codes for something eg for lactose permease in the lac operon then it would have a nasty effect. this being said that junk DNA reduces the probability of mutation occuring at an important part of the dna strand

ReputationRep:
    i sorta flopped it, hopefully i can sumhow force around 60% id be happy. Glad i got a good cwk mark 54/60 i think it was to make up for it. Stupid how like most the stuff on the paper was based on central concepts. What happend to the human health stuff, there was like nothin on that module. Readin the examiners report of jan 05 it states students find the ecology stuff hard and confusing and so left it out. And what do u kno, they decide to put it in for us :mad:

ReputationRep:
    what does everyone think the grade boundaries would be like for this paper?
    How much does the coursework contribute to the paper, is it half becuase i knows its out of 60 and so is the paper? Anyone know?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.