Turn on thread page Beta

biology aqa (b) mod 5 environment watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiya did anyone do the environment paper this morning? I just did it and although it was really hard it was also very strange! Not at all like the past papers! What did you think of it? x x

ReputationRep:
    yea i just did it, i found it quite hard but luckily i got some mmarks form xerophytes, nitrogen cycle and eutrophication. why did you find it strange

ReputationRep:
    that was pretty hard what u put 4 the corrot graph y is its shape like that? and what u put for what happens to energy in plants that fall to bottom of sea? also oxygen in respiration question?

u rekon thatwa a hard paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.S.D)
    that was pretty hard what u put 4 the corrot graph y is its shape like that? and what u put for what happens to energy in plants that fall to bottom of sea? also oxygen in respiration question?

u rekon thatwa a hard paper?
    I thought it was a good paper, although some questions were a little wierd. Like Question 1... what was all that about!!! :confused: anyone put intraspecific competion down!?! What was the explanation for the graph.

What did you put for the faeces question,

and what was put for substance X and Y in the nitrogen cycle question?

the question about what the limitation for line transects are what?!!??

And finally, what actaully was required for the 4 mark question on 'explain the effect of bettles on insects...' and for the last last question which was the prokaryotes and eukartyes one...

PLEASE PLEASE share with me what you put... it would really put my mind at rest. :eek: l

ReputationRep:
    for the subtsance questions i put glucose and ammonia! and all the others im not sure of like u lol. especially the faeces 1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nayanayan)
    I thought it was a good paper, although some questions were a little wierd. Like Question 1... what was all that about!!! :confused: anyone put intraspecific competion down!?! What was the explanation for the graph.

And finally, what actaully was required for the 4 mark question on 'explain the effect of bettles on insects...' and for the last last question which was the prokaryotes and eukartyes one...

PLEASE PLEASE share with me what you put... it would really put my mind at rest. :eek: l
    i agree, i want answers 2! lol well first of all i put down gluce and NO3- for X and Y. for transects i was confused lol put down doesnt show whats inbetween!?!? faeces question i put they get decomposed by sacrophytic bacteria. for beatle question i put allows them to eat pests on centre of crops as well the outer sides. for prokaryotes question i put, they have no nucleus, cell wall made of monosacharides and some contain plasmids loll

please help! what did u guys put??

ReputationRep:
    for the faeces 1 i was unsure u may be right but i put that the energy remains in feaces at bottom of sea as there is no oxygen therefore for mocroorganisms at botom of sea. i probs wrong but isnt that hoe oild is made lol? for transects i put there bad cos a mountain is unveven ground and therefore cant get straight line? what u rkon u have got? what u need to get in end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.S.D)
    for the faeces 1 i was unsure u may be right but i put that the energy remains in feaces at bottom of sea as there is no oxygen therefore for mocroorganisms at botom of sea. i probs wrong but isnt that hoe oild is made lol? for transects i put there bad cos a mountain is unveven ground and therefore cant get straight line? what u rkon u have got? what u need to get in end?

Uneven ground.... yeah.... i put that....!!!! at least ive prob got one mark!

I lloked at exam reports from previous years and you need like 42 / 61 to get A!!! 68% ish

ReputationRep:
    anyone put intraspecific competion down
    I put this one. For the feaces one I put that they can change into fossil fuels or be decomposed by anaerobic bacteria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nayanayan)

The graph showed that mass increased until there were too many plants in the same area - competition for light, nutrients, water etc
    X and Y were Ammonia and nitrates - quite sure
    Limitations - line transects may not pass through typical area - have to do random line transects and average results
    Effects of beetles on insects - natural selection
    For the water question effects on photo - I put can decrease it, because pollution and rubbish in water blocks plants photosynthesing - hence cant complete light dep reaction and so light indep too

This paper was GREAT compared with when I did it in January!

ReputationRep:
    i put glucose and nitrate for X and Y, fossil fuels and heat energy for decomposition, what was the answer for does photosynthesis increase or decrease in water?! xxx

ReputationRep:
    I put decrease is there is less ligh availble (some is reflected from water surface) and concentration of CO2 in water is smaler then in air. For X and Y I put down glucose (as I did not thought bacteria will respire on nitrate or other nitrogen compound and the whole purpose of their symbiosis with a plant is to get glucose)and ammonia (N2 + H2 could give ammonia but where oxygen would come from to give nitrate NO3?)

ReputationRep:
    u put decrease but didnt give a reason! i have no idea where nitrate came from, just kno mutualistic symbiosis provides plant with nitrate? did u do mod 4? x

ReputationRep:
    Isn't a decrease in light intensity affecting a light dependent stage and decrease in carbon dioxide affecting Kreb's cycle reactions a reson for decrease in rate of photosynthesis? I had a real dilemma between nitrate and ammonia so I am not telling ammonia is right just showing my way of thinking.

I did not do module 4 (got 89/90 first time round).

ReputationRep:
    C02 is involved in Light Indep

ReputationRep:
    I did some search in google and found that

Although some soil bacteria (e.g., Azotobacter) can fix nitrogen by themselves, rhizobia cannot. Clearly rhizobia and legumes are mutually dependent. What does each contribute to the process?

Isolated bacteroids contain all the metabolic machinery — including the enzyme nitrogenase — needed to fix nitrogen. Then why is the legume necessary? The legume is certainly helpful in that it supplies nutrients to the bacteroids with which they synthesize the large amounts of ATP needed to convert nitrogen (N2) into ammonia (NH3)
    Acording to that X and Y were glucose and ammonia. I did it wrong as I have put down ammonium ion NH4 +.

ReputationRep:
    Doesnt matter! It's done. Too late. Most of us wont be resiting unless we stay and do the yr again

ReputationRep:
    C02 is involved in Light Indep
    I was thinking about Celvin cycle = Light independent. Lucky I put it right on the peaper.

ReputationRep:
    Doesnt matter! It's done. Too late. Most of us wont be resiting unless we stay and do the yr again
    Very true. I am just finding a bit of post mortem discussion therapeutic lol. But I will shut up now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    I did some search in google and found that

Acording to that X and Y were glucose and ammonia. I did it wrong as I have put down ammonium ion NH4 +.
    It's not ammonia as a species of nitrifying bacteria are needed to convert ammonia to nitrite then nitrate and no such mechanism was shown on the diagram.

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.