Turn on thread page Beta

Middle Eastern Music watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else like Middle Eastern music? I practically only listen to Iranian and Turkish music, with some Arabic too. It's just so much more mystic and even provocative! And the dancing to it is much better!

ReputationRep:
    What artists do you listen to?

ReputationRep:
    Iranian - Black Cats, Afshin and Arash are my favourite Iranian artists, though I like Marzieh, Soosan and Leila Forouhar too.

Turkish - Tarkan (of course!), Mustafa Sandal and Doğuş are my favourite

Arabic - Amr Diab and Elissa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Iranian - Black Cats, Afshin and Arash are my favourite Iranian artists, though I like Marzieh, Soosan and Leila Forouhar too.

Turkish - Tarkan (of course!), Mustafa Sandal and Doğuş are my favourite

Arabic - Amr Diab and Elissa
    went to his concert in london once, flippin brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    Aww! I'd love to go to one! He's played in bodrum a couple of times while I've been in the area. Maybe I'll get the chance this summer.

ReputationRep:
    I love Mustafa Sandal's new album 'Isyankar.' The English song on it is also canny good.

Not overly impressed with Kamran and Hooman's new album though.

This is a GREAT site for buying and listening to samples of, Iranian (including Kurdish and some Azari,) Arabic, Turkish, Greek and Armenian music.

ReputationRep:
    i have to say that when i went out to a club in turkey it wasnt actually that bad, i was impressed i had such a good night!
    but ive never listened to turkish music since, but hey im open minded hehe

ReputationRep:
    i have to say that when i went out to a club in turkey it wasnt actually that bad, i was impressed i had such a good night!
    Cool! Whereabouts were you?

ReputationRep:
    u gotta listen to nancy agram
    her songs are pretty naff but are cute in a way and have a cool beat.

ReputationRep:
    Can you speak Arabic by the way?

Oh, I've hard a Persian version of Ah w Noss. She's really good! Perfect beats. One you can belly dance to after you've drawn the curtains :-)

ReputationRep:
    in my belly dance class we danced to this lebanese woman called fairouz (i think, no idea how its spelt), and she has the most gorgeous voice. i love tarkan too.

ReputationRep:
    Can you speak Arabic by the way?

Oh, I've hard a Persian version of Ah w Noss. She's really good! Perfect beats. One you can belly dance to after you've drawn the curtains :-)
    i try but my arabic aint perfect

ReputationRep:
    Like my Farsi lol! (In fact i's difficult to beat my badness at Farsi!)

in my belly dance class we danced to this lebanese woman called fairouz (i think, no idea how its spelt), and she has the most gorgeous voice. i love tarkan too.
    Cool! Lebanon probably produces the best Belly Dancers and singers in the Arab world!

But Iranian Bandari style music (from Khuzestan province in the south west near Iraq) is best for shoulder shaking !

ReputationRep:
    Cool! Lebanon probably produces the best Belly Dancers and singers in the Arab world!
    and the most beautiful people, everyone i have known who is of lebanese origin has been absolutely gorgeous!

ReputationRep:
    The best belly dancers and singers in the Arab world are produced in Egypt mate! Thats a fact.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the Lebanese would disagree! ;-)

Noura is good though!

ReputationRep:
    I love persian and turkish music(arabic too), i'm a turk-persian mixed! but i dont like most of the new persian song by los angelesy singers! they're doing the same pattern again and again, but there're some good singers like Shahram Shabpareh or Hooman and Kamran making interesting stuff...

ReputationRep:
    But Iranian Bandari style music (from Khuzestan province in the south west near Iraq) is best for shoulder shaking !
    Thats KURDISTAN!! (Western iran is kurdistan) Any music where you suddenly have an urge to shake your shoulders is for sure kurdish, lol :p:

Nancy ajram rocks!!! lol and definitely (as northumbrium says when u close the curtains and do some good ol' fashion belly dancing-woah u can work up a sweat lol ) for dancing!

Kamran and hooman (as seen on PMC!!lol) song called "seniorita" is cool, but thats about it. Don't really like turkish music, it sounds like military music to me, too harsh! (or maybe thats partly due to my opinion of the government :rolleyes: not sure)

The old arabic artists are the best by far...FAIRUZ, farid al atrache, mohammed abdel wahab...wow they have amazing voices. :eek:

Kurdish: the 1950's singer semal sayib is excellent, especially if you knew what he was saying ...you can hear this at http://www.ekurd.net/Music-Box/Default.asp

and ZAKARIA....very good!! www.zakariamusic.com (you can see the videos too :p: )

And oh my god, the kurdish singer "ismail kamandi" is amazing, he sings like a sufi, its mesmerising (hes from the iranian part of kurdistan)

and theres also "chopy" she's good too, she sings in kurdish and english... :cool: www.chopy.net

ReputationRep:
    SHOULDER SHAKING -> it's fun. i like it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdi_princess)
    Thats KURDISTAN!! (Western iran is kurdistan)
    don't flatter yourself. there's no such place as kurdistan

Don't really like turkish music, it sounds like military music to me, too harsh! (or maybe thats partly due to my opinion of the government :rolleyes: not sure)
    almost certainly due to that

Kurdish: the 1950's singer semal sayib is excellent, especially if you knew what he was saying
    Don't forget ibrahim tatlises

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.