marks and spencer interview! watch

ReputationRep:
    can you give me the website adress please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma05)
    can you give me the website adress please
    http://www2.marksandspencer.com/thec...ca_cloth.shtml

Click 'Apply now' and see if here are any jobs at your store

If you need the answers to the 30 Qs i have them!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by stinky101)
    [url]

If you need the answers to the 30 Qs i have them!
    I think that defeats the purpose of the questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    I think that defeats the purpose of the questions.
    I never even did an online questionnaire. It was all over the phone and then I went in for an actual interview.

Seems to have changed a lot since I applied.

ReputationRep:
    I work for M&S at the moment, if you need any help, shout

Adam

ReputationRep:
    Hi Adam, I only offered it because i was annoyed at having to wait 6 months the first time i applied!

What is it like working at M&S?

ReputationRep:
    I HATE M&S FOR THEIR STUPID INTERVIEWS :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry for the rant, but about 1 and a half years ago I was on my Gap Year and so decided to apply for M&S as I was working for Morrisons and wanted to go a bit more upmarket and earn more money!

Passed the stupid phone-questionnaire with ease (had worked for Morrisons for 2years, knew all the answers to the standard retailing questions)....and got invited to an interview. Now this was good, but for some reason they held the interviews in some office building in a random village about 20miles from my house, so had to leave my house about TWO HOURS before the interview to get a train into town then get a bus to the village!!

Anywho, finally got there, and there was 2 stages to the interview:
    1. Normal question & answer interview
    2. Role-playing

Did section 1 easily, was some nice guy who obviously liked my attitude and I answered the questions well.

Section 2, however, I was handed over to "Margret" who was about 55 and was that typical old snooty woman that you see working for M&S and who hate to see all the young people working there. She asked me to role play working in M&S, and she asked me stupid things like "Where are the pinstripe trousers that I saw in this months magazine?".....fair enough? I HAD APPLIED TO WORK ON THE FOODHALL SECTION!!

So I tried my best, but it was as though I had to know the procedure that M&S had for returns and all that. It was as though you were meant to know exactly how to work there before you'd got the job (maybe save on training their staff?).

So she was like "Sorry you're unsuccessful, you can apply again in 6 months if there are any vacancies. I'll show you out "

B**** :mad:

Then I had to get home from the random village

ReputationRep:
    lol i had my M&S interview 2 fridays ago, after doing that stupid online form. basically what happened is i had to write down examples of teamwork/individual scenarios you may or may not have faced (she helped me with those when i got stumped for an example ). Then i got shown flash cards where i had to spot problems (fire exit/extinguisher blocked, customer being ignored etc).

Finally (she hasnt had a chance to read my answers to the questions i just did in front of her, hasnt asked me any questions yet, and even today doesnt know anything about my education except i want to go to uni in sept), she finished it by asking my my shirt/trouser sizes, whether i could work on weekends, and if i could start next week ready for the Festival of the sea/Trafalgar 200 celebrations. They called me the same afternoon with my shifts
    She asked me to role play working in M&S, and she asked me stupid things like "Where are the pinstripe trousers that I saw in this months magazine?".....
    you were unlucky there dobbs, didn get ANYTHING like that. Really if its anything like my experience 2 weeks ago (i applied for a fulltime position in gunwharf outlet), you've already got the jobs. It wasnt an interview i went for, it was a pre-job chitchat with a standard questionairre. Go in, looking smart, appearing confident and itll bag you the job. If you get the flash card treatment, common sense will get you through it - person waiting at an empty till? no staff serving. box in front of a fire exit? then say the exits blocked! crap lying on the floor - then say it! The retail one will stump you - what stands out in these four pictures, all i could think of was colour! but she didnt care

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have my interview tomorrow! Any tips??

ReputationRep:
    How long did it take them to get back to you after you filled in that online form?

ReputationRep:
    a day...maybe two. ull get an email inviting u to an interview, followed by a letter telling you to bring along a passport-sized photo

ReputationRep:
    What stores are you all applying for?

ReputationRep:
    What should i wear?
    I'm thinking just black trousers and a black shirt. My mum said tie and everything but i said no!

ReputationRep:
    What should i wear?
    I'm thinking just black trousers and a black shirt. My mum said tie and everything but i said no!
    i wore a suit nd tie - u cant be too smart!

ReputationRep:
    would i feel silly going in wearing smart trousers and smart/casual shirt. would they expect me to weara suit?

ReputationRep:
    would i feel silly going in wearing smart trousers and smart/casual shirt. would they expect me to weara suit?
    all i can say is itll only work in ur favour going in a suit/tie. Personally, when i hear the words "job interview" i always wear a suit/tie. if urs goes like mine, you wont get many (if any) questions and therefore wont have many opportunities to sell urself verbally.

ReputationRep:
    one more qustion... Did you have a one on one interview and were there other interviewees at your time slot? my mums friend who works on tills in M&S says there will be others but the sheet i got said one on one.

It also says i will have a chance to have an informal chat with one of the 'team' what questions should i have lined up??

ReputationRep:
    one more qustion... Did you have a one on one interview and were there other interviewees at your time slot? my mums friend who works on tills in M&S says there will be others but the sheet i got said one on one.

It also says i will have a chance to have an informal chat with one of the 'team' what questions should i have lined up??
    try not to get too worked up/nervous about the interview....

If it goes like my interview for one of their Outlets, itll just be a one-on-one farily relaxed chat all the way through. I never saw anyone else, and the interviewer told me shed been doing one-on-ones all week. (read my earlier post for what happened during the interview - granted they were, and said, they were desperate for staff)

Questions - if ur off to uni u could ask if you can come back during the holidays or transfer to another branch, holiday, pay, exactly what u could be doing if and when u start there - when u ask the questions remember you dont technically have the job yet so dont say "when i start here, what will i be doing?". U'll think of things during the interview and as he/she goes over some stuff - Make sure you know ur trouser/shirt sizes!

ReputationRep:
    hey anyone got the answers for online or phone interview? cos i cant pass the bloody phone interview at all lol so frustrrating

ReputationRep:
    well i will give you some tips if you want but if you failed it lately you have to wait 6 months till you apply again

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.