master roflcopter
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Is anyone else doing AQA english lit B Task 2 coursework at the moment? What is yours going to be on?

I'm looking at The Woman in White from a feminist perspective, but I'm having trouble coming up with a title for my essay- does anyone have any ideas? I'm not really sure how to bring the critical material into it
yushuak
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How are gender roles presented in The Woman in White?
To what extent can The Woman in White be considered a feminist novel?
Is feminism the most important theme in The Woman in White?

Good Luck
mr_qwerty
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The "To what extent can The Woman in White be considered a feminist novel" is a pretty flawless title - simple and concise.

I've used that title, but mines via a Marxist approach, instead of feminist.

Im stuck on my other coursework title though, its on 'child/ childhood' and my text is Wuthering heights - any idea's?
master roflcopter
Rep:
?
(Original post by mr_qwerty)
The "To what extent can The Woman in White be considered a feminist novel" is a pretty flawless title - simple and concise.

I've used that title, but mines via a Marxist approach, instead of feminist.

Im stuck on my other coursework title though, its on 'child/ childhood' and my text is Wuthering heights - any idea's?
i'm doing wuthering heights for the exam- elements of the gothic, but we haven't started it yet... do you know what you're comparing it to?
StabiloBoss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IamMyself)
I just read this question...and im also doing task two...but i need to write two pieces for task two, and then my teacher will pick the best one. But im not sure on what my questions should be. One question will be based on Marxism and one on Feminism, but how do i link the critical anthology into the question
I don't think you need to link it into the question, just reference it in the essay.
IamMyself
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by StabiloBoss)
I don't think you need to link it into the question, just reference it in the essay.
ohh kl...do i need to quote from the critical anthology - for example im doing a question on feminism, so if theres something from the feminist theory that i see in my poem do i actullay write the quote from the anothology into my coursework?
StabiloBoss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ohh kl...do i need to quote from the critical anthology - for example im doing a question on feminism, so if theres something from the feminist theory that i see in my poem do i actullay write the quote from the anothology into my coursework?
I'm doing the Marxism one and yeah I've quoted it a couple times. Just saying Marxists think "blah blah" and then showing how that is presented in the poem.
IamMyself
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by StabiloBoss)
I'm doing the Marxism one and yeah I've quoted it a couple times. Just saying Marxists think "blah blah" and then showing how that is presented in the poem.
ohh thanks tht helps = D, iv been reli confused
master roflcopter
Rep:
?
we've been told not to, since the text should be the main thrust behind the essay
we were also told that we need to do wider reading on feminism for example, as the stuff in the anthology isnt enough?
IamMyself
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by master roflcopter)
we've been told not to, since the text should be the main thrust behind the essay
we were also told that we need to do wider reading on feminism for example, as the stuff in the anthology isnt enough?
lol ur as confused as i am...All i know is for task two you need to use the critical anthology for the question. And the critical anthology counts as one text, and you poem/book counts as one text. The whole point of task two is to use the critical anthology. In my mark scheme is says "make connections between the critical material and the literary texts (the book/poem you choose to do -AO3)

we were also told that we need to do wider reading on feminism for example, as the stuff in the anthology isnt enough? - im not sure, i think we probably need to do extra reasearch on feminisn to show we understand the theory.

I have started writing mine, and its a load of ****. Im trying to pick out things from the feminism part of the anthology and then trying to link it into my essay. So for example it says that look out for female sterotypes, so i said in my poem the writer uses traditional female sterotypes. But i dnt feel i kno enough to write the essay

Are u doing Marxism or Feminism?
master roflcopter
Rep:
?
Are u doing Marxism or Feminism?
I'm doing Feminism, but I'm still kinda confused about it...
My teacher has said not to worry too much about the critical theory, and to base the essay on the text, which makes sense i guess, but a lot of the advice we got given is contradictory...

i handed my essay in to my teacher for a brief look at it, not a proper draft though. She said it was 'excellent' and showed it around the class as an example of how it should be written, since it focused on the text and actually made an argument, so i though it was mostly on track. She then took it in, marked it properly and told me it was somewhere between a C and a B- not exactly what I'd call excellent really , and we're only really supposed to have one more draft, so I have to pull it up to an A somehow :eek3:
beyondbabble
Report 10 years ago
we were also told that we need to do wider reading on feminism for example, as the stuff in the anthology isnt enough? - im not sure, i think we probably need to do extra reasearch on feminisn to show we understand the theory.
Definitely. The critical anthology just scratches the surface. Understanding the theories of Feminism and Marxism can really help focus your question: I don't think I would have chosen either if I hadn't studied them in depth already. However, 1500 word limit! It's going to be hard to say much so I made sure my question was really focused...

In terms of general extra reading into literary criticism I recommend searching local libraries for Rice & Waugh's Modern Literary Theory (there is also a used copy (condition: like new) on Amazon currently for just £4 + £2.75 p&p) if it's not too late to suggest! We have just given in our very first drafts of the comparison piece, with a final deadline of December 3rd, and created our essay titles for the literary criticism piece on Monday with a final deadline of December 17th, when another group in the year are not starting their comparison piece until mid-Feb. :eek:
Rosyred809
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
are any of you guys taking teh exam in january. i am. the bloody chamber for section A and frankenstein, bloody chamber and macbeth for section B. Anyone????
master roflcopter
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rosyred809)
are any of you guys taking teh exam in january. i am. the bloody chamber for section A and frankenstein, bloody chamber and macbeth for section B. Anyone????
Really? I actually think i would probably fail if i took it in january... have you been told which bits to cover for each section then? We were told both last year and this year to just use whichever question/text you feel you can answer best
Rosyred809
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
same here but i have generally decided just to do bloody chamber because my teacher is better. my teacher fro franeklnstein and macbeth is non existsent...i know but just see how it goees....
amyward32
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyone got their marks back on their coursework yet?
Also, does anyone know what the combined grade boundaries are? E.g. coursework and exam marks. I can't find them anywhere!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.19%
I'm not sure (3)
2.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (42)
32.81%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.31%

Watched Threads