Turn on thread page Beta

University - Why? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why do people go to uni. Is it because they think it will lead to a better life? Cause their mates are going? Because they dont want to get a job? Because it looks fun?...

I went because I just got back off holiday and was unhappy to be home and in work. Not the greatest reason but it worked out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Beaver)
    Why do people go to uni. Is it because they think it will lead to a better life? Cause their mates are going? Because they dont want to get a job? Because it looks fun?...

I went because I just got back off holiday and was unhappy to be home and in work. Not the greatest reason but it worked out.
    Erm, maybe because people want to learn and get a good education???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:

Because for some jobs you need it. YOu're not going to become a lawyer, or doctor without a degree

ReputationRep:
    Money. Need I say more? Actually I should. Simply to have a choice in a career in which to live life. Rather than pumping gas, most people want to do something that consumes them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommypip)
    Because for some jobs you need it. YOu're not going to become a lawyer, or doctor without a degree
    I'm just wondering if people are that far sighted at 18. I dont think I was. I thought things would just work out and I'd be driving a Ferrari by now or something.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering if people are that far sighted at 18. I dont think I was. I thought things would just work out and I'd be driving a Ferrari by now or something.
    You obviously thought wrong.
    People mainly go to unis to get a degree and get educated. Although some like the social aspects.

ReputationRep:
    youre not the only one.

ReputationRep:
    I know I wasn't. I didn't decide I wanted a uni education until I was 19, and even then I had to go back to school to qualify for uni. Finally enrolled few days after turning 21

ReputationRep:
    Well by the time I go to uni (next sept), I would have been in employment for three years. I have plenty of money now but want to fulfil my ambition of becoming a doctor. That's the reason why.

ReputationRep:
    I was - it's kinda obvious that I needed to go to university if I wanted to be a doctor, which I'd wanted to do since I was 10.

Most of my friends have gone to uni, either to get the qualifications they need for the jobs they want, for the experience, or just because it's the thing to do. There are a variety of reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I was - it's kinda obvious that I needed to go to university if I wanted to be a doctor, which I'd wanted to do since I was 10.

Most of my friends have gone to uni, either to get the qualifications they need for the jobs they want, for the experience, or just because it's the thing to do. There are a variety of reasons.
    What kind of doctor?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I wanted to leave home. And I wanted to get a job which didn't involve shelf-stacking/shopwork which was all that was available to me if I'd left school at 16. I didn't think it would be possible to get a job at home in Liverpool so I wanted a foothold in a more prosperous city (although if I ever get the chance I will be moving home again).

I chose my A levels because they were the subjects I'd enjoyed most at GCSE (maths and science (but not biology :spit: )).

I chose my degree course because it appealed to my tree-hugging tendancies and was offered by Cardiff where I spent 2 weeks on an engineering summer school (and 2 weeks of engineering was more than enough to put me off that route ) I didn't chose to go to Cardiff to study it though.

My tree-hugging course (environmental geoscience) turned out to be a geology course so I switched to a bog standard geology degree.

There was no real motive apart from a desire to study something different that I would enjoy...and at the same time gain more independance.

My parents have always encouraged me to leave home and do what ever I wanted but I always baulked at the idea of leaving home solely for that reason - university seemed like a nice way to lessen the rejection.
    :shrug:

ReputationRep:
    Independance, and the chance to be a scientific resracher and discover stuff, while getting to use very expensive equipment .

ReputationRep:
    because its what everyone does after A-levels.

and i am too much of a child to get a proper job.

basically im putting off growning up and getting responsibility.

love Katy***

ReputationRep:
    Why not? I didn't know what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, so I went to university to give myself more options. Unfortunately I now have lots of options and I still don't know what I want to do!

ReputationRep:
    Why do people go to uni. Is it because they think it will lead to a better life? Cause their mates are going? Because they dont want to get a job? Because it looks fun?....
    Good question, I'll give you my answer in the next 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    What kind of doctor?
    Don't know yet - maybe a surgeon (although nothing too risky like heart/neurosurgery, or plastics) or maybe Emergency Dept work. I think I need to wait till my clinical training to decide what I like and what I'm good at.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.