This discussion is closed.
Steveo92
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey,

Thought this was the best place to ask, considering the wealth of knowlage on TSR.

What are the best Universities for automotive engineering?
(but not oxbridge, If the best is one of those)

Thanks.
DeeDub
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Most of the top (Oxbridge + Imperial) Unis do not offer an Automotive Engineering course.

Unis which are particularly noted for their engineering departments are Southampton, Bristol and Bath. I don't know whether they have automotive courses though.
Porscha!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What are you interested in doing - developing cars of the future or working on things already been made? Also are you more interested in road or race cars or fast road / track cars? Do you want a uni that gives the most practical hands on experience or more theory based experience?

Which uni is best for one isn't the best for another really!

I study Motorsport Engineering, if you want more info you are more than welcome to quote / PM me.

Regards,
Nicola
Steveo92
Rep:
?
(Original post by Porscha!)
What are you interested in doing - developing cars of the future or working on things already been made? Also are you more interested in road or race cars or fast road / track cars? Do you want a uni that gives the most practical hands on experience or more theory based experience?

I study Motorsport Engineering, if you want more info you are more than welcome to quote / PM me.

Regards,
Nicola
Thanks, Wow, didn't really think there was that many different pathways. I think I would prefer a uni with more hands on experiance ( a little sick of classroom based lessons). I can say that I have really thought about the option of road/track/race, but right now I'd say more track/race than road.

Out of interest, what uni is it that you go to and what course are you in?

Edit: Just re-read your post, I see you do motorsport engineering. At what uni?
Porscha!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There are a lot of different pathways - for example I, 100% know I don't want to work on modern stuff and am planning on running my own garage.

I'm at Derby Uni, studying Motorsport Engineering (well it's still Motorsport Technology to the outside world, they are waiting on the official paperwork coming back to change the name!) we have around 16 hours of contact time per week. 4 hours per week we spend learning to use machines (e.g. lathes / milling machines etc.) or building engines / transmission systems / suspension etc. you are encouraged to get lots of outside experience too and must do at least 100 hours motorsport work experience by the end of year two. 2nd and 3rd year you do two major practical projects. All our subjects studied are relevent to the practical, it's very applied and you will actually use the stuff you learn.

Derby is one of the most practical courses in the country *most* are very theoretical we had one guy transfer from Oxford Brookes who was doing Motorsport there and he only did about 4 days of practical throughout the whole of first year!
Steveo92
Rep:
?
There are a lot of different pathways - for example I, 100% know I don't want to work on modern stuff and am planning on running my own garage.

I'm at Derby Uni, studying Motorsport Engineering (well it's still Motorsport Technology to the outside world, they are waiting on the official paperwork coming back to change the name!) we have around 16 hours of contact time per week. 4 hours per week we spend learning to use machines (e.g. lathes / milling machines etc.) or building engines / transmission systems / suspension etc. you are encouraged to get lots of outside experience too and must do at least 100 hours motorsport work experience by the end of year two. 2nd and 3rd year you do two major practical projects. All our subjects studied are relevent to the practical, it's very applied and you will actually use the stuff you learn.

Derby is one of the most practical courses in the country *most* are very theoretical we had one guy transfer from Oxford Brookes who was doing Motorsport there and he only did about 4 days of practical throughout the whole of first year!
Thats exactly what I don't want, being told how not shown.

The course you are on seems to be the course I have been looking for. I take it that you're learning on the existing stuff and not the development side.

When you say that you need at least 100 hours motorsport work experiance by the second year, I take it that could come in the form of a part time job.

And the course you're on is only 16 hours per week?
Porscha!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes we don't do development (well not as I know of, if you do it'll be an option in 2nd / 3rd year, which as I'm not interested about I really don't know, LOL)

You could do it in the form of a part time job, yes or marshalling / scruntineering.

16 hours per week contact time you have lots of reading and work to do outside of uni though, it's about the same as any uni course!
Benny_b
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What sort of job do you see yourself going into in the future?
Steveo92
Rep:
?
(Original post by Benny_b)
What sort of job do you see yourself going into in the future?
To be honest, I don't really know. Most likly some form of motorsport/garage option.
Benny_b
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Steveo92)
To be honest, I don't really know. Most likly some form of motorsport/garage option.
Well it's fairly important obviously to distinct between being an Engineer and a mechanic.
If you want a to work in a garage doing an Engineering course (something accredited by the engineering council i.e. IMechE) isn't necessary and a vocational qualification mixed in with lots of work experience would be the best route to go down!
Steveo92
Rep:
?
Well it's fairly important obviously to distinct between being an Engineer and a mechanic.
If you want a to work in a garage doing an Engineering course (something accredited by the engineering council i.e. IMechE) isn't necessary and a vocational qualification mixed in with lots of work experience would be the best route to go down!
Well think of it this way, I'll be going to uni. I asked what uni's where the best not asking for a carreer path, but thanks for the help.
Benny_b
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well think of it this way, I'll be going to uni. I asked what uni's where the best not asking for a carreer path, but thanks for the help.
Well it is important as if you want to work as an Engineer your University selection would be very different to if you wanted to work as a mechanic.

For example, Loughborough and Bath are very well regarded Engineering universities, but the courses would be of little value in a vocational sense.

However, it sounds as if Derby offer an excellent vocational course which would suit you far better if you want to end up in a Garage! In fact I believe one of the members of staff in the Auto Dept at Loughborough (where I'm at) went to the Univ of Derby, presumably on that course, he essentially acts as a consultant to the Formula Student team.
Steveo92
Rep:
?
Well it is important as if you want to work as an Engineer your University selection would be very different to if you wanted to work as a mechanic.

For example, Loughborough and Bath are very well regarded Engineering universities, but the courses would be of little value in a vocational sense.

However, it sounds as if Derby offer an excellent vocational course which would suit you far better if you want to end up in a Garage! In fact I believe one of the members of staff in the Auto Dept at Loughborough (where I'm at) went to the Univ of Derby, presumably on that course, he essentially acts as a consultant to the Formula Student team.
Ah, right. I get you now, I thought you where saying that for being a mechanic uni is a no-no.

I feel at the moment that the course at Derby may be the right course that I was looking for.

cheers.
Porscha!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Completely agree

Also is your Formula student consultant a recent Derby graduate?

It comes down to do you want to build race cars or be more behind the scenes really?
Steveo92
Rep:
?
Completely agree

Also is your Formula student consultant a recent Derby graduate?

It comes down to do you want to build race cars or be more behind the scenes really?
What do you mean by "more behind the scenes"?
Porscha!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Design / development not getting your "hands dirty" so to speak!
Steveo92
Rep:
?
Design / development not getting your "hands dirty" so to speak!
Ahh right. Definatly not the design aspect. The first one on your other post.
preamnath
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago

Regards,
Nicola
Hey dude
since u study motorsport can u help me out in choosin which is gud for automotice or motorsport from among brunel leeds loughborough coventry..
and which university are u studyin in
preamnath
Report 11 years ago
hey.
i've got my offer from brunel university an have applied for leeds an loughborugh can u help out with ur opinions an about ur ideas about the job placements in these universities. pls do tel me if they are other universities whre i can apply for automotive or motorsort which are reali gud
preamnath
Report 11 years ago
What do you mean by "more behind the scenes"?

Hey
Can u let me know which university is gud for atuomotive engg . i've applied for brunel leeds loughborough coventry an brighton
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads