The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Nambi
Ugh, I think I'm going to have to call troll after that. :yes:

Im not trolling. Im just wondering why someone who says that the life of a puppy is inherently unimportant is so enraged by the fact that a puppy died after getting kicked in the head. Its kind of a conflicting opinion to have.
Reply 21
Bslforever
You know what, im inclined towards agreeing with Aristotle too :smile:

Yah, he was a pretty smart dude. I'm gonna trust him on this one too. The fact we are having this discussion pretty much proves it is true :biggrin:
Reply 22
If I was put in a room and told I had to shoot either a baby or an animal, or both would die, I don't think I'd shoot either.
Reply 23
secretmessages
I didn't say that we are brilliant. I merely stated that some people on this earth hold that opinion, which is true.

ok then, fair enough. Its not the truth and its not an opinion that i hold, but yeah, some people do hold that opinion.
Reply 24
Ewan
If I was put in a room and told I had to shoot either a baby or an animal, or both would die, I don't think I'd shoot either.

That wasnt an option lol. The whole point of the analogy is that you have to choose.
Reply 25
shark67
Hahaha whats there to debate about? An animal is not equal to a human, when are the thickheads going to understand this?

Whilst i wouldnt say it like that, i agree. I remember a thread a while back about some kid who was torturing a kitten and uploading vids and everyone was saying things like "that kid should die" and "i'd like to hurt him and see how he likes it". I was just like :\
i dont know. I mean when i see an advert about people needing help then an animal one. i always feel much worse about the animal one. to be honest i think it is because of the innocence of them. and choosing between a kitten and baby is silly that wouldn't happen so you can't assess that situation. but if you were in a situation human or animal 9 times out of 10 it would be the humans fault you were there anyway any therefore who would you shot?
Reply 27
Bslforever
Ok, i've been wondering about this for a while now. A lot of people seem to think that people and animals are equal. This kinda stems from that thread about the puppy that got kicked to death. One guy said that People>Animals and was probably negged to death because of it.

So what do you think? I personally think that human life should be valued above that of animals. To all those who disagree with me, if you were put in a room with a gun, a baby and a little kitten, and told that you had to shoot one of the two - can you honestly tell me that you would have trouble with making that decision based on how equal all life is?

This question shouldn't even be asked, moreover on TSR the brightest of the British :rolleyes:
Reply 28
Bslforever
Im not trolling. Im just wondering why someone who says that the life of a puppy is inherently unimportant is so enraged by the fact that a puppy died after getting kicked in the head. Its kind of a conflicting opinion to have.

What is inherently unimportant and what is important to a human are two different things.

As a human in our worldview if we see another creature get killed for pleasure we should have a notion that's wrong (the reasons why are way too much to get into right now but hopefully you agree with that).

If you want to step into the 'grand scheme of things' however, then sure, we have no more importance than other species apart from to ourselves, as humans, we obviously are meant to identify with our own kind.

I don't see the confliction here. Because I realise a human has no 'right' to kick a dog to death I should, what, not care if they do? That's more confliction.
Reply 29
justasmalltowngirl
i dont know. I mean when i see an advert about people needing help then an animal one. i always feel much worse about the animal one. to be honest i think it is because of the innocence of them. and choosing between a kitten and baby is silly that wouldn't happen so you can't assess that situation. but if you were in a situation human or animal 9 times out of 10 it would be the humans fault you were there anyway any therefore who would you shot?

I never said this was realistic. I am just thinking, if this was the case, what would you do.

And im pretty shocked that you feel worse about animal ads then people ads. I would much rather see people in Nigeria drink clean water than sponser a puppy for just £2.50 a month.
Reply 30
justasmalltowngirl

The animal? How can you value a human life less than an animal life?!:confused:
We may be more capable of reason than any other animal that has ever existed or might ever exist on this planet, but we do a poor show of exercising that reason when people try to justify anthropocentrism.

All sentient things deserve an equal measure of respect and protection, and all living things sans deadly bacteria deserve protection. Humans are just animals who got lucky and evolved slightly more - we are inextricably linked to our environment [both abiotic and biotic] and it should be accorded the respect that we haughtily give ourselves.
Reply 32
theBOON
The animal? How can you value a human life less than an animal life?!:confused:

This is the reason i asked the question. A lot of people seem to value animals as either equal to or even higher than humans.
Reply 33
Aphotic Cosmos
We may be more capable of reason than any other animal that has ever existed or will exist on this planet, but we do a poor show of exercising that reason when people try to justify anthropocentrism.

All sentient things deserve an equal measure of respect and protection, and all living things sans deadly bacteria deserve protection. Humans are just animals who got lucky and evolved slightly more - we are inextricably linked to our environment [both abiotic and biotic] and it should be accorded the respect that we haughtily give ourselves.

Ok so based on that nice logical argument, what would you do in the situation i laid out at the start? By your logic, the kitten and the baby deserve equal respect and protection.
I prefer animals for the majority of the time :h:
Bslforever
Ok so based on that nice logical argument, what would you do in the situation i laid out at the start? By your logic, the kitten and the baby deserve equal respect and protection.

Given that such a situation has virtually nil chances of occurring, I fail to see how answering it will serve a practical purpose.
Reply 36
People > Animals. Animals are here purely for our amusement, they do not have any rights, and really shouldnt be any cause for maltreatment of humans. Animals taste nice, interesting to look at, and fun for sporting/hunting. Plus they make milk. Aside from that, theyre here for our own amusement, nothing else.
Reply 37
Bslforever
This is the reason i asked the question. A lot of people seem to value animals as either equal to or even higher than humans.

Not to go off topic but valuing humans the least amongst animals is actually one of the most important values for SATANISTS.

You know those people who offer fetus and newborn babies as sacrifices to satan (:yes:it happens:mad:)

This is because the satanic text is the opposite of the Bible were God clearly puts humans dominant over nature.

This just highlights the wrong in this stupid statement.
Ewan

But surely your choice is because you're evading responsibility through inaction rather than you value animals and humans equally?
paella
People > Animals. Animals are here purely for our amusement, they do not have any rights, and really shouldnt be any cause for maltreatment of humans. Animals taste nice, interesting to look at, and fun for sporting/hunting. Plus they make milk. Aside from that, theyre here for our own amusement, nothing else.

Typical judeo-christian philosophical rubbish. Animals are not here for our "amusement", they evolved in the same world that we did, and are vital for the self-maintenance of the natural ecosystems that we inhabit.

Latest

Trending

Trending