The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
what are you then :eek: lol
Reply 21
Haha, I'm Danish! :smile:
Reply 22
i really didnt know this!! really good news. thanks.
I got my HC1 form this morning, and I am entitled to abit off in eye checks, glasses, lenses, NHS hospital treatment and NHS wigs and dentist treatments.

But what about prescription medicine from your GP??? I thought thats what the whole thing was about and was the reason why I applied for it. How come I didnt get it? Does anyone know?
PQ
Can I just say that technically your Student Loan isn't income - it's a loan. If it's over the minimum tax amount you don't have to pay income tax on it because you're going to have to pay it back.

I would never declare a loan as income on an income assessment form....income is money you don't have to repay (from a job or from parents or grants).

Yeah I know, but they specifically say to fill the form if you got a student loan, even though you have to pay it back eventually. I think thats not fare, I got a full loan out and because of that I only get partial help with health costs and every 3 months I have to get the same medication, and according to the parial help certificate, I only get abit money off and have to pay for FULL prescriptions. :mad:
Reply 25
BlueAngel
A couple of my mates told me that they get free prescription medicines, free eye tests and free dental treatment, when I've been paying all year for them.
I went to teh doctors today and asked for the HC1 form, and they looked at me funnily and said there's no such thing. I felt dead stupid, but I'm sure there is a such thing as a HC1 form.
Anyway in google, I found it and just applied for it, having no idea what it was.

Can students over 18 get free medication and checkups?
Is the HC1 form the right one to apply for?

Love BlueAngel xxx

It depends on what your 'income' is like - this includes your student loan. On the whole, you'll probably have to pay for prescriptions and the first £50 of any eye or dental care.

That tends to be the norm.
Reply 26
BlueAngel
But what about prescription medicine from your GP??? I thought thats what the whole thing was about and was the reason why I applied for it. How come I didnt get it? Does anyone know?

Because you're not entitled to it.
Reply 27
PQ
Can I just say that technically your Student Loan isn't income - it's a loan. If it's over the minimum tax amount you don't have to pay income tax on it because you're going to have to pay it back.

I would never declare a loan as income on an income assessment form....income is money you don't have to repay (from a job or from parents or grants).

That's what is so unjust about claiming hardship grounds for free prescriptions etc.

The Student Loan is considered as income. The non-assessed loan is worth approx. £66 a week after deducting allowances for books, according to the government assessor. If a student is helped by their parents by way of, say, paying their rent, the application on HC1 is rejected as the amount considered necessary to live on is £45 per week meaning that their income is in £21 a week more than they need!

You are right about it not being income as it is to be paid back - but that anomaly is ignored for HC1 purposes. :mad:
This is kind of related, does anyone know if i still get free prescriptions if i havent filled in a form, i have now finished my exams so i'm technically not still in full time education but i am 17 and on the prescription it says its free if you r 16, 17 or 18 and in ful time education. I have a place in liverpool for september, does that count as full time education, thanks.
Reply 29
Yep - if you're under the age of 19 you get free medication without filling in any paperwork. And a university place counts as full-time education (assuming of course that you take it up).
Jenn xx
Reply 30
I heard that if you tick on some form that your unemployed you get free prescriptions...........I'm not sure if this is true or not

I really need to find a way to get free prescriptions as every two week I need £40 worth of prescriptions!!!
if you dont qualify for free prescriptions, you can always get a pre-payment certificate. this can work out cheaper, especially if you get regular medication eg for asthma/eczema. costs...
"From 1 April 2005, the charge for a single prescription item is £6.50, whereas a 4-month PPC will cost you £33.90 and a 12-month PPC £93.20. "
Reply 32
PQ
Cheeky buggers...back when I was a student I'm sure this wasn't the case (I remember filling in my HC1 excluding the student loan but including parental income).

(

It was when I did my first degree - graduated 1999. They included the full student loan, regardless of whether you had applied for it or not (this was the 'old' style loans).

When I filled in my HC1, I stupidly disclosed my earnings saying I didn';t have a loan, and then when I questioned why I didn't qualify I was told it was because the student loan put me over the 'earnings' limit.

****ing stupid! I chose to work rather than get myself in debt and they screwed me over for it!
PQ

So say my part time job pays £180 a month would i be eligeble if that was my only "real" income? :confused:
Reply 34
how does any of this apply to international students?
temilola
I heard that if you tick on some form that your unemployed you get free prescriptions...........I'm not sure if this is true or not

I really need to find a way to get free prescriptions as every two week I need £40 worth of prescriptions!!!

arg this whole system sucks

at this rate i'm just going to have to be ill....and hope i don't get anything bad cos i can't afford it!
Reply 36
racheld1985
if you dont qualify for free prescriptions, you can always get a pre-payment certificate. this can work out cheaper, especially if you get regular medication eg for asthma/eczema. costs...
"From 1 April 2005, the charge for a single prescription item is £6.50, whereas a 4-month PPC will cost you £33.90 and a 12-month PPC £93.20. "

Ive got eczema and asthma......how does a pre-payment certificate actually work??
Reply 37
anabelle
how does any of this apply to international students?

Are you EU or non-EU?

If the latter, it doesn't!
can ne one tell me whether students have to pay for glasses and lenses. i am currently on my gap year and going to brum this sept 2005.

i wanted to know weather i am able to get the govt to pay for may lenses which are £50 at optical express, on top of my frames which are £124.
Reply 39
they wont pay for frames that are £124! they have a selcetion of nhs frames though. and lenses, i think you get a voucher to help towards it.

Latest

Trending

Trending