Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I thought the paper was ok, there were some hard bits but it could be worse. THe 8 mark question about reflex arc wasnt specific enough, so I spent like 20mins just on writing all about 1) depolarisation and action potentials, 2) Synapses, 3) how muscles work, but I had time to just complete the paper, hopefully the grade boundaries would be not that high...

ReputationRep:
    what did everyone put for the question about the controls for the hearing experiment, i didnt even have time to ansa it, but it just left me dumbfounded,

ReputationRep:
    the ppr was OK ...
    i guess it cld hav been worse...i felt it was harder than any of the past exam pprs i had done...

:sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annika_6)
    what did u write for the small muscles attached to the ossicles?
    I suggested that loud sounds will cause large vibrations, and the muscle contraction helps protect the ossicles by 'dampening' the oscillations/vibrations, which might otherwise break the auditory ossicles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zany)
    I'm really annoyed as my timing is pretty bad and I missed a few questions out because of this!! At least 3 . On the cholesterol question, I wrote it formed bile salts/ prevented evaporation of water from skin and something else I forget. Ohh mechanical stability/fluidiy in membranes? I don't know whether they were were referring to this though?

What was the advantages of having a highly folded membrane on first q?
    Greater surface area so more neurones fit into a smaller space? Thats what I wrote anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asian cutie)
    grr i forgot to write that :mad:
    Same, thats annoying. Could have picked up a few extra marks! Grr! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    I suggested that loud sounds will cause large vibrations, and the muscle contraction helps protect the ossicles by 'dampening' the oscillations/vibrations, which might otherwise break the auditory ossicles.
    Good!! thats exactly what i said

ReputationRep:
    can anyone confirm to me what type of marking they use please? Eg for the folded cortex question for 2marks i wrote something like 3reasons all of which where true eg makes sure that all the brain areas are supplied with blood etc aswell as also writing about more surface area and more space for neurones and synapses if the mark scheme is for the increase in SA then do you get a mark? can you have multiple answers?
    thanks,
    sarah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amoeba)
    how did u manage that !!!!! :eek:
    i think and write really really really fast
    so my handwritings kinda crappy, but its not actually possible to slow down cos i need to write as i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colombiche)
    what did everyone put for the question about the controls for the hearing experiment, i didnt even have time to ansa it, but it just left me dumbfounded,
    I put to make sure that the sounds were distributed to both ears equally, so one ear didn't pick up more sound than the other and to make sure that there was no background noise. I dunno if those are right cos I had like 2 minutes left at that point so I was rushing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    I put to make sure that the sounds were distributed to both ears equally, so one ear didn't pick up more sound than the other and to make sure that there was no background noise. I dunno if those are right cos I had like 2 minutes left at that point so I was rushing
    **** i thought that exam was SO awful. that muscle q i had no idea what it was asking. dammit if it was about neuromuscular junction, and how a muscle contracts coz i knew everything about that so well, but i didn't get what the question was asking about at all! so i started talking about reflex arcs coz they put that pic of the neurones going through the CNS and stuff so i thought it might have something to do with that, coz they'd already had an essay q from the support and locomotion chapter. about the muscles in the ear i put something about them protecting the little ossicles so they aren't damaged blah blah... on nearly every q i guessed a really crappy answer. oh how depressing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    Sounds reasonable (that the source must be a constant distance away etc), but I just guessed "sex", and "age". I don't know if that's right?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    age is between A & C, bear in mind B has age-related hearing loss

ReputationRep:
    I said to keep background noise to a minimum, and to keep the rate at which volume is increased constant.

ReputationRep:
    i answered with keep background noise to a min and simply use the same test for all of em

ReputationRep:
    i wrote to keep visual stimulation constant as this affects hearing sensitivity what did everyone get for the bone was it radius or ulna

ReputationRep:
    ulna

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 30, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.