One car two insurance policies? Advice please!

Watch
Impossible princess
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Right, I'm a bit worried as I've just found out that my boyfriend and I have been potentialy driving around uninsured since August.
I started my own insurance policy on my car in July, a few weeks later my boyfriend had to get rid of his car so I let him use mine to drive to work. My insurance company wouldn't let me add him onto my policy as a named driver, as we're both under 25, nor would any other insurance company let us have one policy for the two of us.
So, my boyfriend called his insurance company and swapped his insurance over to my car, told them I was the owner etc and since then we've had two policies on the car, mine and his.
But yesterday I got told that you're simply not allowed to have more than one insurance policy on one car!
I had no idea that you couldn't do this and really never thought that it was a problem because the insurance companies let us do it.

I can't find any info on the internet about this and I obviously really need to know if this is true or not. I'd be very greatfull if someone could help me out! Thanks!
Advisor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The law requires that a person driving the car be insured against third party risks. There is no law that says you cannot have more than one policy. I've heard of an insurance company saying that before, but I suspected it was a sales pitch to get you to swap from the other company to them.

If you get stopped, simply produce your insurance certificate. As long as you've paid up, the policy is valid. If your bf gets stopped, he should produce his. As long as he has paid up, his policy is valid. I can't see the police looking beyond one valid certificate for another problem, but there may be complications on the MID database that the police use for ANPR scans. It shouldn't flag up anything, but when they do a check, one of you may have some explaining to do. This doesn't mean you should be worried as you've both acted in good faith.
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My initial reaction is, if he's insured on your car independently as are you, then what the hell are they complaining about?

I don't see this being a concern.
Impossible princess
Rep:
?
The law requires that a person driving the car be insured against third party risks. There is no law that says you cannot have more than one policy. I've heard of an insurance company saying that before, but I suspected it was a sales pitch to get you to swap from the other company to them.
I don't see this being a concern.
Thanks, I didn't see why it should be a problem either but I've had a look around on google and a lot of people seem to think that having two seperate policies can be considered fraud, as you could try and make two claims for one incident. Also it will apparantly cause problems if we need to make a claim that cannot be blamed on or related to either of us, e.g the car gets stolen, then both insurance companies will claim that the other is liable to pay up (which, I can see would happen as insurance companies hate paying out).
Arrgh, it seems as though we are covered just for legality but if we actually had to make a claim we'd have huge problems.
Impossible princess
Rep:
?
Firstly I find it hard to believe, you were turned down its not like a company to turn away business! Surely they would insure him on your policy at a price!
Yep they completely refused to let me be a named driver on his policy and likewise with mine. They just wouldn't have two drivers under 25 on one policy they considered it too much of a risk. The only case where they would was if we had been living together for over six months, which we hadn't been.
Secondly, your insurance is likely to be invalid, if you have given false information or not informed your insurance company of change to your personal details etc. Which leads to the first important questions....
I haven't given any false information and there haven't been any changes to my circumstances! My boyfriend informed his insurance company that he wanted to change his policy to insure himself on a different car that wasn't his and they ok'd it.
re you on his policy at all? If so are you main driver?
e.g. If you are both main drivers then both policies are invalid! Theres other scenarios going through my head but I shall wait for your response!
No I'm not on his policy, he is the main driver on his policy. So yes there are two policies with two different main drivers. I take it that it is invalid then, why?
And let me assure you that neither of us had any intention of committing fraud or doing anything wrong. We genuinely thought that we were doing the right thing, we could have lied about living together and had the one policy which would have been a lot cheaper but we didn't.
voodooshaman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I worked for one of the bigger car insurance companies for 2 years. I'm pretty sure what you've done will not invalidate either companies insurance policy but insurers are a bit funny* about having two policies covering the same car, simply because it can complicate claims.

The only way you could claim twice is if there was no 3rd party involved. Trying to claim from the same 3rd party wouldn't work

The best thing to do though OP, would be to ring your insurer and ask them. That way you'll be certain and not have to rely on internet hearsay.

EDIT: By "a bit funny" i mean reluctant to do so, but they will in certain circumstances.

Also, would it not be worth your while looking for a company who will put you both on the policy,there's a good chance it will be cheaper than paying for 2 seperate policies.
rmhumphries
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Impossible princess)
Thanks, I didn't see why it should be a problem either but I've had a look around on google and a lot of people seem to think that having two seperate policies can be considered fraud, as you could try and make two claims for one incident. Also it will apparantly cause problems if we need to make a claim that cannot be blamed on or related to either of us, e.g the car gets stolen, then both insurance companies will claim that the other is liable to pay up (which, I can see would happen as insurance companies hate paying out).
Arrgh, it seems as though we are covered just for legality but if we actually had to make a claim we'd have huge problems.
Downgrade one of your policies to third party ONLY.

That way, you are covered for third party damage, however fire and theft and if you want fully comp, things covered under fully comp are on just one policy.

An insurance company will not pay if another policy covers the liability is the general rule. So as long as there is no cross over, you will be ok.
rmhumphries
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by fosters88)
Well there the false information, you have informed your insurer that you are the main driver and that there are no other drivers. Your bf has informed his insurer he is the main driver and that there are no other drivers.
Which is not true there are two drivers, one of which is the main driver one of which is a named driver. You can only have one main driver!

Each question is a calculation of the risk which alters the premium but it also provides info e.g. garaged at night... policy holder states their car is garaged at address X to get a lower premium and yet when they come to claim due to their car been broken into at address X, the car was on a driveway at night as there was no garage! This simple lie can invalidate a person’s insurance.

There are some Insurers that give NCB to named drivers as well as the main driver. However these are a select few companies, you basically you are both acquiring NCB from the same car on two separate policies.
Negative. She is the main driver of her policy, and there are no other drivers covered by her insurance policy. He is the main driver of his policy, and there are no other drivers covered by his insurance policy.

A wide range of people with fully comp insurance on their car can drive my car (with third party cover only) with my permission, despite my policy being in my name only. They are just not covered by my insurance.
voodooshaman
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by rmhumphries)
An insurance company will not pay if another policy covers the liability is the general rule. So as long as there is no cross over, you will be ok.
If she had an accident whilst driving - her policy covers it
If her BF has and accident whilst driving - his policy covers it
If the car is damaged whilst parked/stolen/set on fire - each policy pays half the cost of the claim and they pay 50% of the appropriate excesses on both policies

That is my understanding.

(Original post by rmhumphries)
Negative. She is the main driver of her policy, and there are no other drivers covered by her insurance policy. He is the main driver of his policy, and there are no other drivers covered by his insurance policy.

A wide range of people with fully comp insurance on their car can drive my car (with third party cover only) with my permission, despite my policy being in my name only. They are just not covered by my insurance.
This.
jaw
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by fosters88)
Well there the false information, you have informed your insurer that you are the main driver and that there are no other drivers. Your bf has informed his insurer he is the main driver and that there are no other drivers.
Which is not true there are two drivers, one of which is the main driver one of which is a named driver. You can only have one main driver!

Each question is a calculation of the risk which alters the premium but it also provides info e.g. garaged at night... policy holder states their car is garaged at address X to get a lower premium and yet when they come to claim due to their car been broken into at address X, the car was on a driveway at night as there was no garage! This simple lie can invalidate a person’s insurance.

There are some Insurers that give NCB to named drivers as well as the main driver. However these are a select few companies, you basically you are both acquiring NCB from the same car on two separate policies.
no, you are the main driver covered under that policy. Out of the insured, you will be driving the car. it's a grey area when you're talking fully comprehensive cover, potentially my impression is that it means one of you bears the brunt of a claim whilst the other is scott free should it be written off by no third party..

Each policy is almost certain to have a clause or statement in that you must in event of a claim, declare any insurances in place that cover the same risk; each policy will then pay an adequate share. It makes you wonder then; why isnt cheaper insurance easier to work in by insurance sharing cars ie to people, two policies, half the risk, lower the price??
maggiemay555
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can't see that being a problem if the car got stolen then surley the owner of the car would do the claming I am about to ask my insurance if my son could take another policy on my car he is a learner at the moment and is a named driver on my insurance but a friend of mine told me it would be cheaper for him after passing his test to take his own poloicy out with the same company as mine i am ringing them nexyt week i will let you know how i got on
vimto39
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OP, plug your registration into this website. The MID database is what the Police use, and so if your car comes up as OK on this check, it will show as insured on a Police in-car camera. If it shows as not insured, then call up the insurance and get a single policy for both of you.

EDIT: just realised this is from 2009..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.06%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.14%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (99)
10.92%
Lack of purpose or motivation (112)
12.35%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.85%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (49)
5.4%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (101)
11.14%
Financial worries (62)
6.84%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.52%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.17%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.87%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (87)
9.59%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (74)
8.16%

Watched Threads