Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got my exam in like 3 days.

does anyone know where i can go and buy the official revision book/guide for this course?

Wham.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually doing AQA specification B, but I got an english language revision guide from Waterstones for about £14, and I think it covers all exam boards. It's served me well, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    any1 doing this exam? nobody really seems to be talking about it! does anybody know what question came up in january for language change (question 3, i believe).

do u think it would be okay just to revise language change. i think question 2 is usually a language variation question, wheras question 3 is a language change question. and i understand and like and enjoy and get language change. but lqang variation i just don't understand (too much accent and dialect stuff!!).

texts in time should be okay... just think i should focus on lang change now as lang variation for me is a no hoper

what u think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dustyjim)
    any1 doing this exam? nobody really seems to be talking about it! does anybody know what question came up in january for language change (question 3, i believe).

do u think it would be okay just to revise language change. i think question 2 is usually a language variation question, wheras question 3 is a language change question. and i understand and like and enjoy and get language change. but lqang variation i just don't understand (too much accent and dialect stuff!!).

texts in time should be okay... just think i should focus on lang change now as lang variation for me is a no hoper

what u think?
    one of my genius friends told me that you can get away with revising for one or the other.

the problem is, im finding it very difficult finding resources.

if i were to just do change, what things should i look at??

bobalob

ReputationRep:
    We did stuff about how from the 1960s, The Beatles and Pirate radio made accents more popular, the Sex Pistols let us say f**k, technology gave us new words, travel gave us new food words (ciabatta, fettucini etc) and stuff like that

If you mention new words, you have to say how they're formed, like Suffixation, Clipping and so on. My friend managed to write "Fo' shizzle" in her mock!

ReputationRep:
    well question 1 was a shocker - 1785 had nothing to talk about apart from occurring just after Johnson's dictionary!

naff all in there.

2) dialect question looked pretty open and easy but i didnt bother with that one.

3) was fine, though heated debates was tricky to pin down.

what did everyone else think?

Tommo xx

ReputationRep:
    yeh there wasn't really any historical stuff to put in the textual analysis was there?! there seemed like there should be but just wasn't! i did quest 2, and wrote about pidgins and creoles, estuary english, slang and netspeak. i hope that was ok :s xx

ReputationRep:
    The textual analysis was a bit rubbish! There was hardly anything to say about it really.

The language change one was really good though, nice and open!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil Lee Lee)
    The textual analysis was a bit rubbish! There was hardly anything to say about it really.

The language change one was really good though, nice and open!
    +1 .. couldnt of put it better myself

ReputationRep:
    I felt the same about the textual analysis, I was hoping to get an older piece so atleast the spelling were different! I just commented on even though it was a personal letter she referred to her friends by their surname...eek dont think i did too well on that.
    People who did q3 what did you comment about?

ReputationRep:
    The textual analysis was a bit pooey. I did the language change as there was so much you could write about.

Two more English left. How's everyone feeling about the synoptic on Monday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladydeborah)
    The textual analysis was a bit pooey. I did the language change as there was so much you could write about.

Two more English left. How's everyone feeling about the synoptic on Monday?
    I don't see why everyones complaining about the textual analysis, there was plenty to talk about... The syntax and grammar was a complete disaster, weird graphology, archaisms, changes in semantics, unusual tenor...

The second part was ok, i did question 2. i was slightly disappointed that i couldn't talk about estuary or any phonological features....

As for the synoptic, i'm revising for it now! I just hope it isn't a radio show, i'm hopeless...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobDukesteez)
    I've got my exam in like 3 days.

does anyone know where i can go and buy the official revision book/guide for this course?

Wham.
    yeah imelda pilgrim sepcification A
    Amazon should do it

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 23, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.