Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I was wondering if anyone has any information on what happens on our results day? I think I understand that if you make either of your two offers then you go there, but if you miss then you go into clearing.
    How does clearing work? Do you phone up a number and they put you intouch with certain universities, or do you phone up each university individually? Is it wise to make a list beforehand? how likely is it to get accepted on a course having been failed on your first two choices? Is it better to take a year out and get a job and re apply?

Any info would be most helpful!!! thanks!

ReputationRep:
    i think u fone up ureself....diffrnt skulz have diffrnt procedures...ma skul will have a fone desk set up

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Clearning is designed for people who fail to get their offers, so it is very likely you will get on a course even though you've failed to get into your top tow choices.

How it works is, look at a clearing guide...the independent has a great one, and in there you find all the uni's the do a course your interested in, then you ring up the universities directly. I wouldnt' say its very wise to make a consise list before hand, because noone know too far in advance how many places there will be....but it might be worth thinking about where your prepared to go, so if you live in london you may decide that lincon in the most north that you are prepared to go....

No its not worth taking a year out getting a job and reapplying as you'll stil have the same A-levels, and the same opertunities will be availible to you.

love Katy***

ReputationRep:
    should u ring up ur original uni's 1st? or will they let u no? I wana do psych and its v competitive so the likely hood will b that i dont go 2 a uni of my choice if i do rubbish in my exams!

ReputationRep:
    i thought if we don't get what we need, we immediately phone up the university. this is what we were told to do. the university might decide to give you your place anyway... especially if you're not far off the marks you needed... otherwise they might offer you a place in a different course. if this doesn't happen or if you don't like what they offer you, then you go into clearing.... but i think ucas contact you about that then... ???

ReputationRep:
    Its rele not clear at all!! Iv bin told by ppl at uni 2 call up unis b4 clearing opens to see wot places r free..... i guess its all about gettin there 1st b4 the competition!

ReputationRep:
    Don't automatically assume, if your firm offer is ABB, your insurance is BBB and you get BBB, that you're going to your insurance. Similarly, if you get BBC and so miss both offers, don't automatically assume your only option is clearing. It's definitely worth phoning the universities first to see if they'll still accept you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Don't automatically assume, if your firm offer is ABB, your insurance is BBB and you get BBB, that you're going to your insurance. Similarly, if you get BBC and so miss both offers, don't automatically assume your only option is clearing. It's definitely worth phoning the universities first to see if they'll still accept you.
    I've also heard it's best to ring both firm and insurance first.

No its not worth taking a year out getting a job and reapplying as you'll stil have the same A-levels, and the same opertunities will be availible to you.
    I'd have to disagree with that in some cases. The range of universities and courses in clearing is smaller. If you were to get something like ABB it might be well worth reapplying the next year.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't get into your first choice uni, and if your insurance offer asks for, say, BBB, and you get those grades, are you guaranteed a place there? or is it like clearing, depending on how many places there are available?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    I disagree with that aswell.

If someone with an AAA offer and AAB insurance in a competitive course but gets ABB the chances are most clearing courses will be for much lower grades, whereas if they reapply they can have a shot at places asking for ABB/BBB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theisticandy)
    Hiya, I was wondering if anyone has any information on what happens on our results day? I think I understand that if you make either of your two offers then you go there, but if you miss then you go into clearing.
    How does clearing work? Do you phone up a number and they put you intouch with certain universities, or do you phone up each university individually? Is it wise to make a list beforehand? how likely is it to get accepted on a course having been failed on your first two choices? Is it better to take a year out and get a job and re apply?

Any info would be most helpful!!! thanks!
    The answer has been explained by ickle_katy. I would just like to add when you are eligible for clearing, you will get sent a clearing entry form (CEF), where you can fill it in with your grades and the choices. For more information refer here: http://www.ucas.ac.uk/clearing/ (click on the links on the left hand side for more details).

When you phone them, they would will ask you some questions, like a mini interview.

If your firm and insurance choice don't accept you, and you don't like the choices in clearing, you could re-apply again while re-taking some A-levels if you want. Sometimes when you miss your offers, they might still might take you.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for the ino, its most helpful, however I kinda have anothe query which I is fairly specific to my situation

At the moment I'm doing Physics, Mathematics, Economics and General studies all to A2, and I'm doing Business studies AS (+ last year I did computing AS)

Math predicted grade is a B -> possible A, but unsure
    Economics predicted grade is an A -> i'm kinda worried about dropping this though
    General studies is an A -> That will be no problem
    Physics is a D -> This subject is my achilles heel, I am dreading it, I really do not understand it
    Business studies AS predicted an A
    and Computing I got a C at AS

Now my offer from my universities (to do economics) were
    Firm = 300 UCAS points over 3 A2 levels no grade below a C, does no count general studies
    Insurance = 280 UCAS points over 3 A2 levels no grade below a C, does no count general studies

I feel that I am almost destined to get a D or below in physics, and due to this and my offers it appears that I will not make it in. How likely is it for a university to allow a student on a course despite having a D grade?
    What I was thinking is that if I do not get a place in university maybe I should retake the upper 6th year and do further maths to replace physics and then re-apply, is this a viable option or would I get prejudiced by the universities to which I apply due to having to retake the year?
    Does my general studies mark count for anything?

Any information would be really useful - especially regarding the question - 'If I can get the same amount of UCAS points as my offer states, however have a grade below a C, do I stand much chance of getting on the course?

ReputationRep:
    300 points is equivalent to BBB, and 280 points is BBC. However, since it's in the tariff system, you can get any grade combination, but not having grade D's though, as your offer does not allow grade D's.

If you get agrade D when you see your results, the firm or insurance might take you on if they still have space.

I don't think they mind you re-taking A-levels. When you take futher maths to replace physics, make sure you decline A-level physics. Therefore, you don't need to put your physics grade in your UCAS application form when you re-apply.

According to your offers it says 'does not count general studies'. This signifies that they don't include GS in your offer.

ReputationRep:
    thankz for the neg rep... just tryin 2 help...got it thrown bak in ma face...

ReputationRep:
    By the way could you define proper english and I will make sure i use it in your presence 'Great one'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theisticandy)
    Thankyou for the ino, its most helpful, however I kinda have anothe query which I is fairly specific to my situation

At the moment I'm doing Physics, Mathematics, Economics and General studies all to A2, and I'm doing Business studies AS (+ last year I did computing AS)

Math predicted grade is a B -> possible A, but unsure
    Economics predicted grade is an A -> i'm kinda worried about dropping this though
    General studies is an A -> That will be no problem
    Physics is a D -> This subject is my achilles heel, I am dreading it, I really do not understand it
    Business studies AS predicted an A
    and Computing I got a C at AS

Now my offer from my universities (to do economics) were
    Firm = 300 UCAS points over 3 A2 levels no grade below a C, does no count general studies
    Insurance = 280 UCAS points over 3 A2 levels no grade below a C, does no count general studies

I feel that I am almost destined to get a D or below in physics, and due to this and my offers it appears that I will not make it in. How likely is it for a university to allow a student on a course despite having a D grade?
    What I was thinking is that if I do not get a place in university maybe I should retake the upper 6th year and do further maths to replace physics and then re-apply, is this a viable option or would I get prejudiced by the universities to which I apply due to having to retake the year?
    Does my general studies mark count for anything?

Any information would be really useful - especially regarding the question - 'If I can get the same amount of UCAS points as my offer states, however have a grade below a C, do I stand much chance of getting on the course?
    It's pretty unusual for a university that uses the UCAS tariff to specify that all grades must be C or above, and since physics is completely unrelated to economics, I can't see why they'd reject you for getting a D in it if you still met the 300 points, especially if it was a high D. To get 300 points from 3 A-levels, you could get AAD, and having As in economics and maths would definitely help your case. You could use that, your UMS marks, your general studies grade and your extra AS grades to plead your case on results day. I think it's quite unlikely that you'd be rejected from both universities on the basis that you got a D in physics even though you got enough points and got As in the related subjects, but then again, I don't know how competitive your course is. If you do get rejected from both your firm and insurance choices and don't want to go through clearing, you could just reapply with AAADac/AABDac and choose universities that don't have specific grade requirements, or even decline your physics grade and apply with AAAac/AABac to universities that accept general studies or accept 2 ASs as 1 A2, so you wouldn't need to resit anything.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.