Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just done the exam and was wondering what others thought of it, in particular William Blake and King Lear. Thought they were both reasonable just wish I'd has more time.

ReputationRep:
    I did Willie Blake and Measure for Measure.

I personally thought the "simplistic language" question was far too contracted, and the "indignance and compassion" question quite confusiong and broad. Still, I blagged the latter.

Measure for Measure questions were beautiful! Isabella all the way

ReputationRep:
    I was DREADING that exam, it went alright though. I managed to get in lots of different critical viewpoints and alternative interpretations. I did PARADISE LOST - the Satan question. I mostly agreed with the quote that he is the embodiment of evil.
    For B I did Measure for Measure, most of my friends did the Isabella question but I really don't like her as a character, so I did a). I think it went OK. Fingers crossed. Anyone else do these questions?

ReputationRep:
    Blake was a excellent - simple language question meant I could rabbit on about his ideas for ages, and then say that its not all just simple langauge (dense imagery, ambilence etc). Wasn't a fantastic essay, but I reckon I will have got a B on it.

Lear question was good, but I didnt analyse that well, hopefully get a B on that also.

ReputationRep:
    the simple language question for blake was a nice chance to talk about my ideas about the hymnic qualities his verse shares with that of spenser.

lear questions were too similar. and the 1st one was something to disagree rather than agree with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silence)
    the simple language question for blake was a nice chance to talk about my ideas about the hymnic qualities his verse shares with that of spenser.

lear questions were too similar. and the 1st one was something to disagree rather than agree with.
    Yeah, definetly. Cordelia was the only one who was virteous and falls (although, you could argue Lear was virteous by the end). Edgar rises, Edmund falls....I just concluded that the wicked only prosper for a short time and that the virteous still tend to finish on top but at the expense of other virteous people (Cordelia, Kent etc.). I hope that was alright!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Yeah, definetly. Cordelia was the only one who was virteous and falls (although, you could argue Lear was virteous by the end). Edgar rises, Edmund falls....I just concluded that the wicked only prosper for a short time and that the virteous still tend to finish on top but at the expense of other virteous people (Cordelia, Kent etc.). I hope that was alright!
    I took the humanist viewpoint and said that all actions follow on from the inceptive moments of the 'division of the kingdom' and Gloster's acknowledgement of the 'loyal and natural boy' Edmund - that nature is apparantly without Gods and therefore the idea of wicked and virtuous failing or prospering in some inverted Christian ethic was flawed.

Writing that now, it sounds like a loads of balls to me....but it felt right at the time.... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and also that those who can be defined as 'Wicked' only gain power and influence in the subversive and radical world after I, i and before V,iii, when the status quo is returned.

ReputationRep:
    i just found my copy of king lear! i almost stumbled when i... actually no.

but it's rather ironic.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.