Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I done the religious question for Blake which was OK, and the tragic hero for Othello which I really struggled with. I have done FOUR exams today and my hand feels likeis is about to drop off!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahollisan)
    gosh am i the only one that did blake the romantic
    Nope, I did too! I didn't like the idea of being constrained to only five poems, plus my mind went blank and I couldn't think of what poems I'd use!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    Nope, I did too! I didn't like the idea of being constrained to only five poems, plus my mind went blank and I couldn't think of what poems I'd use!
    thank goodness i was thinking i picked the harder of the two questions

ReputationRep:
    it obv wasnt the harder of the 2 questions for you else you wouldnt have done it! lol

ReputationRep:
    Was relatively pleased with the questions, I chose "tragic hero" for Othello and Keats "harsh reality". Thought these questions were a lot better than some of the past papers I've seen- reckon I've done OK for these two, not the best essays I've ever written but it wasn't too bad overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahollisan)
    thank goodness i was thinking i picked the harder of the two questions
    Lol, I think they were of a similar level of difficulty if one wanted to do them well. Also, it's a question of what's easier for you given how much you'd revised certain topics. I only revised for the exam this morning because I've had to give priority to psychology which is by far my weakest subject!!

ReputationRep:
    For Othello I did the "tragic hero/self-deluded" question, which was a nice question but I don't think I included enough language analysis, though was quite proud of my conclusion where I said that Iago was the deluder of Othello

For Keats I did the "harsh realities" one because it meant I could talk about the odes and Bright Star, which are my favourites, think it went okay.

ReputationRep:
    For Blake I did the religious one and the 5 poems I used were Lamb, Tyger, Chimney Sweeper x 2 and Garden of Love. I didnt have enough time to write enough and I don't think I mentioned form enough

Also did Merchant of Venice which was a little better ( the justice and mercy question ) but again I didnt have enough time to put everything I wanted to. Waffle waffle waffle.

ReputationRep:
    how much did you write for both essays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spoon)
    how much did you write for both essays?
    I wrote about six pages for the first question and six and a bit for the second (needed an extra sheet).

ReputationRep:
    Erm, i was like wtf is this about the Willow Scene, I knew what it was but seriously a question on it, lol, and why call it the willow scene?!

So i did the tragic hero and self delluded stories. I argued tht both critical opinions could be verified by the text etc. I said Othello lived his life as a fairytale, telling himself that being from 'royal seige' etc meant that he was equal when in fact he was seen as an inferior in venetian society which he didn't understand.

I said he believed his own rhetoric, for example saying the handkerchief was given by an egyptian etc, he internalised and solidified his own rhetoric and therefore made it part of himself, believing it true therefore giving him further fuel.

Altho i argued that Iago was the biggest story teller delluder and argued that Iago was a projection of othello's self dillusion and that 'I am not what i am' was a subconscious wink.

I did Religion mainly because i don't think that Blake is a romantic poet, hes v mhc romantic crossed with neo-classic and i dnt know anytihng about either.

religion i *****ed about the church then discussed the ideas of Swedenborg, talked about dual vision in Holy Thursday etc, worship of nature in lamb etc. I concluded saying that 'A close analysis of blake's songs show that he was a deeply spiritual man and a profoundly religious individual. However, like with all things with Blake, his interpretation of religion was somewhat far removed from the convention....' lol.

Did anyone find it really hard to get a lot of language/form/structure/metre analysis into this question. I got quite a bit in but still it was a struggle.

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to say which poems I used for Blake...chimney sweeper x2, garden of love, little boy found, london. I did the tragic hero question for othello, but i completely disagreed with him being 'self-deluded' so I found it hard to write about that one. I covered 18sides in total, although I always leave the first half a page blank and I left a side or 2 sides (cant quite remember) in between the questions. For some reason I did Blake first....not quite sure why though!

P.S. 4 exams in one day!??! how??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachplatt)
    For some reason I did Blake first....not quite sure why though!
    FOr some reason I was expecting Blake to be the first question on the paper, but I still did Malfi first. I don't think it made much difference in the end because I liked both questions!

ReputationRep:
    I think that is what it was, I had expected Blake to be first, so I was in a Blakeish frame of mind! lol! I had to do it first and get rid of my Blake knowledge before I tried to find some Othello!

ReputationRep:
    I loved that Othello question, simply because I knew loads of critical quotes relating to it.

I said;
    1. tragic hero, because he is different and his differences are played on
    2. tragic hero, due to the motiveless malignancy of Iago, thus the tragic element is heightened as it seems that both Desdemona and Othello die in vain
    3. could be perceived to be the fault of circumstance, Brabantio saying she would deceive her father and thus would Othello, plants the idea in his mind…

HOWEVER…

4. on the other hand, the idea grows as a result of his own imagination, his own story-telling
    5. his own fault, looked at his speech and how he thinks in images, his seemingly one dimensional/simplistic characterisation using binary opposition and that as such, Iago's prompts (Ha! I like not that) show that ultimately his inability to understand ambiguous statements and his plunge into confusion are a result of himself
    6. some have suggested Iago to be the dark side of Othello himself, Shakespeare making a comment on human nature, and how we - due to our own insecurities - often doubt that our lovers are not faithful

And then a conclusion where I babbled on about ‘as a modern audience member, one would…’

For Keats, things went a big wrong, but never mind

I panicked a bit and shoved in everything I could think of. I did;

1. A desire to be what other Romantics were, he was a Cockney and did not necessarily fit in, and how some view Psyche as a cry for the natural inspiration of the poet (Psyche)
    2. Escape with relation to romanticism, intoxication - however, he considers but declines it (Melancholy, Nightingale) however…
    3. Lamia denies rational thought ‘Philosophy clips an Angel’s wings’ suggesting that Keats likes to escape to the imagination
    4. The world of dreams (Nightingale, Eve of St. Agnes) and their ambiguity, overlap with reality and intoxicating value
    5. Immortality (Nightingale, Grecian Urn - also perfection, and neo-classicism - Autumn)
    6. Realisation and acceptance of hardships with reference to negative capability
    7. Conclusion

ReputationRep:
    Hiya can I just ask why people seem to have picked the chimney sweeper with ref to Blakes religious beliefs?? Slightly worried as have obviously done whole essay wrong!! I did garden of love, holy thursday (inn) the lamb+the shepherd and then little boy lost, concluding he was against the church but not religion in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlC)
    Hiya can I just ask why people seem to have picked the chimney sweeper with ref to Blakes religious beliefs?? Slightly worried as have obviously done whole essay wrong!! I did garden of love, holy thursday (inn) the lamb+the shepherd and then little boy lost, concluding he was against the church but not religion in general.
    Didn't do the religion question, but the Chimney Sweeper poems are about the abuse of religion to exploit the vulnerable, to summarise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonSteve181)
    Erm, i was like wtf is this about the Willow Scene, I knew what it was but seriously a question on it, lol, and why call it the willow scene?!

So i did the tragic hero and self delluded stories. I argued tht both critical opinions could be verified by the text etc. I said Othello lived his life as a fairytale, telling himself that being from 'royal seige' etc meant that he was equal when in fact he was seen as an inferior in venetian society which he didn't understand.

I said he believed his own rhetoric, for example saying the handkerchief was given by an egyptian etc, he internalised and solidified his own rhetoric and therefore made it part of himself, believing it true therefore giving him further fuel.

Altho i argued that Iago was the biggest story teller delluder and argued that Iago was a projection of othello's self dillusion and that 'I am not what i am' was a subconscious wink.

I did Religion mainly because i don't think that Blake is a romantic poet, hes v mhc romantic crossed with neo-classic and i dnt know anytihng about either.

religion i *****ed about the church then discussed the ideas of Swedenborg, talked about dual vision in Holy Thursday etc, worship of nature in lamb etc. I concluded saying that 'A close analysis of blake's songs show that he was a deeply spiritual man and a profoundly religious individual. However, like with all things with Blake, his interpretation of religion was somewhat far removed from the convention....' lol.

Did anyone find it really hard to get a lot of language/form/structure/metre analysis into this question. I got quite a bit in but still it was a struggle.
    Wow i think our conclusions were identical, practically word to word! in fact your essay sounds quite like mine but i didn't talk about holy thursday but did talk about the suggestions of humanism in cradle song.

ReputationRep:
    OMG, the keats and othello questions were total peaches. LOVED IT!!!!! PHEW, makes up for the bad synoptic papier....

ReputationRep:
    Nooooooooooo! i did the romanticist question, although I've asked everyone else who sat the paper and they did the religion question. I kinda regretted it half way through by I think i wrote a good essay in the end!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 29, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.