Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    loved the othello and keats questions..could of hoped for better..
    someone with a good memory should type the questions up for future students..
    no more english for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joisatiger)
    Nooooooooooo! i did the romanticist question, although I've asked everyone else who sat the paper and they did the religion question. I kinda regretted it half way through by I think i wrote a good essay in the end!
    What did you write about, out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    I did the second Othello question and chose religion for Blake, which seemed to be the way most people went. Very happy with the questions - the Othello question in particular as it reminded me of a past paper I did a while ago (asking whether Othello had any universal message, or whether it was just a 'personal tragedy'). I used TS Eliot's quote about him 'cheering himself up' to promote the notion that he was self obsessed, but eventually came to the conclusion that the first quote was more valid than the second.

As for Blake, I did next to no revision but the question played right into my hands (at least I hope it did!) - Lamb, Tyger, Shepherd, London, Chimney Sweeper. I argued that despite his obvious distaste for organised religion and its followers, he retained a strong spirituality. He had his own unique faith, if you will.

ReputationRep:
    Malfi- did the sex and violence one- lotsa incest. Think it went well- hell yeah. I argued that Webster's main 'purpose' was not just to titillate the audience but to indict a corrupt society.

For Blake, did the religion question: looked at Holy Thursday x 2, Chimney Sweeper x 2, Garden of Love and snuck in a bit of The Little Vagabond and The Little Boy Lost. Thought it went well, until I read these posts! I reckon I also banged on about his hatred of conventional, organised church/religion too much rather than illustrating what he does indeed believe. Mentioned his 'mythology' Los, Orc, Urizen etc, but that wasn't really relevent to what the 'Songs' show us of his beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt use the chimney sweeper poems, i was going to given the highly ironic lines 'so if all do their duty they need not fear harm' but i had used garden of love and a little boy lost to criticise the church and needed to focus more on his personal beliefs.

i dont know, i didnt feel what i wrote was all that decent really, my othello looking back was just a load of garble! even though i did know what i was talking about i didnt put it across very well bah!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    I did pretty much the same as the majority - Othello question (not willow) and Religion!
    I found blake soooo nice! I used Garden of Love, London, The Shepherd, The Divine Image, The Human Abstract. I was a bit annoyed we could only use 5 - i could've used about 10! So wanted to snip in bits about little black boy, chimney sweeper, holy thursday! Little boy lost i knew would've been another crucual one, but i didnt want to dominate my essay with poems on his criticism for the est. church so i moved on to talk about his view of the human form and how our relationships should be with eachother.
    Othello i'm not so sure on how i did. I think i argued well but for self delusion i didnt use a lot of the great stufff others did
    I said that Iago only suggests he watches Desdemona with cassio, never says they have been together - Othello then devises in his own imagination flaws in his marriage (his race, age, brabantios warning). Waffled on about the time structure making his stories 'deluded' cos they dont make sense and his general stubborness. Others have used the stories of his war adventures as important but i didnt look at 'story' in this context so unsure if i've lost out on marks.
    However tragic hero... i was rolling! Also ended to say that i think Othello was a tragic hero trapped in a society that he thought he could trust and be on an equal with and that his role as an outsider made it easier to create his downfall.

Only one more module to go! Come on LTA5!!!

ReputationRep:
    w00t! That was one of the easist exams I have done! The questions were all okay, and got everything I had to say in the questions I answered!

ReputationRep:
    I liked the 'Othello' questions... I did the 'willow scene' one because we'd done a lot on it, and then I did the Romanticism one for Blake because I didn't want to stick to five poems, lol. I think it was alright...

ReputationRep:
    lol, did anyone else think that exam was freakishly short?! I did the religion one for blake and the one about Othello as a 'self-deluding' chap of some sort...i'm slightly worried as everyone else in my class (all 2 of them) wrote double the amount for Othello as they did for Blake, but I wrote the same...oh deary me :-(

ReputationRep:
    i cant write a good english essay in 1 hr lol, its just impossible for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carolinequick)
    lol, did anyone else think that exam was freakishly short?! I did the religion one for blake and the one about Othello as a 'self-deluding' chap of some sort...i'm slightly worried as everyone else in my class (all 2 of them) wrote double the amount for Othello as they did for Blake, but I wrote the same...oh deary me :-(
    I got to the bottom of page 8 and wrote roughly 3 1/2 pages for each question. I'm amazed when people fill their answer books - presumably people just warble on like mad old types.

ReputationRep:
    that's what i hope anyway...has anybody got an exam on sacred hunger and hawksmoor tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    i fill my answer booklets, but then my handwriting is terrbile in exams and takes up alot of space, and i often do full page plans etc etc. And generally i do just write alot, but thats me all over!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, i just remembered the comical ending of my Blake essay, including the cheesy climax of there being "no light without dark, no joy without sorrow, and no innocence without experience.." hmmmm it seemed like a good i dea at the time, but now i'm laughing at myself alot!!

ReputationRep:
    I got 16 pages done in quite small writing. Keats's desire to escape was orgasmic. I saw the question through the back of the paper 5 mins b4 exam began and was straight into the essay the minute i was told to start tehehe (did keats first). Othello was excellent also, esp tragic hero. Even if you were rusty with the play you couldve gotten a good mark.

some points for self-deluded:

1. initiates the hankerchief incident himself when he tells Desdemona to leave it when she drops it.
    2. Gets married behind Brabantio's. back. Injects an ominous tone instantly.
    3. He watches Iago's and Cassio's interchange thinking Cassio is laughing over his affair with Desdemona. He doesnt know what he is saying hence proving his delusion.
    there's lots more but I forget!

tragic hero:

IAGO's influence basically answered this.

Hope everyone did well! It certainly was a very writable exam, even for those people who had biology A mod6 just before with 15 MINUTES between that and english! Just enough time to run to the shop and toilet for coke and pee respectively.

ReputationRep:
    Glad you went on the same lines as me!
    As for length, i was so proud that i managed to finish my book for my history exam the other day and do another side... i never do that! hehe
    I think my othello was slightly longer. I spent over an hour on that one, and just about 45 minutes on blake.

ReputationRep:
    I did the Blake religion question, as did the majority of my class! Was so happy when I saw the Blake and Othello questions!! My mind went blank on Othello quotes, and as it was closed book = not v. good! I also waffled A LOT in both questions, especially on Blake, wnt off on a tangent aabout children!oops!

ReputationRep:
    I did Othello and Blake, did the question on whether Othello was a tragic hero or result of his own stories, thought that was OK but I probably didnt get enought quotations in. With the Blake I couldnt remember enough about romanticism so did the religion one, got in some good stuff about comparing the 2 books to the old and new testaments, but that the essential message was different in Blake's view....reading it back now though it all sounds wrong :P

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had done the Willow Question, was thinking about it last night, as i do after all my exams (must discourage tihs over analysis after exams). It looks like everyone has done Othello stories/tragedy and Blake religion meaning those who get As will have to have fantastic answers due to the heavy competition.

And as for whoever said about their corny ending to the Blake essay, I feel for you, i ended with saying that his religion was about freedom, love, spirituality and in essence trying to show his contemporaries that what their lives were based on was in fact 'not a holy thing to say'.

There is however some excellent ideas on this board, it looks as if people are going to do really well. Does anyone else feel as though these exams have gone so fast, seems only yesterday i was retaking my french AS paper in May!

ReputationRep:
    yeh exams... 6th form etc all gone way too fast!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 29, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.