Turn on thread page Beta

Subvert Individuality for the common good? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    You are that naturally, or you also aspire to be like that?
    Am naturally. I come from a stoical people.

Thought my instincts were right...very interesting...i would guess many aspire in the oppisite direction, when they truly ARE hollow

As an aside..the theory isn't hard to develop, they're invariably the kinds of people who know virtually zero about music, or "don't like music"(how is that possible? :eek: ), don't express any non-objective feeling about anything.. etc, etc... these must be the marks of soullessness....
    I think even the hardest nuts to crack can enjoy some occasional frivolity, provided it is kept in its proper place and does not intervere with important matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyHappyEnding)
    Both Hitelers Germany and Mussolinis Italy economically were sound and infact quite prosperous??
    They were nowhere close to being economically sound. The decrease in unemployment in those countries was based on a gigantic military buildup, which was unsustainable in the long term.

And are you saying that you would prefer to live in Hitler's Germany or Mussolini's Italy merely because they might have had good economies?

ReputationRep:
    The subversion of the individual to a common good is nothing more than creeping authoritarianism.

Society, for myself, is nothing more than an aggregation of individuals - some of which share similar interests and that is why we have pressure groups and so forth. The notion of a 'common good' for society is ultimatley confused as where exactly do we dervive this 'common good' from this multitude of differing individual interests?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    The subversion of the individual to a common good is nothing more than creeping authoritarianism.

Society, for myself, is nothing more than an aggregation of individuals - some of which share similar interests and that is why we have pressure groups and so forth. The notion of a 'common good' for society is ultimatley confused as where exactly do we dervive this 'common good' from this multitude of differing individual interests?
    From our benevolent leaders who both know what is in our interest and how to accomplish what we can't accomplish for ourselves. :rolleyes:

Either that or power hungry politicians who serve only one interest, that being their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    From our benevolent leaders who both know what is in our interest and how to accomplish what we can't accomplish for ourselves. :rolleyes:

Either that or power hungry politicians who serve only one interest, that being their own.
    Oh. Do excuse me. I forgot about our demi-god politicians. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Oh. Do excuse me. I forgot about our demi-god politicians. :p:
    You mean you don't believe that politicians act solely in the interest of the public? :eek:

(Original post by psychic_satori)
    More progress is brought about by greedy individualists than by sappy, hand-holding, hemp-clad crystal-grippers.
    What'sa crystal gripper??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    What'sa crystal gripper??
    A hippy-ish, spiritualist who would be the type to believe that crystals or other charms have mystical powers to heal/predict the future/end poverty/bring back the days of free love.

ReputationRep:
    Am naturally. I come from a stoical people.
    Are you implying Europeans aren't? :p: They've had to endure plenty with stoicism....

ReputationRep:
    Are you implying Europeans aren't? :p: They've had to endure plenty with stoicism....
    I was meaning it on more of a familial basis.

ReputationRep:
    I was meaning it on more of a familial basis.
    Just checking...

ReputationRep:
    Just checking...
    No worries--I'm not ENTIRELY humorless

A hippy-ish, spiritualist who would be the type to believe that crystals or other charms have mystical powers to heal/predict the future/end poverty/bring back the days of free love.
    Oh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Oh

Well, I think I probably made the term up myself, so it's understandable to not consider it old hat.

Well, I think I probably made the term up myself, so it's understandable to not consider it old hat.
    Well anyway, I agree with the statement. Although, I was pondering post 5 (jonD) thinking of a snappy comeback.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    And are you saying that you would prefer to live in Hitler's Germany or Mussolini's Italy merely because they might have had good economies?
    I would of fitted the Teuton traits quite well so i doubt there would of been any problem of me fitting into such regimes, although i would have prefered if they had targetted islam

ReputationRep:
    So you don't mind eating rye bread and not having any personal liberties?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    So you don't mind eating rye bread and not having any personal liberties?
    I hate this notion of personal liberties, people take it too far. they think that we're gonna wake up one day with a government agent saying its time for work on a monitor. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Anyone who says other wise is just trying to jump on the ban-wagon just because they oppose the government.
    The sooner people realise that, the better. period

ReputationRep:
    I hate this notion of personal liberties, people take it too far. they think that we're gonna wake up one day with a government agent saying its time for work on a monitor. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Anyone who says other wise is just trying to jump on the ban-wagon just because they oppose the government.
    I think you should volunteer to have your rights taken away, to show all those loony libertarians how very silly they're being.

ReputationRep:
    Dude, we are talking about the Third Reich here. Do you really think it had the right balance of liberty and common good?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.