Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just talking to my mum about how school is allowing us to choose whether we want to do A2 General Studies.

I told her that I put my name down and would see if I could just skive the lessons and sit the exams. If school started having a go at me for missing lessons, then I would just drop it.

But then she asked, why not drop GS and continue with 4 A2s. I was a bit relunctant, but then thought it might be manageable. By the time June exams come I would have in total, 6 exams, if there are no retakes...

Physics: Synoptic, Mod 6. (I believe)
    Maths: C4, M1
    Eco: Just 1 exam
    Chem: Possibly two exams.

Make that 7 exams.. What are your thoughts on this?

ReputationRep:
    I do 4! slightly more work from AS but hardly noticeable! If you are willing to keep on top of it you will be fine... if you are planning on doing 4 including general studies then I don't see any point, no uni even classes it as anything so you might as well carry on with all four subjects or just do 3

ReputationRep:
    I would drop GS, as not many uni's accept them and don't include them in the offer details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I would drop GS, as not many uni's accept them and don't include them in the offer details.
    *Moderates*

ReputationRep:
    You could still take on GS if you want, as there's not much stuff to study. You can't prepare for it, and it's kind of easy to get a good grade. Therefore it's an extra qualification for you.

ReputationRep:
    Well, i took 5 A2's including General Studies. I didn't go to any General studies lessons really, except when the head of VI form made us. It is CRAP. Just read the paper and you will be fine. A lot of ppl have now said to me that they wish they had done 4, because if your finals go a bit iffy, then you still have enough good grades/points, as virtually no top 10/20 uni accepts GS. As long as it isn't 4 sci A2's then the workload will be fine, as i did Media Studies in addition to Maths, ICT, and Eng Lit as a kind of goof off. 4 A2's will always look good in the competitive fields for uni places, makes yu stand out.

ReputationRep:
    I don't do General Studies, so I can't comment on it personally, but everyone says it's really easy and you can get a decent grade with no work. Considering the top universities don't accept it, there must be some truth in that statement, so you might as well carry on with it and get an extra qualification, as Trev said. If you enjoy all your subjects and have found the workload this year manageable, carry on with 4 proper A2s to begin with and you can always drop one if it's too much.

ReputationRep:
    in my AS class General Studies there was one B, one C and the rest were E's and U's and that was from people not attending the lessons.

ReputationRep:
    I attended about 8 out of 20 lessons and got an A in January in that module, after that I only attended 2 GS lessons for the Summer exams, I would never have sat the exam had it not been compulsary.

ReputationRep:
    Remember people though not everyone does apply to the top 10/20 Unis, there another 80 odd for a reason! Plus, I know that Manchester does accept it and that is one of the better Unis going...

And as I changed College for my A2s, I have done the A2 without any lessons at all. In January I got 100% in both the modules (although this was with AQA, other boards are more challenging).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sokas)
    I do 4! slightly more work from AS but hardly noticeable! If you are willing to keep on top of it you will be fine... if you are planning on doing 4 including general studies then I don't see any point, no uni even classes it as anything so you might as well carry on with all four subjects or just do 3
    maybe cos psychology is a BS subject? hehe. enjoy it for uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sokas)
    Looks like you do five?

ReputationRep:
    I did 5 AS levels if you include critical thinking, economics and business are combined

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alcohol5%)
    I was just talking to my mum about how school is allowing us to choose whether we want to do A2 General Studies.

I told her that I put my name down and would see if I could just skive the lessons and sit the exams. If school started having a go at me for missing lessons, then I would just drop it.

But then she asked, why not drop GS and continue with 4 A2s. I was a bit relunctant, but then thought it might be manageable. By the time June exams come I would have in total, 6 exams, if there are no retakes...

Physics: Synoptic, Mod 6. (I believe)
    Maths: C4, M1
    Eco: Just 1 exam
    Chem: Possibly two exams.

Make that 7 exams.. What are your thoughts on this?
    I did similar subjects and i didn't have to do GS either and by the sounds my friends are makeing i am not missing anything, if you are applying to top Uni's they wont accept it either so there really doesn't seam to be a benefit in taking it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatyouaspireto)
    maybe cos psychology is a BS subject? hehe. enjoy it for uni...
    a BS subject? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sokas)
    a BS subject? :confused:
    BS is a swear word.

ReputationRep:
    ohh I see, well I won't lower myself to retaliate to that

ReputationRep:
    My school never even gave us any lessons in general studies, we just sat the exam. I've taken it on to A2 and some top unis will accept it because york and st. andrews will have it from me.

ReputationRep:
    I did four and as long as you keep on top of the work you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    GS shouldn't make a difference to the other A levels you do. Do you know yet to which universities you might apply, and if they might accept GS? If any of them do, then it might be worth your while doing it, as it's easy marks and might help you get into uni. If not, there's really no point.

None of Edinburgh, King's, Manchester, Newcastle, Oxford, and UCL accepted General Studies from me.

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.