Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    LOL no, that's to stop people who are looking at your computer from knowing where you've been.

The people providing the connection (i.e. the university's IT department) will see a log of all the requested pages and the clients (machines and users) requesting them - only they have access to the log and only they can clear their list.

ReputationRep:
    so can you play LAN games?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WQtRiggEr)
    so can you play LAN games?
    When I went to an open day, there was some students playing LAN games. :eek: I think it's allowed? It's better to ask though, as you don't want to get in trouble.

ReputationRep:
    And this is why you bring your own Laptop to Uni...I'll take my PowerBook to a wireless hotspot or something to download what I want. At Uni, I'll have a careful look through their usage policy first. I'll probably have a lot more freedom on my computer than those directly connected to the Uni network, although a lot of sites could be blocked by the router.

And there's no way they'll ask to look through your computer. I'll have 'unlicensed' Photoshop, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let some IT Administrator sift through my hard drive. They wouldn't invade your privacy like that, anyway.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by trev)
    Do you think they would let us download software updates such as windows updates, anti-virus/anti-spyware definitions, etc...?
    Absolutely - they'd really be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't cos if you don't update your definitions regularly, you're leaving yourself open to attack and they probably don't want infected computers on their network :p:
    (Original post by trev)
    Most p2p downloading is mostly illegal though. What kind of stuff can people download from p2p is legal?
    Well I'll admit it's unlikely, but if you were sharing something you'd created yourself (for example, say you'd recorded a song with your band) then that would be completely legal. That's one of the main reasons it's difficult to shut down p2p software things - they do have a legitimate use so the creators just point that out and say they can't be held responsible for how people use their software.
    (Original post by WQtRiggEr)
    so you can play LAN games?
    Sometimes - it depends on the network. Best to check with the university. We didn't have any trouble playing games over our LAN in halls but when we tried to host games to the "outside world" (i.e. over the internet), we drew a blank.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennLlama)
    Absolutely - they'd really be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't cos if you don't update your definitions regularly, you're leaving yourself open to attack and they probably don't want infected computers on their network :p:

Well I'll admit it's unlikely, but if you were sharing something you'd created yourself (for example, say you'd recorded a song with your band) then that would be completely legal. That's one of the main reasons it's difficult to shut down p2p software things - they do have a legitimate use so the creators just point that out and say they can't be held responsible for how people use their software.

Sometimes - it depends on the network. Best to check with the university. We didn't have any trouble playing games over our LAN in halls but when we tried to host games to the "outside world" (i.e. over the internet), we drew a blank.
    Jenn xx
    Thanks for the information. I think the uni's block all the possible ports for p2p software, so no one can be able to connect and download. For the LAN game thing, there's no rules against that though. :p: I'm not planning to host a game to the 'outside world' if I'm going to play. Playing LAN games over the uni's network will be good, so there won't be any lagging.

Does the uni restrict sending files from instant messenger to other instant messengers?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2005
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.