Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I read on one of the forums on this website that if you get the full 20% in your coursework you only need about 64% for an A*. Can someone tell me how much I need for an 'A' please. Also if someone can give me a website where I can get the level thresholds, then that would be appreciated. Thanx

ReputationRep:
    I think you would need about 50% in the exam to get an A if you got full marks for the coursework.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikesgt2)
    I think you would need about 50% in the exam to get an A if you got full marks for the coursework.
    Thanx, that is all i need to know.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but to get 8|8|8 for coursework you have to go into A-level stuff... I don't know whether that would be using techniques that are learned at A-level not GCSE, or would it be doing "A-Level Standard" stuff, like something really complex and difficult (I heard that for the Investigation Coursework, figuring out a working 6-variable formula will get you 8 for at least solving... I did that but I worked it out logically which was easy rather than looking for sequences).

Apparently, the grade boundary for A* is 22/24, so you need 8/8 in at least one area

ReputationRep:
    So what is the boundary for an 'A'. And also if you do get an A in the coursework, what percentage would I need for an A in the exam?

ReputationRep:
    i cudnt be bothered with coursework - got a B on it
    in the exam i got 76 and 74, which was an A (i did it a yr earlier).
    i think that yr it was 83 for an A*, 61 for an A.

that was june 2002. im sure its gone down to about 54% for an A now (on the papers).

ReputationRep:
    In my case, I got an A* in maths after a 3-3-4 on both courseworks. I needed about 90% to get an A* with those marks, but I managed it.

Someone in my class, who had 8-8-8 coursework, got an A overall with only 56% in the exam.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 11, 2003

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.