Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok, i know its not technicaly 'cooking,' but i want to know. Can you put the metal beans can in the microwave or will it break the microwave or something? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Don't put metal in the micro!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I had a bad experience with metal in microwaves, i tried to soften some butter in the microwave and i forgot the wrapping around the butter was metal, and it caught fire!

if you put the means in a plastic/ceramic/glass bowl you can heat them up in the microwave. Alternatively you can put them in a saucepan and heat then on the hob...

ReputationRep:
    ok cheers people. im really gonna have to learn to cook before uni :p:

ReputationRep:
    put the baked beans into a bowl (glass, ceramic etc.... not a plastic one... unless its a special plastic microwavable one) and put in microwave... stir it halfway thru heating...

my new book: 'POP! goes the weasel!.......... and other fun microwave games!'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metta)
    ok cheers people. im really gonna have to learn to cook before uni :p:
    Go catered for the first year! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    i was tempted, but then i thought, if i do self-catered i wont feel bad about missing breakfast. Also its seems so schooly, sitting on big ol' tables like that...

PS: i used the bowl idea, and it seems to be working fine

ReputationRep:
    I can't use microwaves.... I tried to heat a croissant and it came out looking like charcoal. I couldn't break it either!

that is my first and only encounter with a microwave, so I hope I don't have to use them when I go to uni!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You can open it and put them in the oven! Alternatively, you can cook them in the can in the kettle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Don't put metal in the micro!! :eek:

And don't plunge a metal spoon into boiling liquid immediately after taking the liquid out of the microwave either. It is likely to boil over.

Always remove twist ties from fozen food. They often contain a metal strip which you can't see.

Don't use patterned plates. The design may contain metal.

Aitch
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Juno)
    You can open it and put them in the oven! Alternatively, you can cook them in the can in the kettle
    I've never thought of using a kettle before...would you after to make a hole in the top of the can first to stop the pressure building up inside?

ReputationRep:
    you know it is pretty easy to open the can and put the beans in a pan..... or am I just being old fashioned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *steph 247*)
    you know it is pretty easy to open the can and put the beans in a pan..... or am I just being old fashioned?
    if you do it the microwave way the can tells you how long to leave it for. im lazy...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Roger Kirk)
    I've never thought of using a kettle before...would you after to make a hole in the top of the can first to stop the pressure building up inside?
    Yeah. And take the label off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *steph 247*)
    No its called being a 'women'

ReputationRep:
    Hi ridgeback. made any toast yet? or is that still too difficult?

(new avatar!!!!!!, nice! )

ReputationRep:
    Screw cooking the damn things, i eat them fresh out of the tin.

ReputationRep:
    There was a guy at my old school who ate cold baked bean sandwiches every day!!! :puke:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Don't see what's wrong with heating them on gas stoves, personally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewsJoseph)
    Don't see what's wrong with heating them on gas stoves, personally
    SEE I'm not alone!!!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.