Turn on thread page Beta

Contraceptive pill advice watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leannemann)
    I'm on Microgynon 30 and have never had any side effects. On this pill, you only get a period when you stop taking the pill for the week and the lack of hormones in your body produces the bleed. So basically, if you run packs together, then the hormone level won't drop = no period.
    I wish I'd never stopped using it. No problems the first time, started again and my period didn't even stop, and still hasn't. *Rolls eyes*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottie)
    I wish I'd never stopped using it. No problems the first time, started again and my period didn't even stop, and still hasn't. *Rolls eyes*.
    Mine's still going after 9 days!!

Cxx

ReputationRep:
    There isn't really any point asking about other people's side effects because you can't predict how you will react. Most doctors suggset microgynon first and if you haven't tried it already i suggest you do because many people are very happy on it.

All pills carry a risk of blood clots but dianette is slightly higher because it is a pro-hormone pill. However there seems to be varied opinion within the medical world as to how big a risk that is - i saw 3 or 4 doctors while i was on it - 1 was shocked i'd been on it so long, the other 2 saw no problem whatsoever for staying on it indefinitely.

Talk to your doctor, take their advice!

ReputationRep:
    I've been on dianette ages and never had a problem. And I have a family history of high blood pressure and DVT.

Either the risks not major or my doctor is a muppet. (well she is a muppet but still)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachaelmarie)
    I've been on dianette ages and never had a problem. And I have a family history of high blood pressure and DVT.

Either the risks not major or my doctor is a muppet. (well she is a muppet but still)
    The risk is slightly higher than with other contraceptive pills which is why it is not prescribed as a contraceptive, as there are other pills out there with a lower risk, and why take the risk unless it's necessary? (for acne or something.)

As long as you have regular check ups, don't smoke and are generally healthy, and are aware of the dangers, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciara)
    Mine's still going after 9 days!!

Cxx
    Three weeks and counting.
    I'm demanding a review next week, I go to Turkey in three weeks and only wanted the pill so I could have more controlled periods on holiday!

ReputationRep:
    I'm demanding a review next week, I go to Turkey in three weeks and only wanted the pill so I could have more controlled periods on holiday!
    Hehe same! I did want it for the extra contraceptive but am off to Zante in 2 weeks so thought it would make things easier.

I think mine is just spotting that has come after my period, as my periods are ridiculously heavy, and this is lighter and very on and off. I was kind of expecting it, it's normal in the first few cycles until you get used to it. However, if you are bleeding more than a bit then just come off it, you'll get ill losing all that blood!

Cxx

ReputationRep:
    I started Yasmin a month ago and my period didn't stop until two days ago when I started my second cycle of pills. I was really worried at first,so I checked out the website and it said if you just started taking it, the bleeding should stop once your body gets adjusted to the pill(about 2 or 3 pill cycles...so 2 or 3 months)...which I was really pissed off about because I didnt want to be bleeding for 2 or 3 months :mad: . It's stopped though....and now... I can FINALLY get laid :p: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I have been on 4 pills.

Microgynon 30 for approx 18months: Initially, fantastic. My periods were regular and fairly light with no pain. My skin didn't change and there was no mood problems or breakthrough bleeding. My appetite increase as did my boob size as I had put on a bit of weight but nothing major.

Then my period pain started to get worse and worse and as I went on the pill for period pain initially I wasn't pleased. I then changed.

Marvelon for 3months: This was my 2nd pill and it's a 3rd generation pill I think. I went on this as my doctor suggested it might help with the period pain more as it was newer. I hated it, it made me feel sick and moody and didn't help my period pain at all! My periods were regular though and no breakthrough bleeding

Cilest for 3months: Tried this next as a friend of mine was on it. When choosing pills it is a bit trial and error. I found that I wasn't so moody with Cilest although I did feel sick quite a lot of the time. Regular periods and no breakthrough but the sickness was horrid and I still got just as period pain although it was better.

Cerazette - ongoing: My dad died of a DVT and a subsequent Pulmonary Embolism 3 months ago I now have a hereditary risk of one which meant I had to come of my pill containing oestegon. Cerazette is the best known POP and you take it every day of the month.

Recently Cerazette has had the "OK" time for being late for a pill increased from 3hrs to 12 which has made it much more popular. My periods have been light, but long, about 8 days, and there has now after my 2nd period been breakthrough bleeding every day but not enough that I have to wear any protection.

I have had no problems with moods or sickness or anything. My skin hasn't changed noticably on any pill but it seems maybe a little better on this one.

ReputationRep:
    Sophdoph - thankya for the info, very helpful.

To those of you who have had marathon periods, ARGH, I want to change this pill but I'm going on holiday a month later n do NOT want a period then!
    Grrr it's so difficult! But thankyou all for alerting me to these possibilities!!

ReputationRep:
    No one has mentioned Ovranette. I've been on that for a couple of years now and have had no problems or side effects at all.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered the contraceptive injection?
    I go every three months to the doctors and have a jag, depo (not sure of the full name) my periods stopped immediately and i havent had any problems whatsoever, plus i dont have to remember to take a tablet, i was so crap at that!!

ReputationRep:
    hey im on microgynon 30 and i lost sm weight and got boobs, ive been on it since september and ive had no bad side affects. periods are waaaaay lighter (and down from 7 to 4 days) and my skins much clearer around my period. xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i know this is an old thread but i tried going off Dianette after 2 years cause it made my face puffy and i put on weight but when i went off it, my spots came back within a month and the only weight i lost was from my chest! Sod's law or what! JUst be very careful because I'd forgotten how awful it was to have bad skin and it takes a while for ur body to readjust if you do decide to go back on it. I also didnt have a normal period for 8 months afterwards :s so it meant i had to wait a long time before going back on it. Dianette is not ideal i'd agree but my doctot refuses to give me Yasmin

ReputationRep:
    He said the press has exaggerrated about the benefits of Yasmin! I didn't really put up much of a fight but i didn't realise that Dianette was worse than the other pills for DVT risk. I'm going to ask again now after reading this

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to the docs in the morning to get off the mini pill and ask for yasmin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sezmeister)
    Hi, i know this is an old thread but i tried going off Dianette after 2 years cause it made my face puffy and i put on weight but when i went off it, my spots came back within a month and the only weight i lost was from my chest! Sod's law or what! JUst be very careful because I'd forgotten how awful it was to have bad skin and it takes a while for ur body to readjust if you do decide to go back on it. I also didnt have a normal period for 8 months afterwards :s so it meant i had to wait a long time before going back on it. Dianette is not ideal i'd agree but my doctot refuses to give me Yasmin
    Good point.. I couldn't handle having bad skin again. And the irregular periods for ages after would be more hassle than I need! Argh this is so complicated! I'd hope I'd change this pill and have no issues with the changeover but knowing my luck, it'll be awful.. maybe I'll just stick with Dianette until my skin's perfect!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sezmeister)
    He said the press has exaggerrated about the benefits of Yasmin! I didn't really put up much of a fight but i didn't realise that Dianette was worse than the other pills for DVT risk. I'm going to ask again now after reading this
    Yasmin also has an increased risk of DVT i.e. more than other forms of the pill. It's just a newer drug so no enough research has come out about it to be conclusive about the risks of DVT. The press has definately exaggerrated the benefits of Yasmin but it may suit you. Ask him spefically why he doesn't want to give it to you because he may have good reasons. Also there are other types of the pill rather than Yasmin and Dianette that are meant to be good for your skin and you should ask about those too.

ReputationRep:
    i never knew yasmin had a higher dvt risk than other pills? its the most popular pill in america, surely something with increased risk wouldnt be prescribed the most over there? (yasmin is the usa equivalent of the UK microgynon)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenna999)
    i never knew yasmin had a higher dvt risk than other pills? its the most popular pill in america, surely something with increased risk wouldnt be prescribed the most over there? (yasmin is the usa equivalent of the UK microgynon)
    LOL Vioxx anyone? A lot of drugs get approved even though there are doubts about them and then years later they get removed because further studies find them dangerous. I posted the link to a study on Yasmin and DVT before in another thread. They found an increased risk but decided the results were "inconclusive" because of possible confounds in the study or something like that. I don't there is any suggestion it is as "bad" as Dianette and seeing as all types of the contraceptive pills increase your risk I wouldn't be turned off Yasmin because of it. I just think all the hype about Yasmin as the "safe" alternative to Dianette is a bit silly.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 28, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.